U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 AM

5 posts, read 4,590 times

Advertisements

When I first set foot in INverness, I said I wanted to live here one day. At the time, I lived in Port St Lucie, Fla. I moved here 2 1/2 years ago and simply love it. I am not a beach person so the distance from the beach does not bother me. I love the woodsy, hilly, look of the area. Just taking a drive down a street with wide open spaces relaxes me. I am finally home after being all over the state of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 AM

381 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer14 View Post
Thanks everyone!!!As what I have mentioned in my initial post, we still have a good few years before we retire, so if we are successful in finding the right home , we plan to either rent it out or use it as a holiday home.Any thoughts regarding this?Do you think its easy to rent out a property in Inverness?

My FIL is a resident of Inverness as well as a real estate broker.

He owns rental properties and has no problem keeping them leased.

Nice area down there.

I love to drive beneath the Oak Canopy in Floral City.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM

18,586 posts, read 23,117,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I am sure you will make the correct decision in time.

If you are beach loving people or just want to be around beaches then NP would be the wise choice.

Inverness is a nice nestled secret in Florida but would be a long commute to a decent beach.

Someone on this board a while back said if you go to the beach more then 5 times in a month then you need to be within 30 minutes of the beach. I tend to believe them but again it depends on how much beach time you want to have and if you mind an hour or more commute to a decent beach.

Good luck and go down and drive from Inverness to your pick of beaches so you will know what you might be up against.

In our move to Florida in a couple of months we had to give up some things to get other things so it was a trade off so everyone could have a little of what they like close by.
Personally. I doubt we would visit the beach more than 5 times a month. Three or four sound about right. We also want to avoid some of the problems and inflated prices associated with many but not all coastal areas.

We would also like to put in a semi-inground pool. We would be living there part time. Most likely, after the holidays for a good deal of January, February and part of March.
The house has three bedrooms and 2 baths. It's under 60K and needs a bit of work but nothing crazy.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 AM

21 posts, read 45,427 times
Default Shands Hospital in Gainesville

Can anyone tell me approximately how far Shands Hospital is from Inverness? My husband and I are considering retiring there within the next year or two, and this would be a critical issue for us since I had triple bypass surgery several years ago (in Tampa) and Tampa General is much further away.

I am already impressed by the good things people are saying about Inverness, so being able to consider Shands would be great.

Thanks also for any additional information anyone can provide about the Inverness area.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:21 AM

492 posts, read 1,237,849 times
Default Just Google it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieburger View Post
Can anyone tell me approximately how far Shands Hospital is from Inverness?
About 74 miles.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&g...hands+Hospital

Old 05-03-2013, 08:34 AM

494 posts, read 876,490 times
About 75 miles if you go most of the way on I-75. You can get the miles count down (to in the 60s) by instead taking various local roads, but I'm not sure whether, in terms of drive time, the difference is maybe a wash (or worse) due to local roads' being slower. (I'm not local; a local person could give you a better idea of best route.)

Edit: Saw after I posted that someone else has already answered.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 05-03-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 14,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
My SO and I really love this area, too. The biggest drawback from our perspective is the distance to a decent beach. We want to relocate to Florida as soon as possible, but will probably have to wait until he can retire in 5 years (I retired 2 years ago so I am good to go!). We are torn between Inverness with its low key atmosphere, beautiful lakes, great bike trails and steadier property values, and the Port Charlotte/North Port area further south, with the fantastic real estate bargains, proximity to the beach, and more tropical climate.

Decisions...decisions!

I agree totally the biggest drawback with this area is the fact that it takes so long to get to a nice beach. A huge reason for this is the coast line around the Inverness / Citrus County is known as the "nature coast" which means most of the coastal land is actually protected land. No development is aloud and therefore not a lot of beach opportunity.

That being said, we are close to the coast and a ton of people head out on their boat during the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or