Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM

51 posts, read 158,847 times

Advertisements

I live in fishkill ny, I want opions on palm coast I have a 2 yr old and we eventually will want more, the prices look good compared to here but is it a safe area? and a good place to raise kids? any feedback would be great thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times
You're from NY? You'll love it. All your buddies from back home are already there!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredoibelong? View Post
I live in fishkill ny, I want opions on palm coast I have a 2 yr old and we eventually will want more, the prices look good compared to here but is it a safe area? and a good place to raise kids? any feedback would be great thank you
Palm Coast is very safe for the most part though there are some older areas with some questionable residents. The older areas are the among the first built in Palm Coast back in the 1970s and 1980s, and they're on the east side. As a rule anything west of I-95 is going to be nicer, including the schools.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 AM

227 posts, read 855,961 times
Agree with kyle but availability of jobs is the biggest challenge. Most folks have to travel to the Daytona/Ormond Beach area.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

236 posts, read 900,587 times
I live in Palm Coast. Its a wonderful place. No area is really "bad". Just not as good as the others. CanT help about the schools, my grandson is in St Johns County. But shopping, area, close to the beach, medical, and plenty to do. Its all here. Other poster is right about jobs though, its either driving to Jacksonville, or Daytona. Not much here other than service jobs.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:59 AM

191 posts, read 632,555 times
Area is dead there are better choices...

Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
I recently (last 6 months) moved to Palm Coast from North Carolina with my husband and we're both in our late 20's. I had a job lined up in Daytona, but coming from a very small town I didn't want to move to a place as large as Daytona, so I checked out forums and decided Palm Coast would be a good option.

We found a rental and moved in sight unseen. We were not told of the different "areas" and which ones to avoid, and our house is located in the Northern 'P' section. We haven't had any problems other than loud music every once in a while, but have heard of car break ins and burglaries in the lower 'P' sections, around 6 miles away. Working in Daytona I get to hear about all the real crime in other cities and it make me feel better that I chose Palm Coast.

The area is really nice and there is tons to do if your a nature person and, are not into the bar scene. We love the fact that we're between so many national parks, the beach, hiking trails, and Daytona and St. Augustine are only about 45 minutes away.

We live close to the Elementary school and there are always tons of kids riding their bikes and playing on the sidewalks, so it seems to be a pretty good place to raise children.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:52 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Palm Coast is very safe for the most part though there are some older areas with some questionable residents. The older areas are the among the first built in Palm Coast back in the 1970s and 1980s, and they're on the east side. As a rule anything west of I-95 is going to be nicer, including the schools.
That's not necessarily true. Some of the priciest areas, like the "C" section, which is mostly all canal-front and gated communities like Grand Haven are all close to the river (east side.) Some of the trashiest areas are the streets with duplexes in the "new B" and "E" sections, which are west of 95. And I don't know of any schools east of 95, other than Old King's Elementary, which is a few hundred feet east of 95.

There are hundreds of homes in forclosure and too many absentee landlords who'll rent to anybody out of desparation. It's great time to buy and it sounds like you're in it for awhile since you're asking about schools already, but be very careful that your neighbors are long-time owners.

Like I've said before, if you do not have a job lined up or have substantial savings, do not move here. The unemployment here is realistically about
30% and not much better in Daytona.

The crime in Palm Coast is mostly burglaries, which is to be expected with a high unemployment rate.

And FSUMike is right. Seems like most everybody in Palm Coast is from NY!!

Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
I have been looking at Palm Coast as a possible place to live, with young children.

Is there a suggested 'zone' to steer clear of? I keep reading about all the letter zones....I assume this is the 1st letter of the street names.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
We've been here for 2.5 years and we love it. Yes, jobs are scarce, but if you have a job, it's a great place. I've been very impressed with the schools schools here and my children are very happy. My kids are mostly involved in scouting and church, but now my son is interested in the archery program at school and my daughter wants to start karate and horsebackriding. There are so many parks, preserves, trails, beaches. If you like to be outdoors, it's great! As for people from NY, we're not. We moved here from OH and we know people from the Carolinas, Canada and other parts of Florida. Yes, the area is economically depressed, but it's still beautiful here, the weather if great and there are still shops and restaurants here. Having more employed people move here can only make it better!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida