U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 18,727 times

Advertisements

Hi! Considering moving to commuting distance of JAX from west coast (lived in Oregon, California, and, currently, Idaho). Plan to visit soon but can anyone give me some insight about what Fernandina Beach would be like to live in? Also wonder about just across the GA border (St Marys/Kingsland). I also want to be sure that my 15-year-old will be able to find a good college near enough not to leave me too soon! I understand there'll be bugs but I guess that's what chemicals are for. I'm not too worried about gators getting my granny because, after Jaws, there's no way I'm going in the water, but what else is there to be worried about? I know from experience that it's always the questions you don't even know to ask that get ya... Thanks so much for any and all help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2006, 04:30 PM

7 posts, read 77,625 times
Hi,
I'm writing to give you my insights on FB area. My husband accepted a job and has been living in Jax since september. We also have a 15 yr old ( and an 11 yr old), and schools are our #1 priority. That said, we would have chose Nease HS in Ponte Vedra, but we would have had to make MAJOR compromises on housing ( WAY TOO EXPENSIVE). I am the type who spends ridiculous amounts of time doing research, and we have decided to buy a home in North Hampton. Off the island, but a FB address. It is very family oriented, though a lot of "cookie cutter" homes. We like the casual atmosphere there, less keeping up with the Jones's ( as in In Ponte Vedra). The beach is 7 miles, it is more relaxed atmosphere. My husband has several coworkers who live there and love it. removed .

A new high school is opening in August (Yulee) , sharing a campus with the middle school. I spoke with the woman who will be prin****l, and was very impressed. They will offer AP classes right away, as needed. I am a bit nervous about a new school, but I want to be involved, and she wants parents who want to be involved. Great way to start (for me at least).
All of the communities off-island will send their kids there, except the ones who choose to stay at FB HS, and a lot are staying.

Feel free to email me if I can help you anymore. I live in Tampa area, and am looking forward to the much more calm, less traffic-filled area.

Last edited by Marka; 03-24-2006 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-24-2006, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 77,625 times
oh, just to add. I don't know about colleges yet, but Florida has a program called " bight futures". If you get good grades and so a certain amount of volunteer work you get tuition paid at a public college by the satate. GOOD DEAL< EH?
Also, Georgia has state income tax, Florida does not. You might want to live on the Fla side if you work in Fla. Otherwise I heard St Marys is very nice.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 29,361 times
Default child friendly?

After doing some research, Amelia Island looks to be a great place to live.
I would like to semi retire, maybe a little coaching (high school 25 years football and track), or maybe work at a golf course. My wife loves the older section of the island and has thoughts of opening a small business, she is a professional interior designer and loves making jewelry. We have a four year old who is very athletic and active. He is a main reson for our relocation, we want an active outdoor lifestyle for him. How are the youth sports? That is one area that is difficult to research? What is available for the young golfers, little leaguers, youth football etc. and how are the schools?
thanks for any ideas

Old 03-31-2006, 09:27 AM

121 posts, read 715,688 times
On the college front - UNF is a pretty good school located between Beach Blvd and J Turner Butler Blvd.. University of Florida is close- 75 miles away, so any location in NE Florida will work RE: colleges. Florida State, which has complementary programs to UF is 160 miles away. For instance both have criminal justice programs but FSU has a CJ program that is nationally ranked.
UF has a school of architecture and building construction, the BC program is one of the top programs in the country, as well as the Journalism and MBA programs. FSU doesnt provide BC, etc. But it has an excellent Hotel program etc.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM

49 posts, read 243,896 times
Lots to do for the kiddies in Amelia Island. Amelia Ritz has a good golf program for kids from what I heard. Amelia Arts Academy has a wonderful children's art and music program. Football is a big passion here as well. (Afterall, we're near Jacksonville.) Golf is very big in this area too. Public schools in Nassau County are rated well, but as far as comparing with the rest of Northeast Florida, St. John's County ranks much better. Yulee is building a new high school that will be opening this fall. There are only a few private schools available and unfortunately, all them only go to the 8th grade. Parents desiring to send their high school student to a private school would be hard pressed to find one close by. The closest is Jacksonville and depending on where they go, it's a commute any way you cut it. Only one that I know of (Bolles Academy) has a bus that will pick up in Nassau County. Otherwise, parents, you are on your own. Fernandina Beach High School although it ranked as an "A" last year, ranked as a "B" this year. Not sure why. Homeschooling is very popular here as well. Florida Community College does have a branch in Nassau County, actually in Yulee, which is new and beautifully located in a wooded area. However, their course curriculum there is limited so many of the courses must be taken in the Jacksonville locations. Unfortunately, even if you are going to the Yulee branch, course books have to be purchased at the downtown campus in JAX.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 AM

14 posts, read 96,814 times
to lastmove4me-
I live in Jax and am contemplating a move to Yulee in a new home subdivision - Timbercreek Plantation. I know that the Yulee High School has been open for a few months now and am wanting your thoughts and observations. I have a 14 & 12 year old. What do you think of Yulee in general. Is it TOO rural? What is it REALLY like? and most importantly - what are the people like???

Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 39,645 times
If you are set on moving to Amelia Island or Fernandina Beach (really the same), my advice to any newcomer is to steer clear of the locals. My best friend lived in Amelia Island for a year or so and loved it when she was hardly at home or in town- she traveled often. After she purchased a home there and was recognized as a permanent local, people attitudes changed almost overnight. I have visited this town many many times and I have witnessed nothing other than pure class conflict. There are very few middle class in this town. People here are either wealthy (for NE Florida) or dirt poor and struggling, looking for ways to survive by ripping off the people with money on the island (Amelia). People there are very competitive and will eventually find a reason to dislike or pick you apart if you intimidate them. Many locals in this town are uneducated and are descendants of Blue Collar families who resent the newcomers who move into their town. Fernandina is also full of gossip and pettiness. Even the Fernandina Police Department is gossipy and they tend to ridicule and harass the citizens of Fernandina behind closed doors. I know this may sound negative but its very true and anyone who lives there long term will quickly witness what I am talking about. If you enjoy being in an area with alot of big fish wannabes in a small sea, then this is the place for you. But if you are extensively educated, refined and polished and you actually care about ethics and respectful interactions in your community, I would seriously consider a different area for permanent residency.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 49,239 times
It sounds like you need another vacation to me. As a local, and I can't speak for all of the locals but if you are a negative person, more often than not, you will be treated that way. As for the PD, I agree with you- they are as crooked as it gets. But you have to enjoy your surroundings no matter where you are. I have a place in the mountains and at the beach and I can enjoy the beauty of both. When you are a negative person, you surround yourself with ugliness. Not very enjoyable, is it? If I were you and looking for an immediate fulfillment, I would take a walk down the beach or a bike ride to the downtown docks. I bet you would feel better about yourself and your environment.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 39,645 times
With all due respect, I feel completely great in my own environment. If you read my posts, I based most of my information on my best friend's experiences, and even my own while staying in the area for an extended visit (four months). My opinion is my own and as the result of this being a message board about Fernandina, I am expressing my feelings about it and am being sincere in my efforts to enable others to make an informed decision about the place before moving there. Agreeably some people may love living in Fernandina Beach while others may cringe at the thought of it, as I do. I'm not a difficult person; I think I interact well with people almost any place I go with the exception of Fernandina Beach where I truly believe a different breed exists. I apologize if that disturbs or insults you. I respect the fact that you are a Fernandina Native but I happen to know some pretty evil things about this place and wouldn't ever do someone the injustice of suggesting this as a great place to live.

Last edited by corensickle; 03-09-2008 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or