U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,889,736 times

Advertisements

I do not want this to turn into another "North vs. South weather" type of thread, as we already have too many of those.

That being said, thank God for diversity in regions, climate, and preferences on our great country. Few other places on this earth can one freely live in coastal areas, mountains, and almost everything in between.

I totally understand dreamer1's thinking. It is currently 5 degrees here, snowing, and our low tonight will be at least 5 below zero. For folks that do not understand how cold this is, it makes 32 degrees feel like a heat wave. We have many folks here who have to make the choice to either heat or eat. Pipes freeze. You can easily pay $500-$1000 a month to heat your house.

We can go days without seeing any Sun. You go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Roads can be treacherous. Remote starters are a godsend, as you need to run your car at least 20 minutes before going anywhere. With gas at around $3.35/gal that also hurts.

But that is life. Some folks up here love the snow and cold. They buy $10k snowmobiles, etc. The skiing is great. They love their 4 wheel drive SUV's.

We are all wired different, and need to understand that. There are things I love about NY. There are things I love about Florida. There are things I dislike about both places.

On the other hand, I understand that there are many folks in Florida who do not like it there, and get tired of the upswing of folks in the dead of winter lusting for Florida without knowing anything about it, thinking it is all sand, sunshine and Micky Mouse. It is not.

Bottom line is this. No place is perfect. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you do not like a place, move. If there is a reason you cannot, then make the best of it and stop complaining. DO SOME RESEARCH, make a well thought out successfulplan and do it. Be honest with what you can do, and why you want to do it. If you are unhappy, just moving will not solve all of your problems. Florida is not some magic pill that makes life perfect. you could either light a candle or curse the darkness.....start lighting some candles. If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.

I have done, or I should say am in the process of doing the above. My NY home should be on the market this spring, and I plan on moving full time to my Florida home this year. I am thinking this may be my last winter here. For those not happy with Florida, I know of a great house available soon up here.....I'll even throw in the snowblower... Enjoy!!

Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 13,175,680 times
Great post Frank. Good luck on your move. You said it: Everyone is wired differently and has different desires. But to moan and complain about the lack of whatever it is in your life is silly. Just do what you gotta do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I do not want this to turn into another "North vs. South weather" type of thread, as we already have too many of those.

That being said, thank God for diversity in regions, climate, and preferences on our great country. Few other places on this earth can one freely live in coastal areas, mountains, and almost everything in between.

I totally understand dreamer1's thinking. It is currently 5 degrees here, snowing, and our low tonight will be at least 5 below zero. For folks that do not understand how cold this is, it makes 32 degrees feel like a heat wave. We have many folks here who have to make the choice to either heat or eat. Pipes freeze. You can easily pay $500-$1000 a month to heat your house.

We can go days without seeing any Sun. You go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Roads can be treacherous. Remote starters are a godsend, as you need to run your car at least 20 minutes before going anywhere. With gas at around $3.35/gal that also hurts.

But that is life. Some folks up here love the snow and cold. They buy $10k snowmobiles, etc. The skiing is great. They love their 4 wheel drive SUV's.

We are all wired different, and need to understand that. There are things I love about NY. There are things I love about Florida. There are things I dislike about both places.

On the other hand, I understand that there are many folks in Florida who do not like it there, and get tired of the upswing of folks in the dead of winter lusting for Florida without knowing anything about it, thinking it is all sand, sunshine and Micky Mouse. It is not.

Bottom line is this. No place is perfect. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you do not like a place, move. If there is a reason you cannot, then make the best of it and stop complaining. DO SOME RESEARCH, make a well thought out successfulplan and do it. Be honest with what you can do, and why you want to do it. If you are unhappy, just moving will not solve all of your problems. Florida is not some magic pill that makes life perfect. you could either light a candle or curse the darkness.....start lighting some candles. If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.

I have done, or I should say am in the process of doing the above. My NY home should be on the market this spring, and I plan on moving full time to my Florida home this year. I am thinking this may be my last winter here. For those not happy with Florida, I know of a great house available soon up here.....I'll even throw in the snowblower... Enjoy!!

Frank

Old 01-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Good reasoning. You found the right place. Now to get the others who want to be somewhere on their way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Parents immigrated there when i was young, i had no say in the matter..
Went night skiing last night, what a rush..
Went similar to this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HryMKrxt69U

Old 01-23-2011, 10:41 AM

Ah, Winter Park. Spent 17 years there. Things certainly change as we age. At 23 I was a New Yorker, tried and true. I had seen other parts of the world by that time (Navy) and knew that there was better. Took 8 years to realize we had to leave and 2 years preparing for it.
We knew what the story was in FL and we knew that is what we wanted.
It's been good.

Health concerns would be a certain reason for relocation. For me, I was allergic to temperatures below 50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I came here in 1994 with my ex girlfriend, didn't know a thing about FL at all except for the obvious... Disney, beaches, palm trees, warm in the winter... I loved it here back then, I was also 23 years old. I found out what summer was like here pretty quick as I lived in winter Park. It didn't bother me so much then. Jobs were everywhere, it was a pick and choose world back then. I was doing machine work in Lake Mary back then until I met a friend who got me into the apartment maintenance thing. Since then I have worked my way around FL at different properties and have been in management since. I make a decent living, that is NOT why I am leaving FL. I live free here, pay no utilities and make $30k with free health insurance(Canadian owned company). I have enjoyed just about all of my years in FL. I have in the past few years acquired a wonderful health issue with heat affecting it bad in the summer months(MS). If not for that I might be here longer.

So.... I am no Florida "Newbie" or going to sit on here and cry and post blame that Florida caused all my problems. I also have family up there, I miss season changes. mostly I want to feel good health wise. Because since the hot crap went away in December I have felt GREAT!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM

I agree with you Ken. I have a sister in northern Maine. She loves that type of life. Me too, but take out the cold from September-June and I would like it too. You had a plan, now your plan is at the next point of execution. Better than those who had no plan upon coming and still have no plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Just because someone wants to go "home" doesent necessarily mean that they don't like Florida. We moved down almost 10 years ago and have enjoyed it a lot. We actually got to do a lot of things that most people wait until retirement to do. The actual plan was only to be here for 5 years but due to business obligation's ect has turned into 10 years. I will always enjoy coming back to visit. We've made a lot of good friends. As you mention the lack of quality of life in NYC , living in Fl i really miss the awsome quality of life in N.H. We should be headed back in about 6 weeks.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,501,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Just because someone wants to go "home" doesent necessarily mean that they don't like Florida. We moved down almost 10 years ago and have enjoyed it a lot. We actually got to do a lot of things that most people wait until retirement to do. The actual plan was only to be here for 5 years but due to business obligation's ect has turned into 10 years. I will always enjoy coming back to visit. We've made a lot of good friends. As you mention the lack of quality of life in NYC , living in Fl i really miss the awsome quality of life in N.H. We should be headed back in about 6 weeks.
Enjoy my friend, enjoy.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,470,140 times
Quote:
Enjoy my friend, enjoy.
You wont be far behind.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM

10,540 posts, read 10,753,558 times
Quote:
So.... I am no Florida "Newbie" or going to sit on here and cry and post blame that Florida caused all my problems. I also have family up there, I miss season changes. mostly I want to feel good health wise. Because since the hot crap went away in December I have felt GREAT!
I wonder if FL, along with the rest of the country is in a long-term trend change in the weather. Over the last decade, we've had some of the hottest weather during the summer and coolest weather during the winter. This past December was the coolest on record for FL.

Something to keep in mind I guess.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,501,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I wonder if FL, along with the rest of the country is in a long-term trend change in the weather. Over the last decade, we've had some of the hottest weather during the summer and coolest weather during the winter. This past December was the coolest on record for FL.

Something to keep in mind I guess.
You are right, the last 3-4 years have been pretty weird. Last winter was pretty cold by Florisa standards for a couple months on end. Then like a switch it got ridiculously hot. I think it has gotten hotter in the summer over the last 7-8 years. This last December was pretty cool out. There were days this past summer it was cooler here in SWFL than it was in MA.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 181,999 times
I thought I would give a quick weather update for those of you who love the cold: I just came back from my son's hockey game. The car temperature says that it is -7 outside. This is the coldest I have seen it in a while. To think that I can't go for a nice walk outside until May just depresses me. Sorry to those of you who think I am a downer. On the bright side, it may go up to 10 tomorrow. Hooray. As for a plan, we have our plan to go down to good ol Florida about 10 years from now as long as everything goes according to plan. In the meantime, I'll do what I have done every winter for the last 35 years. Deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida