Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Florida Require
Vehicle Emission Inspections 9 22.50%
Basic Vehicle Inspections 9 22.50%
Neither 25 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,989 times

Advertisements

Years ago Florida used to require vehicle emission inspections. The state I came from used to also require basic vehicle inspections. (Checking the horn, lights, tires etc)

Today Jacksonville issued an air quality advisory for ozone. So that got me thinking...

Would you like to see Florida:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,130 times
God yes. The air quality in FL is significantly worse than it is in states that require inspections, and it is also really detrimental to the local environment that tourists and residents alike are here for. It would be a good investment in preserving our tourist economy, as well as quality of life, plus it would provide some revenue for a broke govt. to improve roads and other public works - which sorely need it.

Vehicle inspections would also make the roads significantly safer. Many cars are not road-worthy, much less highway-worthy, hence the chunks of car one finds all over the roads and highways in FL. I have had more flat tires and under-carriage damage in FL than I have in any other state, and I have driven in nearly every state and take road trips frequently. Almost every single time I drive by Daytona on 95 I get a flat, because the highway there is so littered with chunks of car that have fallen off. On one trip, I had just had a half-day detour in Daytona because of a sudden flat while going 75mph that fortunately didn't kill me, then late the same day I was coming into Miami and pulled off the highway, only to have the car in front of me lose its entire bumper and my undercarriage slammed right into that huge piece of metal and two of my tires rolled over its sharp edge. More damage, and again, fortunately no serious personal injury. Of course, the bumperless car just kept driving, clueless. Everyone else swerved around me and honked at my broken vehicle (sitting on a bumper with its hazard lights on), and of course not a single person stopped.

Although inspections can be used for corruption, in most states they simply dramatically improve the safety for everyone in the state. They prevent accidents due to faulty brakes and other issues that can harm pedestrians as much as other drivers. They improve the air, which helps people with asthma and prevents ozone issues that lead to skin cancer, which of course is a major concern here. They're not that expensive, usually something like $35, and the improvement it makes to road safety thus lessens insurance claims and thus brings down insurance rates for everyone in the entire state (FL has in many areas some of the highest car insurance rates anywhere in the country). So in the end, it saves us all money, and improves quality of life. For those who have lived in states where inspections are required and there is an actual standard for what is allowed on the road, it is hard to understand why FL would not hold a standard for its people's quality of living. There are far more positives than negatives. And since everybody likes that word, yes, required inspections are also a "job creator."

Old 05-22-2014, 12:35 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishKey View Post
God yes. The air quality in FL is significantly worse than it is in states that require inspections
Really? I'm pretty sure CA, TX and PA have worse air quality. And they all have inspections.

American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Most Polluted Cities

Don't see a single FL city on there.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:43 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,927 times
I would vote for bi-yearly vehicle inspections, (brakes, tires, lights, etc...) for there are way to many vehicle owner's out there that only service their vehicles when they have to.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:15 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Oh man how many beaters I see with smoke just barreling out of the muffler. They should also do insurance checks when they do the emissions check since we have over 25% of drivers on FL roads uninsured. The fines they would rack up (would probably be plenty) should go to help maintain our roads and public education.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM

299 posts, read 377,888 times
NO NO NO

Just more tax revenue.. The brief period Florida had emissions inspections did nothing to improve the air quality. As far as vehicle inspections. There are zero stats that show cars are safer with them... I was in Texas recently and saw a "rent a tire" store.

I get tired of folks from "up north" moving here and calling for these worthless rules to be implemented. If it was so great up north them please go back.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboytampabay View Post
NO NO NO

Just more tax revenue.. The brief period Florida had emissions inspections did nothing to improve the air quality. As far as vehicle inspections. There are zero stats that show cars are safer with them... I was in Texas recently and saw a "rent a tire" store.

I get tired of folks from "up north" moving here and calling for these worthless rules to be implemented. If it was so great up north them please go back.
Are you from up north? Im born and raised in Tampa and think its a great idea, look at all the idiots on the road with pieces of crap and no insurance if we can reduce the liability to others by just 5% then it is more than worth it.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:16 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Are you from up north? Im born and raised in Tampa and think its a great idea, look at all the idiots on the road with pieces of crap and no insurance if we can reduce the liability to others by just 5% then it is more than worth it.
Although I agree with your logic, is that 5% worth it when it subjects everyone else to the tests as opposed to the people who are less likely to adhere to the mandates (i.e. people with clunkers, no insurance, no license)? This state is full of all three.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:24 AM

729 posts, read 1,300,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Oh man how many beaters I see with smoke just barreling out of the muffler. They should also do insurance checks when they do the emissions check since we have over 25% of drivers on FL roads uninsured. The fines they would rack up (would probably be plenty) should go to help maintain our roads and public education.
Great idea. However, what makes you believe that anyone who does not have insurance (for whatever reason) would even bother doing an emissions test?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,322,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofFlorida View Post
Although I agree with your logic, is that 5% worth it when it subjects everyone else to the tests as opposed to the people who are less likely to adhere to the mandates (i.e. people with clunkers, no insurance, no license)? This state is full of all three.
Exactly. While the intentions of inspections are good, they eventually turn into a cash grab for the state, and a racket for the auto shops/mechanics. No thanks.

As I posted above, states with inspection/emission requirements seem to have the worst air quality as it is. FL cities actually rank pretty high overall for air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida