U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 AM

119 posts, read 226,169 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the Chipley and vicinity area. Looking to move in a year or so. I am looking for a rural semi-rural area, with at least 3 seasons, I could live without winter or little snow. Home prices seem good on Zillow for this area, also Cottondale. Looking to live not far from civilization ie walmart, library, thrift stores, antiques........ and food stores of course! I was curious about how taxes are combined. As far as water, sewer, sanitition/garbage. Does this come out of property taxes or are they in a seperate montly bill? Are any of these services in combined bill? Tell me about the area if you have experienced living there. Crime, poverty, severe weather or anything you feel would enlighten me. My husband is a welder, is there any work in this field around this area of fl. thanks for all the advice, experiences and information!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 02:30 PM

209 posts, read 458,450 times
Chipley is VERY small. Tallahassee and Panama City are two biggest FL cities nearby, and neither of those is huge. Chipley identifies more with Panama City than with Tallahassee. Not a lot of major industry, so you'd need to see if there were specific jobs in your husband's field before moving. I have a rental house in Panama City Beach and the tenants are welders who own a home near Tallahassee but live in PCB because of their jobs at Berg Pipe at the Port of Panama City.

The weather is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than along the shore line of the Gulf of Mexico (5-10 degrees). It's at least 70 minutes drivetime to a beach.

I could never understand why people would move to Florida, which has so many coastal communities, and then move an hour inland... especially to a very rural area like Chipley. (Cottondale is really just a blinking stoplight...) Just my 2 cents...

Old 01-25-2011, 09:36 PM

14,603 posts, read 31,060,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinerevelle View Post

I could never understand why people would move to Florida, which has so many coastal communities, and then move an hour inland... especially to a very rural area like Chipley. (Cottondale is really just a blinking stoplight...) Just my 2 cents...
The coastal towns are overcrowded and expensive with sky high insurance costs. I reckon most folks in Chipley were born and raised in the area though.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,148,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The coastal towns are overcrowded and expensive with sky high insurance costs. I reckon most folks in Chipley were born and raised in the area though.
When thinking about moving to Chipley, still am to a degree, one of the studies I made was studying the obits. I found an interesting thing. Many of the people who were born or grew up there had moved away, going to school, the military, corporate life in big cities and so on. But retired back to their childhood town and lived out the rest of their lives there. Many others lived their whole lives there or briefly lived somewhere else only to move back. I don't know, I just found that interesting.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 9,583 times
Chipley is a small town but has a walmarts and fast food joints. Not a lot of jobs FDOT being the main employer. Will disagree with X about one thing most people in Chipley go to Dothan, AL. Not PC. for extra things they need or want. I grew up in Chipley but haven't lived there on years but still have family there.
It has good schools and a decent local goverment. I think you would like it.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:09 PM

29 posts, read 49,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

We've been living in one of those warm coastal towns (Sarasota) moving to Chipley for the simpler life, raising our own eggs, chickens, and a cow. With everything happening in this country's food supply we want to be eating what we can raise ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or