Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:28 AM

88 posts, read 412,426 times

Advertisements

Florida is one of the nations leading orange growing states. I would expect to find a surplus of oranges available at Publics. In other states it is not uncommon to find people selling 10 lb bags of oranges for $2-3.00. Why is it that oranges and other fruit / vegitables are do dang expensive in Florida when they are native?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM

45 posts, read 173,655 times
Good question! Here's one answer

from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FE531

Rapid expansion and integration of international trade, increased tourism, and changes in methods of production in recent decades have increased the introduction of invasive species to U.S. (United States) agriculture. Invasive species can have adverse environmental and/or economic impacts when introduced into a region. Economic impacts include marketing, production, and trade implications.

One such invasive species imposing adverse economic impacts to the Florida citrus industry is a bacterial disease known as citrus canker (caused by Xanthomonas axanopodis pv. citri). Citrus canker causes lesions on the leaves, stems, and fruit of citrus trees. The disease adversely affects the proportion of fruit intended for the fresh market, serves to weaken citrus trees, and leads to a reduction in yields and higher costs of production.

The Citrus Canker Eradication Program (CCEP) was implemented in the mid-1990s in an attempt to establish guidelines for averting the spread of the disease. Currently there is no biological or chemical cure for citrus canker. All infected trees and citrus trees within a radius of 1900 feet of an infected tree must be eradicated (1900-foot rule). On-site decontamination of grove workers, field equipment, and packinghouses is also mandatory........

Last edited by ex-floridian; 08-22-2006 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,557,991 times
Let's stop eatting oranges now!!! Let's put our foot down! Gosh, everything is going up!!!! Not salaries though. Time to start a revolution people!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:53 AM

806 posts, read 2,874,845 times
Transportation and distribution add to the cost of produce. Just stop by one of those little kiosks on the side of the road and you'll pay less.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:53 AM

45 posts, read 173,655 times
Default I agree with revolution!

The #2 reason stated in the article for the high price of citrus is "increased tourism". STOP THE TOURISM AND SPREAD OF DISEASE! Stay up north!

Oh, that probably isn't the kind of revolution you meant, was it?

Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,275,085 times
lol bam

I know quite a few properties I've seen have numerous fruit trees..good question

Old 08-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The #2 reason stated in the article for the high price of citrus is "increased tourism". STOP THE TOURISM AND SPREAD OF DISEASE! Stay up north!
Definately has to be a better solution than that. lol

Old 08-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Let's stop eatting oranges now!!! Let's put our foot down! Gosh, everything is going up!!!! Not salaries though. Time to start a revolution people!
Ummmmm ok....I won't eat em,I'll just drink em

Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM

800 posts, read 3,077,869 times
I haven't bought oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes or pineapples in years. I grow them! I have no clue what they cost!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,488,158 times
I'm pretty far from an expert, and I didn't stay at any Inn last night, but I can take a guess. I'd say it depends on the time of year. Fresh fruit is very seasonal. If you buy oranges at Publix at the wrong time of year, you're paying to have them shipped in from California or South America. The price may be lower during our season.

I don't generally buy fruit, but as an example, I notice that the price of an ear of corn varies from 10 cents to more than 50 cents or even $1, depending on the time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: