Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My husband and I had our hearts set on moving to Florida and it was only after doing some research that we have put on the brakes. We are very disappointed that we have had to reconsider. Raising prices won't help because as Spook said, "...but the reality is, buyers won't care. If they can't afford it based on their income, they'll keep looking." We'd love nothing more than to pack up and come on down tomorrow, but we simply can't afford the cost of homes, combined with the high property taxes and homeowner's insurance I'm reading so much about. I don't think the majority of buyer's are able to buy now, but "holding out" for prices to come down. I think most of them or I should say, most of US are discouraged that we can't AFFORD a home at the current prices and so...we wait.
same here LHB can't afford it,wages aren't keeping up

Old 08-22-2006, 11:31 AM

99 posts, read 308,397 times
See Bamboo. I like FL. In fact, there are many parts I and many others here love. But the price of everything is killing the dream for many. Relatively speaking, we have NY-type prices without the wages. In fact, I know of many people who are actually pre-approved for a home loan but can't buy b/c they don't qualify for a high enough amount.

The buyers are there. They just can't afford it. If wages would keep any kind of pace, I'd stay here in a heartbeat. I would struggle (and I believe others would as well) if there seemed to be an sign of change coming.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:34 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
This state needs better government. I think we need to bring in industry and pay the workers well. There is plenty of land out there where corporations can build and bring jobs. The old people don't want change though.
It's time for a new group of commissioners in each county! Younger people want to live here and it's time we started to speak up. It's not only for the retired people anymore.
My home is going to be one of the lowest priced homes in the community now for the Sq. Ft. and size property and its on a culdesack. Hopefully a young couple will appreciate the new price and be able to live their dream in our home.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:46 AM

99 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
This state needs better government. I think we need to bring in industry and pay the workers well. There is plenty of land out there where corporations can build and bring jobs. The old people don't want change though.
It's time for a new group of commissioners in each county! Younger people want to live here and it's time we started to speak up. It's not only for the retired people anymore.
My home is going to be one of the lowest priced homes in the community now for the Sq. Ft. and size property and its on a culdesack. Hopefully a young couple will appreciate the new price and be able to live their dream in our home.
Bamboo, did you go to Harvard? B/C YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!! Many of the 'old guard' want to keep paying in sunshine. Sorry, not a currency accepted by any of my creditors. Our state, county, and city governments continue to rely on a service-based economy in a technology-based world.

They gave everything to court Scripps. But have yet to even break ground or make a concrete decision on where it will be located (someone correct me if that's wrong). With the weather we have, companies should be lining up to do business. The fact is they are not AND small businesses are being run out by the ever increasing and lack of insurance.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomom View Post
I'd stay here in a heartbeat. I would struggle (and I believe others would as well) if there seemed to be an sign of change coming.
Agreed. We didn't want to move, we had to in order to survive.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 AM

806 posts, read 2,884,508 times
The representatives are a reflection of the communities they serve. Hold them to the letter of their election promises and if they're not willing to live up to them, kick them out. A better educated and more informed voting populace is the politicians worst nightmare.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Have you ever wondered why so many home sellers are lowering their home prices? Because if they don't then the realtors are out of business for a while.

The media has done this to the real estate market. The buyers are hearing that prices will go lower. What if we all decide to start raising the prices?
I mean everybody just starts raising their asking price????

Nobody says that we can't. Now, if the real estate market sees that we start raising the prices, the media will start blabbing "ooh, I guess we were wrong, now the prices are going up". Hold firm on that price. Buyers will have to make a decission now. Just as we would when we go and buy that next property. Somebody changed the market by telling everybody that the bubble is bursting. Well, it happens by word of mouth.
Now, if we go and raise those prices, it will (maybe) flip...
?? What do you think??
The only real problem with the selling market in Florida is the lack of a proper homestead exemption. It has been $25,000 since houses used to sell for $65,000. Then it made a difference. The increase of taxes due to the high prices that houses have been selling for has reset the bar so high that taxes are a real consideration for a buyer now. Before, taxes were just a nuisance not prohibitive. My taxes are around $2500. a year.

If I sell my house for even close to what it is worth, the new buyer will be paying over $15,000. a year. That's enough to block a sale even for a buyer with money. When we sell soon I will almost certainly be selling to a developer who will tear down the house and put up Town houses. They are the only ones my house is worth that much to. Voters "HAVE" to make this homestead exemption an issue and be LOUD about it, It is killing new home buyers. I can't believe no one is talking about it.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:12 PM

We had a commissioner that broke so many rules after hurricane charley.
She was even living out of her district which wasn't allowed. They are a bunch of jerks, if you ask me. She resigned now. She was stating she was depressed because of the hurricane. Give me a break, aren't we all upset at one point in time but still do our jobs the right way? Aren't the commissioners suppose to be doing what is right for the counties? No. They are all sitting pretty on their high horses and messing everything up big time.
Time to bring in people who care.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:14 PM

$15,000??? Wow, I don't think that's what the new homebuyers are paying where we are... no way... maybe it will be a bit more but not that much.
They aren't even paying that much tax in NJ or NY!

Old 08-22-2006, 12:28 PM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
The only real problem with the selling market in Florida is the lack of a proper homestead exemption. It has been $25,000 since houses used to sell for $65,000. Then it made a difference. The increase of taxes due to the high prices that houses have been selling for has reset the bar so high that taxes are a real consideration for a buyer now. Before, taxes were just a nuisance not prohibitive. My taxes are around $2500. a year.

If I sell my house for even close to what it is worth, the new buyer will be paying over $15,000. a year. That's enough to block a sale even for a buyer with money. When we sell soon I will almost certainly be selling to a developer who will tear down the house and put up Town houses. They are the only ones my house is worth that much to. Voters "HAVE" to make this homestead exemption an issue and be LOUD about it, It is killing new home buyers. I can't believe no one is talking about it.
Is it election year in Florida? If so, residents should be e-mailing their representatives in Tallahassee and let them know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida