Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 AM

151 posts, read 599,405 times

Advertisements

Sam Seltzers Steakhouse? Or Leroy Selmons?? Both very good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 09:53 AM

151 posts, read 599,405 times
Oh and try out "The Bubble Room " famous eatery on Sanibel.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:01 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
LOL..... somebody repped me on this old, old thread and I thought I'd bring it back, update folks and provide a chuckle for some who may recognize names, etc.

We've been here almost four years now and it is definitely home. In response to one of the poster's questions to me via a separate rep...we did pay about 10 times more than some houses in the community are going for today, but that's ok. It's our home and we're not planning on moving anywhere.

We've done a lot of renovations, including making over the kitchen into our dream kitchen. We both enjoy cooking, so it's been a lot of fun, even tho DH claims it's now "HIS".

We've also made some good friends and lost some along the way (it's a retirement community, and we're among the younger crew), but I guess it's a fact of life you have to live with.

No, it's not perfect, but, in our minds, it's darn close to paradise.

Just thought you'd all like a short trip down Memory Lane with me.

Thanks, French Paris, for bringing it to my attention.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:31 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
What an awesome old post. Thanks for bringing it back and updating us. It proves that although there is a lot of negative posts here, I KNOW there are many others who have made the transition to the Florida lifestyle with no regrets.

I look at an old post I typed here back in 2007. I can hardly believe my Florida countdown was over 1500 days once.

Since then we've gone down to our Florida home a few times a year. We've done a lot of great projects there. We've made some great friends. I've worked hard setting up a new business there for when we move there full time.

The earliest I can retire up here in NY is in about three and a half months. We are daily preparing our NY home for sale. In some ways it is hard to sell it, because I designed and built it myself. It's an awesome home. We have a few very interested parties, and our Florida move will be whenever the house sells. We are hoping that this winter may have been our last here in NY.

Our Florida home is already fully furnished, so we will move very little down there. We have spent the last few months sorting, throwing away, and selling or giving away, etc, everything I am not taking with us. Our kids are dividing up the booty.

Frank

Old 03-13-2011, 03:14 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
LOL..... somebody repped me on this old, old thread and I thought I'd bring it back, update folks and provide a chuckle for some who may recognize names, etc.

We've been here almost four years now and it is definitely home. In response to one of the poster's questions to me via a separate rep...we did pay about 10 times more than some houses in the community are going for today, but that's ok. It's our home and we're not planning on moving anywhere.

We've done a lot of renovations, including making over the kitchen into our dream kitchen. We both enjoy cooking, so it's been a lot of fun, even tho DH claims it's now "HIS".

We've also made some good friends and lost some along the way (it's a retirement community, and we're among the younger crew), but I guess it's a fact of life you have to live with.

No, it's not perfect, but, in our minds, it's darn close to paradise.

Just thought you'd all like a short trip down Memory Lane with me.

Thanks, French Paris, for bringing it to my attention.

Wow.

This is what I love about reading old post. I often go back and read them to see how things worked out.

Please make sure you post in my Success Stories of those who moved to Florida.

Your story inspires others so thank you for sharing it again.

I think of Oceandreams94 and now I can think of you every time someone post a negative about moving to Florida. You both are perfect examples of how you can move to Florida and actually become a success if you do your homework, plan and make good sound decisions.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Only shows me that those with a plan and a great attitude can make a relocation so much better than those who don't. And of course not that everyone who came here feels they made a mistake.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Frank, so glad to hear you're still gung ho about the whole move. I am surprised, however, that you haven't kept track of the # of days left!

Thanks, SUnny-Days and Spring Hillian. It does help, too, if you know someone who lives in the area and can give you tips, etc. Homework is definitely a key.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM

Sunny D - where is the success stories thread? I couldn't find it!

Old 03-14-2011, 09:53 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
23 more days until the next Florida trip, 112 days until I can retire. My macbookPro keeps track of that daily with a dashboard app.........very cool.

Frank

Old 03-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Now, that's the Frank I know and love!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida