Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,341 times

Advertisements

I'm retired and living in Arlington, VA. I'm tired of the taxes and snow. I don't want to go too far south, as I'm really not into the heat (I know FL. gets hot & humid, but so does Arlington). My search is leading me to St Johns County and the city of Palm Coast. I'm somewhat concerned about flooding, hurricanes, power outages, the more basic concerns. I figure crime is probably located in areas that I'll avoid. I canoe now on small lakes with lots of small waterways for the nature (wildlife). I'm hoping to canoe, but I'm becoming concerned about the wildlife I might encounter while canoeing (gators and snakes).

I'm looking for advice on
1) where to live (I'm not committed to any one location).
2) dealing with the natural occurrences (hurricanes and flooding)
3) do's and don'ts of canoeing in FL (Non-Ocean).
4) Good jazz club (I hear there's Stogies in St Aug).

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM

186 posts, read 488,329 times
Look in Citrus County

Old 01-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Default You're suggesting West Coast?

I was really leaning toward the East coast, but I'll check it out. Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 08:55 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
As a native "Northern Virginian", I personally think that North Florida will be an extreme culture shock. It doesnt really feel or look like Florida for the most part. Also, it is still very hot, the east coast is more prone to get a hurricane and all of Florida has snakes and gators, so if the reptiles are a concern, I would seriously consider someplace else. Florida has a lot of snakes. I am terrified to go in my backyard because of a snake I saw back there 3 years ago. The culture and diversity in FL is VERY different from the DMV so I would strongly suggest you take all of these things into consideration and visit the area before you move. The Palm Coast area is beautiful however, but most areas around Jacksonville are more like South GA. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Jax is actually one of the least likely hurricane strike spots in the state- it's at a concave point in the coastline, and at coordinates where storms will usually recurve before reaching. Melbourne to Miami's far more likely to get a bad storm strike.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the responses. I do plan to visit next month. I'm OK with seeing snakes or gators on land (leave them alone and they'll leave you alone), but not really sure how a gator might react to a canoe coming close to them. Although I've lived in large cities most of my life, I think I will enjoy not having my neighbors knowing all my business. What cultural shock? I grew up in Brooklyn, was stationed in Texas, Miss., Calif., and Okinawa in the service, and lived in the DC area for the last 30 years. Although I'm only a 10 minute drive to DC, I only go downtown on Sunday nights to listen to jazz due to the headache of driving into DC or taking the metro. Traffic is awful. I really don't take advantage of the many festivals in DC as it has become more problematic (crowds and security checks) going to these events.
Anybody know of any live jazz clubs/bars?

Again thanks for the responses.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryC13 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I do plan to visit next month. I'm OK with seeing snakes or gators on land (leave them alone and they'll leave you alone), but not really sure how a gator might react to a canoe coming close to them. Although I've lived in large cities most of my life, I think I will enjoy not having my neighbors knowing all my business. What cultural shock? I grew up in Brooklyn, was stationed in Texas, Miss., Calif., and Okinawa in the service, and lived in the DC area for the last 30 years. Although I'm only a 10 minute drive to DC, I only go downtown on Sunday nights to listen to jazz due to the headache of driving into DC or taking the metro. Traffic is awful. I really don't take advantage of the many festivals in DC as it has become more problematic (crowds and security checks) going to these events.
Anybody know of any live jazz clubs/bars?

Again thanks for the responses.
Southerners, especially North Florida, usually gossip about people all the time. If you don't want people to know your business, I wouldn't settle in North Florida, or even Central Florida.

I'm not sure of your financial situation, but have you considered Key West? You can easily be one with nature, walk almost everywhere (or ride a bike) and certainly enjoy fine wine and jazz at many bars and restaurants.

If you're on the uptight side and would have a problem seeing same sex couples, or sometimes a sexually charged atmosphere, perhaps it wouldn't work out too well, but if you can simply live and let live, I think it would work for you.

PS- If you do decide to settle where there are lakes, NEVER go in them. Alligators and snakes are usually in every lake you'll come across. Keep any animals away from them as well.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:45 PM

5,203 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Amelia Island, Florida. It's in the farthest Northeast corner of the state. 9 hour drive to Richmond, 25 minute drive to the airport and 45 minute drive to downtown Jacksonville. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida