Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:08 PM

9 posts, read 22,732 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm looking to relocate after finishing school. Let me tell you all a little about myself, then you tell me where you think the best place in Florida is for me.....

I'm a 28 year old African American female (race doesn't matter to me), with no children, looking to settle down soon. I am not looking to be around a bunch of spring breakers 24-7. I'm from Atlanta, so I'm soooo used to and growing tired of the mini LA night life.

I like the city to shop and hang out, but I like calmness to live around. I like to shop in eccentric and cheap areas, yet like to be not too far away from a Target or a cool mall. I love jazz spots, karaoke bars, other, independent bars and restaurants. I desire to be close to a beach.

I will be renting, so I need low to mid priced cost of living. I need to be at a place where there's an abundance of artistic technology jobs (graphic design, web design, etc.).

So where do you think is best and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 11:12 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
I am moving to Tampa. I made my choice based on the cost of living, cultural arts and it having a nice beaches. I may have picked South Florida instead, bet housing is expensive there compared to Tampa.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
The job market for what you're in is utterly abysmal in the Panhandle. (I'm sure someone will come along suggesting it, but unless you get hooked up with a defense contractor, you're looking at about $9.00/hour if you do find one of those rare jobs)

If you've got some skills more on the tech side of things or are good working with programmers/developers, and don't mind a little bit of a drive to get to the beach, they're actually doing some pretty cool stuff with simulator development in the Orlando area.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:57 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPeachy1908 View Post
Hi I'm looking to relocate after finishing school. Let me tell you all a little about myself, then you tell me where you think the best place in Florida is for me.....

I'm a 28 year old African American female (race doesn't matter to me), with no children, looking to settle down soon. I am not looking to be around a bunch of spring breakers 24-7. I'm from Atlanta, so I'm soooo used to and growing tired of the mini LA night life.

I like the city to shop and hang out, but I like calmness to live around. I like to shop in eccentric and cheap areas, yet like to be not too far away from a Target or a cool mall. I love jazz spots, karaoke bars, other, independent bars and restaurants. I desire to be close to a beach.

I will be renting, so I need low to mid priced cost of living. I need to be at a place where there's an abundance of artistic technology jobs (graphic design, web design, etc.).

The Tampa Bay Area fills the bill for most of what you want. Plenty of "eccentric but cheap areas" to shop, but a great mall and all the Targets, etc. you want. Etc. Etc.

The problem will be jobs, there are some, but there is a lot of competition out there.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 AM

791 posts, read 1,425,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPeachy1908 View Post

Treasure Island.....close to beach, has the quietness and calmness you desire yet a short drive to anywhere.....

Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamthere View Post
Treasure Island.....close to beach, has the quietness and calmness you desire yet a short drive to anywhere.....

And Sky High Rent!

Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,385 times
Check out Downtown West Palm. Cityplace is an outdoor mall with a lot of nice bars and restaurants, but yet it's not like a spring break wild party city. There's a new target close by, and a couple super targets within 15 minutes.
Close to the beach, has a great young professional atmosphere (plenty of snowbirds too) and coming from Atlanta it would be a nice step down without going into a totally suburban area.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 22,732 times
west palm sounds nice, i was curious about that area also. thanks!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Creative jobs can be hard to get down here, so find the job first and then find the best spot in a reasonable commute to that job.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 PM

622 posts, read 1,664,739 times
Fort Lauderdale!! You've got Target on Oakland and US1, there's the Galleria Mall on Sunrise just east of US1, you've got Las Olas and the Riverfront for shopping, hanging out and jazzy clubs, and that area is easy to walk around. If you pick an area to rent like Victoria Park or even somewhere right near the beach over the bridges (like in between the intracoastal and the Atlantic between Oakland and Sunrise Blvds) you can probably find some awesome little studio apt or 1/1 apt for a reasonable rate. There's an AMAZING cultural mix in Fort Lauderdale.. Everyone fits in, and everyone is welcome. Race isnt an issue near the beach, its wonderful, at least not that I ever noticed.. everyones really open minded..!

I hope you find something you love! I know I love Fort Lauderdale. When I lived there, it was the best place for me to be as a single person with my dog. I was happy and safe there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida