U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 5,590 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a 30 yr old female relocating to the Daytona area due to my boyfriends job. I currently live in the suburbs of Detroit Mi, Royal Oak area and have lived in Ann Arbor in the past. I am looking for suburbs in Daytona with similar characteristics to these areas. I am looking for an area that is eclectic, culturally rich, healthy, organic, artsy, and physically active area with a variety of activities to do with a good school system. Probably asking for a lot. I dont know if there is anything with those qualities around Daytona, hopefully there is something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 02:47 PM

75 posts, read 221,410 times
As far as good schools systems go, Port Orange just outside Daytona has top rated schools as well as one of the best high schools in the country, Spruce Creek High School. Port orange is very family oriented and has a great park district with lots of activities. It is a nice contrast to the wild life that you can find in Daytona Beach. Believe it or not there are a lot of cultural events in and around the Daytona Beach area. There is a large selection of live theater and performing arts venues. World-class events and concerts along with a free summer concert series at the oceanfront Bandshell. It has professional theatre productions and international music events. There are even some museums.

And of course the beach is awesome with great refreshing ocean water. Very clean beach. Great for walks. You can walk barefoot for miles and miles on the beach.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,590 times
Ahh thanks for the reply. Im just trying to avoid the typical cookie cutter suburbs with chain everything. I lived in places like that in Michigan and they are just so dull. I like older communities with history, unique shops and restaurants with plenty of variety of things to do including a good running community. I hear lots of people compliment Port Orange, they also mention Ormond Beach. What is the differences between the 2?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM

980 posts, read 2,512,131 times
You might try DeLand.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
You might try DeLand.
Ditto. You're looking for Deland, which is home to Stetson University and has a pretty neat downtown area. The campus is beautiful and runs on either side of the main N/S street. The homes downtown are anything but cookie-cutter. Lots of cultural and outdoor activities in Deland and it's 30 minutes from the beach and less than an hour from the major theater & concert venues in Orlando.

Welcome to DeLand, FL

Sounds like Port Orange is everything you DON'T want. It has been the fastest growing area of Volusia county in the past few decades, ergo cookie-cutter homes and shopping centers.

Ormond, my hometown, is very nice, but very different from Deland. Even the fixers close to the river or ocean and near shops and restaurants on Granada Blvd. can get pricey and the taxes are high. Not really what I'd call eclectic or artsy. More yuppiefied.

Good Luck in your search!

Old 02-02-2011, 07:21 AM

75 posts, read 221,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Ditto. You're looking for Deland, which is home to Stetson University and has a pretty neat downtown area. The campus is beautiful and runs on either side of the main N/S street. The homes downtown are anything but cookie-cutter. Lots of cultural and outdoor activities in Deland and it's 30 minutes from the beach and less than an hour from the major theater & concert venues in Orlando.
Deland is quite eclectic with the old time feel to it but it also has a very high crime rate. It is ranked in the top 10% of cities in the U.S. for high crime.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-16-2011 at 06:20 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 AM

509 posts, read 1,478,934 times
Crime is high in Florida. Daytona is no stranger to crime, either. I still think DeLand is a good suggestion.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:59 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,966 times
A more accurate assessment of the crime in Deland can be found here from the Volusia County Sheriff's Dept.:

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

As in any area, you'd have to be familiar with Deland to know the crime pockets and where not to be at 3 a.m. The area around the university is fairly crime-free, unless you count some apres-keg party college students taking a whack at one another!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM

10,576 posts, read 10,800,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljg80 View Post
Ahh thanks for the reply. Im just trying to avoid the typical cookie cutter suburbs with chain everything. I lived in places like that in Michigan and they are just so dull. I like older communities with history, unique shops and restaurants with plenty of variety of things to do including a good running community. I hear lots of people compliment Port Orange, they also mention Ormond Beach. What is the differences between the 2?
Ormond has an older feel than Port Orange IMO. Port Orange has had a lot of new development in the past 10-15 years.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM

37 posts, read 71,332 times
Sounds like, at a minimum, that you're looking for "quaint." Ain't nothin' in Florida that's quaint. No coziness, no culture, no sophistication, no light-bulb "hey-this-is-smart" neighborhoods. Florida looks like a great big dick on a map for a reason. It just hangs there and wants to *********. Do yourself a favor and stay clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida