U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these counties do YOU feel is the most dangerous, regardless of statistics?
Broward 4 5.97%
Dade 36 53.73%
Duval 3 4.48%
Orange 8 11.94%
Palm Beach 16 23.88%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 01:53 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,747,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
no, im not bragging about the crime..i'm just telling you how it is..as far as statistics go, they don't mean anything to me personally. I would much rather walk through ANY other city in the country then say..OVERTOWN. and yes, overall I do believe it's the most dangerous region..i never said broward was the most dangerous, i voted for broward because i think it could potentially be the next miami. I have walked through New orleans (including the notorious Magnolia Projects) and I have been through very bad sections in NEw Jersey..and I wuld rather walk through their then some of the areas around south florida (overtown, liberty city, opa locka, riviera beach)...and the per capita of a crime rate may put everyone on the same level, but it IS NOT the same. For example, Orlando is ranked more dangerous then Miami, but which city would you rather walk through?
Alright, now I see where you are coming from. But I would take Sistrunk over Pine Hills in Orlando anyday! Ever been to East NY in NYC? That's the worst I have walked through. On the contrary, I haven't walked through Liberty City, because I just wouldn't do that...only drove, that was scary enough. I think per capita maybe we arent as bad as some places but if your talking about HOW bad it gets I agree we have some of the worst. Then again I walked around some areas of Fort Lauderdale near Sunrise Blvd and parts of Hollywood off of Dixie Highway at 1 in the morning (teen thrills, what can I say), and there were some shady characters out there, but if you were reasonably street smart, you could come out alive. I do agree that a lot of Broward has potential to decline to the level of whats happened in Dade and happening in Palm Beach County. Deerfield/Pompano is starting to remind me of Lake Worth and beginning to have rival gang issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM

54 posts, read 311,758 times
and recent arrests show CORRUPTION in our broward police for giving flase statistics to make the dept. look better. so we truly don't know what it was. But 2007 will be alot different then 2006.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
The recent 2006 stats you were talking about in the original post.
Oh

Total Index Crime by County, 2006

Old 10-05-2007, 02:14 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,812,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
New to these boards.
I've lived in Dade for 32 of my 45 years. Crimes we've encountered personnally: my son's tricycle was stolen from our front yard about 15 years ago, someone tried to steal our old used garbage can, (my husband saw them and got it back ), and one night a year or so ago someone was going into backyards in my neighborhood that weren't fenced in and taking tools. Not too bad for 32 years. We've left our doors unlocked so many times (forgetfullness) and even have left our keys in the front door! Cars have been unlocked too many times to count. I'm 5'0 and 90 lbs and go to the groceries, Target, etc at 9-10 pm by myself, never have had a problem with anyone. I'm in W. Kendall. Yes, there are bad areas, just like in any city. No reason to go there. I'm not a huge fan of Miami, but safety has never been one of my concerns. Maybe I live in a delusional dream world.
Valicky I have to echo your sentiments. I lived in Miami from 1975-2005 and have never been a victim of crime except for one incident were my car was broken into & they stole change and some tapes in the 90s.
Perception about how dangerous Miami is overblown. Most of the crime that happens is usually drug related and if you are not into that scene then your chances of being a victim drop.

By the way I am currently living in Orlando and the crime here is obscene! The land of Mickey is turning into the wild wild west! It is rampant here and random whereas in Miami you just knew places to avoid.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale954 View Post
and recent arrests show CORRUPTION in our broward police for giving flase statistics to make the dept. look better. so we truly don't know what it was. But 2007 will be alot different then 2006.
This was in a relatively small zone in Dania Beach. I'm surprised it took this long for a case like that in such a big department. They were investigating the same crap when I was in Columbus, Ohio, and in some cities like New York and LA, semi-accurate crime reporting is a lost cause.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM

385 posts, read 1,750,276 times
i knew this was going to happen the instant i clicked on this topic. dade isn't always on top stat wise but the presence of danger is so real you feel like your life can get taken in any moment at times. i've walked through the northern tip of liberty city and around 32nd ave in nw and it can get shady at times. when i went to orlando i only visited cleremont so i can't speak on that and never been to pbc.

overtown really isn't as bad as people portray it to be, they are rebuilding houses everywhere at affordable prices. the opa-locka triange is also being rebuilt and they are placing affordable homes there. hopefully the crime will vanish with the triangle as well.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 AM

975 posts, read 3,430,854 times
there was a recent study that determined that Nevada has the highest crime rate in the US (Fla. was #4). I was kind of surprised by that (never been to Nevada so I don't know much about it)

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,539,317 times
last time i saw the research, fla was ranked 7th

Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,623,654 times
I prolly shouldnt have voted because I am so new here, but I chose Palm Beach based on Riviera. Is Dade scarier than Riviera ?!?!?!?!!?

Old 10-06-2007, 11:49 AM

1,770 posts, read 7,469,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
I prolly shouldnt have voted because I am so new here, but I chose Palm Beach based on Riviera. Is Dade scarier than Riviera ?!?!?!?!!?
Last year on the news they said that the zip code with the highest crime in Florida was based in Riviera Beach, so Riviera Beach is the worst of the worst when it comes to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or