U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:39 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,171,066 times

Advertisements

If it makes you feel any better, I was wearing five layers, a ski cap, and some gloves and it was only in the 40s today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,424,817 times
I am basically a Florida native, but my happiest day of the year is the coldest day of the year. When I go outside and there is ice to scrape off of my windshield, and I feel like my toes will never be warm again I am skipping around and spend my lunch break outside. I LOVE those days. I never turn on my heat and usually open all of my windows even on the coldest day of the year. I do think that I only enjoy those days so much because we get them so rarely. I also remind myself of the heat that will be here shortly and I just enjoy the difference.

I am not saying that I want to live somewhere with cold weather or that I don't like warm weather. I am just saying that if everyone would take the time to enjoy the different "seasons" we get here, you would probably realize that the extreme heat doesn't last as long as you think it does and neither do our cold snaps. We have quite a bit of good moderate weather in Florida and I try to enjoy it as much as possible.

To all of you up north who wish you were down here with us, I am sorry you aren't here to enjoy it with us. Now, close your eyes and imagine that you are sitting next to the beach. You can hear the sea gulls and the wave washing up on shore. The sand is between your toes. It is 80 degrees. The bright Florida sun is shining on you and spreading warmth through your entire body.

You really have to think you are there for it to work. Feel better?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,889,736 times
I agree. Florida is a LONG state, with a big difference in weather between the bottom and the top.
Where we are in central Florida I think is about just right for us. We have some cold snaps in the winter, which is a nice break from the norm. It lets you get out those sweaters and flannel shirts, etc.
The summer can be quite hot, but I find it easily bearable. Some may not. What I'm trying to say is that we DO have a change of seasons, without the extremes we have in the Buffalo area.

Frank

Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM

778 posts, read 1,454,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly, you can always put another layer of clothing on. When you're down to shorts, t-shirts and flip flops and it is already unbearable at 8am it is pretty bad.

The arguement is so you stay inside. Well some of us would like to go for a walk, but when it is like a sauna outside(and it gets worse at night) you become trapped inside.

And it isn't just new transplants, many people who have lived here for years dread the weather 6 or 7 months out of the year.

It is not unusual to find people leaving after several years as the heat becomes too much.

There is a good reason why this state has so many part time residents.

It is not so much the heat but the disgusting humidity.

Best advice I ever give on this is odds are if you don't like it as a tourist or when you first move here you won't get acclimated to it over the years. I think for many of us it gets much worse as the years go by. My first year here I could not get enough of the heat and humidity, rarely even used the A/C at home, always at the beach on weekends, often outside on lunch breaks even in midsummer. I could not believe folks would hide in the A/C and not be outside all the time in this tropical paradise. I really thought there was something wrong with them....lol Wasn't everyone here a healthy tanned god or goddess in the 80's like George Hamilton or the late Farrah Fawcett?

As the years went by that obviously was not sustainable. The last 6-7 years have become brutal. I still love the beach when the sun's rays are at an angle and the blasts of cool dry weather in the winter. July I can also tolerate because after all it is summer most everywhere and fun at the beach, the ocean breeze is nice and the hurricanes are not yet a problem. Spring and Fall, the best seasons in much of the country, totally suck along with the entire lack of seasonal flow and I have had enough days of tropical sun and 92/79 heat and humidy to last several lifetimes. It just seems like every day April-November is groundhog day especially in SoFla now after close to three decades in different parts of the state. Furthest north I lived in was Daytona and the hot, humid season was much shorter and so a bit easier to deal with. I am convinced most people have a limited shelf life in which to enjoy the outdoors in this tropical climate so make the best of that time..

On the flip flops and shorts deal the most hilarious think is to see folks dressed like that when they are outside for only a few minutes walking through a parking lot from their climate controlled car then go into a climate controlled ice cold 70 degree building the rest of their day.. I actually sweat more layered with clothing when up north rotating from the outside cold to the too hot climate controlled buildings than down here in midsummer as long as I limit my outdoor exposure to 5-10 minutes at a clip, not counting morning outdoor workouts usually completed by 9:30am..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 02-11-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM

86 posts, read 181,999 times
Faithful Frank, They say we will get in the mid 30s by Monday. I am very jealous of you right now. But, we'll stick with good ol Buffalo until it is time to go south for good(about 10 years hopefully) This time of year is always tough on me and my wife because we hate the cold so much. This has been an especially rough year because we have had cold and snow for what seems forever. And, we are not going down to our house in Florida this year because of some other things going on here. All that being said, I do understand that to each their own. For those that hate the heat, come on up to Buffalo. We have what you need.(SNNOOOWWW and CCOOLLDDD)For me, I want to be sitting under a palm tree looking a bikinis.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 12,262 times
dreamer- it was -9F here in Syracuse when I left my house yesterday morning

Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,665,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It is not so much the heat but the disgusting humidity.
Actually, it's the heat AND the disgusting humidity. To everyone who loves Florida's "beautiful weather"- try working out in it for 40 years. I'm not talking poking at your rose bushes or picking some grapefruities early in the morning before it gets too hot, I'm talking physical labor- every day. No A/C for eight or more hours. No shorts and tennis shoes, either. Long pants and steel toed boots is the uniform of the day.
For those of us who have to work outside in "Paradise", it's every bit as oppressive as Buffalo.

I'm going to enjoy what's left of our 2.5 months of non-summer (to call it winter is laughable). Days like today (I was working on top of a 100' foot tower-it was absolutely glorious!) almost make living here worthwhile.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:36 PM

330 posts, read 956,381 times
Figures, after over 2 months of sub freezing temps it is forecast to be up to 45 here in Syracuse this coming friday when I am leaving for St Pete! Maybe when I get back my icicles hanging off my roof will be melted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or