U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,157 times

Advertisements

My Wife and myself will be in Florida in Jan 2017 looking for a place to retire in March 2019. We will be looking at The Villages along with places near the Villages also in Ft Myers, Maybe Sun city. What I have hear about the Villages from a friend who is leaving there yr round is all good. But either my self or my wife golf so that activity is not something that would not attract us to a certain place. What other 55 community's would anyone suggest near the villages. Would like to be near Orlando so we can travel. Our budget is in mid 100's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 05:30 PM

638 posts, read 1,202,457 times
There are a lot of places closer to the coastline than the Villages with more to do in their immediate surrounding areas. I did a vacation stay at the Villages, but bought about an hour from Orlando on the east coast of Florida in Ormond Beach. I love it there; a lot of beautiful nature, my home is only a few miles from the ocean, plenty of good medical care, good restaurants of all kinds, and not too old of a population. Not too quiet nor too busy, and prices are much better than farther south. There are a lot of large gated communities there and wherever you go in Florida.

Another place I liked was River Strand in Bradenton. Also, Lakewood Ranch is in Bradenton/Sarasota, but a bit expensive due to fees, etc.

I think you can do better than Sun City.

I found when I travelled around the state that some areas had a "feel" that I liked; some didn't. The Villages was too far out in the middle of the state for me and had other drawbacks.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 AM

240 posts, read 181,516 times
The Villages ... lol ... No thanks.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:35 AM

188 posts, read 169,799 times
There are 5 55+ communities located just south of Leesburg (15 miles south of The Villages). Arlington Ridge, Legacy, Highland Lakes, The Plantation, and Royal Highlands each offer a different set of amenities. They are all within 45 minutes of Orlando International (3 stop lights or less) via the Florida Turnpike. Disney World is 35 minutes away for the grand kids. All of the restaurants and most activities of The Villages are 15 miles away. Easy access to both coasts is less than 90 minutes away. Endless boating opportunities on the Harris Chain of Lakes.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:01 AM

4,727 posts, read 1,956,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack&diane View Post
My Wife and myself will be in Florida in Jan 2017 looking for a place to retire in March 2019. We will be looking at The Villages along with places near the Villages also in Ft Myers, Maybe Sun city. What I have hear about the Villages from a friend who is leaving there yr round is all good. But either my self or my wife golf so that activity is not something that would not attract us to a certain place. What other 55 community's would anyone suggest near the villages. Would like to be near Orlando so we can travel. Our budget is in mid 100's.
The Villages is a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. If you buy there it is likely that you will only afford a cottage right on top of your neighbors. At this time you may be priced out of that market too. The Villages is a place where your politics matters. You will get a hint when you hear FOX radio in the street in Sumter Landing.

I'm just speaking figuratively here but when you go to church, there may be a statue of the developer right next to the statue of Jesus.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,706 times
I'm amazed at some of the nastiness. I bought in TV in 2014 but haven't lived there. I live overseas and won't retire for another two years. I visit for a few days annually to check on the house. I bought the house for the floor plan and agree, don't like the way it's finished. I was going to remodel soonest I move there but decided to wait and give it six months - year to see if I like it. I do want an active lifestyle and hope to make friends. What gives me pause is I'm a single woman and I hear that because of the woman-man ratio, married women don't want single women around their husbands. I don't understand that but am looking forward to developing strong friendships with other women who are interesting, well read and enjoy an active lifestyle. Guess I'll find out in a couple of years whether or not from my POV, most of the people on this site are correct or not. Seems to me, it's really individual taste.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,352 times
Default Social Norms

Cindy Lou Hoo - Speaking from personal experience, I find that most married couples almost always exclude singles from their social circles/activities, without even being aware of their actions - I'm sure it's the same at The Villages -

Old 02-06-2017, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,706 times
I've been single for over 20 years and most of my friends are married and I'm always included. I chose TV primarily because I don't like cold weather (most of my friends live in the mid west), and I figured because pretty much everyone is a transplant, people will be more open to making new friends. I hope so. I've lived overseas much of my life and have moved around a lot and haven't found it difficult to make friends wherever I'm posted but for some reason, I'm kind of nervous about this move!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

17,432 posts, read 10,504,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi Lou Hoo View Post
I've been single for over 20 years and most of my friends are married and I'm always included. I chose TV primarily because I don't like cold weather (most of my friends live in the mid west), and I figured because pretty much everyone is a transplant, people will be more open to making new friends. I hope so. I've lived overseas much of my life and have moved around a lot and haven't found it difficult to make friends wherever I'm posted but for some reason, I'm kind of nervous about this move!
You will have mixed results. It will be necessary to look a bit harder for friends as so many are retired couples, though there are families there as well. How many friends you make will be more up to you than others. If you are friendly (and non threatening to a married woman re her hubby) you should do just fine.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:36 AM

4,727 posts, read 1,956,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi Lou Hoo View Post
In your first post you mention being well read. Well read people tend to think for themselves and don't adopt political philosophies lightly. You will find that your political leaning matters in the Villages.

Take a look at the book displays in Barnes and Nobles (Sumter Landing). Do the right wing publications still outnumber left wing books twenty to one? Do they still play FOX radio on main street in Sumter Landing?
With a hundred miles of golf cart trails which could easily accommodate a bicycle, I was dying to buy there. Then I read this: The Villages' Democrats Find Second-Rate Citizenry In A Billionaire's Republican Kingdom | The Huffington Post

Between the article above and an obnoxious conservative on the bus ride to the airport, I realized that I could never be happy there.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 02-19-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida