Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager967 View Post
Why we are leaving the Villages....
1) Too crowded - especially Jan-Mar when you can't hardly move around here. The resturants are packed to the gills starting at 4:00 and packed until about 9:00 which is when they roll up the streets here -see #2. Tee times and activities are packed and many times you can't get in the activities at the centers, they are FULL. If you are a half-hour early - you're LATE. Lots of standing around.
Never buy a house at the Villages until you have experienced snow bird season. If you can stand it, this is the place for you.
2) This place closes at 9:00 except for a few bars. If you are still eating at nine, since you couldn't get in earlier, your server will stand behind you for every bite. Once the town square close the streets are empty. We call 9:00 Villages Midnight.
3) The entertainment and the events are all exactly the same. Every holiday is like every other holiday. Same parade participants, same entertainment, cloggers, cheerleaders, baton twirlers. When you 've seen it, you've seen it. They don't even bother to make a change. The songs that are played by every band are played by EVERY band. If I hear Mustang Sally one more time I'll puke. Line dancing is a sport here. The entertainment at Savannah Center is all tribute or lookalike bands.
4) I'm tired of waking up to ambulances. Senior community, do the math.
5) Politics are tough here. You had better be a tea party Republican or you are not welcome. All the tea party favorite are treated like royalty here, Dems barely get a small room anywhere. Dissenters were actually kicked out of the public square for having signs that stated their opinion. I can't stand the public pools because it's a bombardment of political discussions with high tempers and only conservative views, like the newspaper. If you read the letters to the editor the vitupritve rhetoric is frightening, encouraging gov't overthrow. My goodness people, turn off Fox News and get out in the sun. See #6
6) Fox News is everywhere, you can't escape it unless you stay home.
7) We spent $48,000 in improvements on our brand new home, lost $25,000 when we sell because I want out.
8) The lots are so small, youarethisclose to your neighbors. We bought a $290,000 designer home only to have $160,000 cottages within 20 feet behind us. Our neighbors are great, but home many homes do you need to cram in a small space?
9) I think it's ridiculous that "The Developer" is the man who is never mentioned by name, or in hushed tones like he's some deity that you have to bow your head if you say GARY MORSE. Seriously people. I know this place pratically prints in own money, but he's not God for heavens sake. BTW - don't ever try and find him, he lives like Elvis did.

The Villages is not for everybody. Yes you can golf, in the summer when it's 90 degrees, there are activities if you get there early enough, you can drive your golf cart to the store if some elderly person or landscaper doesn't run you down, and they have activities at the squares, if you are a little senile maybe you won't remember that you've seen in 8 tmes a year for the last 3 years.

We are moving to a mixed community near a big city Tampa for more things to do, a little culture and a little room to breath. Thanks for letting me vent.

If the Villages is as you say and the TV Political ralley set there today, is an example of life there. Well people can keep the place. Because I for one would not want to retire in a den of Politics. That to me would be a very unwelcoming place, and America has become a haven for that in so many of its regions. We don't need that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:20 PM

23 posts, read 56,730 times
I noticed their web site does not state the costs(Hoa or any other fees other than a base line cost for homes) . They do not list the size of the land you build your home on. So how big is the lot- can you have dogs and do you pay real estate taxes.

We are retired but are 53 and 56 is this just a 65 and over community or a retirement community? We retired early by being thrifty.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:42 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,998,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianlady179 View Post
I noticed their web site does not state the costs(Hoa or any other fees other than a base line cost for homes) . They do not list the size of the land you build your home on. So how big is the lot- can you have dogs and do you pay real estate taxes.

We are retired but are 53 and 56 is this just a 65 and over community or a retirement community? We retired early by being thrifty.
You're too young. Look elsewhere.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:39 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,939 times
I visited the Villages for a week's stay. Guess who I sat next to on the plane ride down; a resident single man of the Villages in his late 60's who was planning to sell his place and move back north. His main reasons were that he was tired of everyone being old in the Villages, even though he was older himself, and also that he felt lonely because he did not find a relationship there. He said he had lived there for several years and was no longer interested in the place.

After my visit, I thought the Villages was okay but not for me. I agree with many of villager967's points. Way too crowded in season, to the point of being dangerous if you're in a golf cart. I also got rear-ended while driving around one of their many roundabouts after dark. And I want to be near a big city and not so far away from everything.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM

49 posts, read 99,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianlady179 View Post

We looked at the villages a few years ago. There is an HOA fee, property taxes, a bond assement and fees to participate in various clubs. The designer home lot sizes are minimal, one house we looked at was 6 feet from the house behind it. They allow 2 dogs per household.

The one plus is that it has many clubs and activities that can keep you busy.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 17,619 times
Default villages Vs other options

Having been to Florida many times from Naples on upwards & to the Tampa Bay area to Orlando/Villages....
I have to agree with some of the posts , The Villages are super nice but hectic... a lot of great points plus many bad points but whatever your life style is or whatever you would like it to be...
Homes are way overpriced for the size & square footage, lot size....plus upgrades are on your own, afterwards...........
Here`s a little secret I would like to share with all of you....about 50 minutes west of the Villages in Homosassa , Fl there is a development called Sugar Mill Woods....They have several golf courses, exercise facilities, dining facilities and you can buy some of these comforts annually, or all of them annually... houses are very nice , square footage, a lot of the homes have in ground pools....Many price ranges as well......Your close to Brooksville for shopping & an hour to Tampa airport or you can drive over to the Villages to spend time with friends as we do once a week.....Now in Homosassa , not much going on, but you don't have a lot of snowbirds either....My wife and I actually bought a home with a 3 car garage, in ground salt pool solar heated, home was in mint condition (2000 Sq. Ft)...and 4 bedrooms for 40% less than a 1500 square foot home in the villages with a 1 1/2 car garage....
We hired a pool guy to keep up the pool and lawn service at $160 p/month plus we still dable outside, with the shrubs and trees....but only if we want to....
We still get the nice Florida warmth & sun at 40% less the cost....investigate the area before you invest in your retirement....

Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 17,416 times
Hi faithful. I realize it has been a while since you posted to this thread but I'd like to ask if you would share the name of you community and location? If you do not want to make it public you can email me gallagherabc@yahoo.com. Thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 08:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
It was fun and interesting reading this thread. I am well over 55 but this would not be the place for me. Sounds for the most part like a financial rip off.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
.........the thing that these retirement "villages/centers" have going for them is that they're set up to handle the needs of older retirees ----with nursing care, assistance, medical resources, social resources, etc - as well as resources to assist folks getting to and from their doctors appts, grocery shopping, etc - nowadays with families spread out across the country, old folks don't necessarily have support from their kids as they age and having the infrastructure of assistance at their access is a good thing and makes retirement/aging easier for them to handle.......

Old 03-02-2014, 07:27 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Sounds like Sun City Center/ King's Point on steroids!

Seriously, though, if you're disenchanted with The Villages, the area of Sun City Center/King's Point/Valencia Lakes might be more to your liking. You have access to Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota and it certainly can be much less expensive, depending on where you buy in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida