Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:29 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times

Advertisements

So with all this talk from Gov. Rick Scott's office this week about how the "money just isn't there," and "we all have to tighten our belts," the news that he supports Orlando's $1.2 billion rail project SunRail came as a huge surprise. Now as many of you know, I am not against trains and think that if done correctly, they will enhance all parts of the Sunshine State. My beef is that during a bum economy, spending on community enhancements like SunRail and HSR should be deemed on-hold until things get better. Instead, money for our children's education is put on hold while billions of STATE (NOT the federal) dollars are being spent on these rail projects. We will have plenty of time to repair and replace our infrastructure within the next 10 years when things get better with the economy, but unfortunately, the effects of such a drastic and totally avoidable cut to public education, without any viable alternative in place other than "schools should do more with less," is going to hurt our children and state both now in 2011 and for years to come as those children grow into adulthood. Personally I think it's shameful and somebody truly concerned with fiscal responsibility should say, "not right now Federal Government, I've got children who are about to loose their teachers and I'm about to have no choice but to violate the 2x voter mandate for Class Size."

Read this article Florida and tell me what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:39 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
I suspect that he'll find a way to ignore both of them.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
I don't know about the Sunrail project but I've always thought that a HSR from Tampa to Orlando was a waste. I know all the advantages to rail but I just don't think it will be used enough to justify the expense. I agree that now is not the time, though, even if it might mean jobs are created. Education (which was pretty wasteful before) has already been slashed to the bone so, while $269M doesn't amount to much on a relative scale, I'd still rather see it go to a more immediate need. It's a tricky balance...immediate needs vs long term planning and preparation.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Move to Florida so your kids can get a poor education but you can travel between cities pretty easy.....

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
He also wants to give businesses price breaks on electrical and other utility costs. And if that does through, the power companies are going to be raising residental rates to pay for that cut in business rates.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't know about the Sunrail project but I've always thought that a HSR from Tampa to Orlando was a waste. I know all the advantages to rail but I just don't think it will be used enough to justify the expense. I agree that now is not the time, though, even if it might mean jobs are created. Education (which was pretty wasteful before) has already been slashed to the bone so, while $269M doesn't amount to much on a relative scale, I'd still rather see it go to a more immediate need. It's a tricky balance...immediate needs vs long term planning and preparation.
Very true, but what do you mean $269 million?? The state is on the hook for the first 7 years or so of operating both system plus close to half of the initial costs. I'm sure the stat's contribution alone would be enough to cover most of the shortfall in education. Unless there's more federal money (which still comes from the states), I rest my case.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:50 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Move to Florida so your kids can get a poor education but you can travel between cities pretty easy.....
If you are a teacher come to Florida and make no money in a failing school system that ranks 47th out of 50 already. I guess Scott is shooting for us to be 50th.
Scotts budget will be thrown out anyway. Even his own Republicans cronies are recognizing he is an incompatible idiot.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If you are a teacher come to Florida and make no money in a failing school system that ranks 47th out of 50 already. I guess Scott is shooting for us to be 50th.
Appreciate your point but we actually have seen 12 consecutive years of increases and were ranked much higher. I don't put much faith in the rankings but at least improvements were there. I think you're right, they won't continue due to RS's ideology.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
The article was based on a proposed budget line item for $269M for rail. When you discussed it vis-a-vis budget cuts for education, I thought you were discussing the expenditure.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:30 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
If you are a teacher come to Florida and make no money in a failing school system that ranks 47th out of 50 already. I guess Scott is shooting for us to be 50th..
Link? FL is in the middle of the pack for things like graduation rates, SAT scores, and other outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida