Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,593,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
The only thing I can say about this is, first I agree while it seems like the snow will be here for 6 months it really won't be.

6feet high - well maybe more. However, it is mostly due to snow being plowed. Yes, some snow drifts did wind up high, but mostly the tall mounds of snow are from trying to clear parking lots and roadways.

It's really frustrating - the parking at work is very difficult. Regular snow plowing plus clearing the roof off, the cleared snow takes up half of our already small parking lot. Two of the grocery stores have 1-2 end aisles of the parking lots blocked off. They moved as much snow as they could over there so there could actually be parking for customers - and the parking lot still has tons of snow in it.

Schools had been closed some days after storms due to roadways being too narrow and fearing safety for the bus rides. My coworker's daughter's school was closed for a week. A snow day, then 4-5 more days off due to the roof not being safe.

Sorry, I think I'm getting a little off topic here. I start thinking of the weather and my frustrations take over. The weather has been bad, worse than in the past. Bottom line is it WILL clear up, but right now it's frustrating.
I can understand the frustration with the weather. I hated the cold and at times the snow and that is why I came to Florida 20 years ago.

I only pointed out the exaggeration about the weather because I also point out when people exaggerate about Florida weather so I felt it was only fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 04:49 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,142,202 times
Mike, I get that. Heck for as much I know the snow won't stay here forever, I am guilty of moaning and groaing to myself that it (snow) will be here forever. LOL

But I do hear the same side of it from my relatives in FL. They lived there in 80's and loved it. Came back to CT after my cousin passed in late 80's. Moved back to FL in 2003 and do nothing but complain about the weather.

But they also complain about the weather up here too..........

Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 AM

142 posts, read 293,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
It was an extreme exaggeration by you, unless you are up around the Arctic Circle. Yes, you had some bad storms up there but the snow hasn't been nor will it be 6 ft high for 6 months straight.
It might not have been for six months (the winters not over yet, btw) but it's not an extreme exageration. The snow has been horrendous this year.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I have lived in Florida for over 20 years, I know quite a bit about Florida.
Like the fact that she probably wasn't happy was because she was single and 40's moving to an area with an average age of about 70.

I never mentioned crazy shiftless lowlife, I mentioned her being 40 years old and moving to Naples and anyone that knows Florida would know what I was talking about.
I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about this whole thread. Suggestions that people are coming to Florida out of desperation or because they're a criminal on the run, or having unrealistic expectations of never ending leisure (translation = lazy) etc. Not everyone going to Florida has expectations of basking in the sun everyday. They know they'll have to go to work just like they do where they presently live, unless they're retired. As for the reality that they might have to work two jobs to survive, many throughout this country are already doing that, while having to navigate through severe weather. Weighing these factors, and others I previously mentioned, and coming to the conclusion that you could do the same thing there as where you are presently living while limiting the jeopardy to one's life due to severe weather is not just realistic but also makes sense for many.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 AM

Default Snow piles up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
The only thing I can say about this is, first I agree while it seems like the snow will be here for 6 months it really won't be.

6feet high - well maybe more. However, it is mostly due to snow being plowed. Yes, some snow drifts did wind up high, but mostly the tall mounds of snow are from trying to clear parking lots and roadways.

It's really frustrating - the parking at work is very difficult. Regular snow plowing plus clearing the roof off, the cleared snow takes up half of our already small parking lot. Two of the grocery stores have 1-2 end aisles of the parking lots blocked off. They moved as much snow as they could over there so there could actually be parking for customers - and the parking lot still has tons of snow in it.

Schools had been closed some days after storms due to roadways being too narrow and fearing safety for the bus rides. My coworker's daughter's school was closed for a week. A snow day, then 4-5 more days off due to the roof not being safe.

Sorry, I think I'm getting a little off topic here. I start thinking of the weather and my frustrations take over. The weather has been bad, worse than in the past. Bottom line is it WILL clear up, but right now it's frustrating.
Not to mention there's no place to put the snow anymore because of EPA rules about salt contaminating the waterways. Before they would remove the snow in dump trucks and dump it into the river or lake. Because that's no longer allowed, driving has become very dangerous because you can't see around the mountains of snow.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:54 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,396,998 times
I can vouch for Anamandy. When I lived in Minneapolis in the winter of 1980 - 1981, we had our first snow near the end of October. From that point there was not a single melting day until March. All subsequent snows just simply accumulated and it was a very dry powdery type of snow. During some point in January we had a snowstorm that closed down my school, and I watched as 6 foot snowdrifts covered the window. A great deal of this was due to high winds as well as the sheer amount of snow that fell. I actually remember having a panicky feeling in the pit of my stomach because of that. It has a considerable bit of psychological impact when you see 6 foot snow drifts covering the windows and doors! That winter we had highs in the -30's and lows in the -60's. Windchill factors reduced that to -60 during the day and -90 during the night. It all ended in March with a thunderstorm and rain which then turned to a inch and a half foot layer on top of chest high snow. It was weird. It remained for a few days and then it finally melted and then I had an entire winter's worth of thawed out dog poop to deal with. Fun Times!! So I think having this sort of background would help someone to understand "why the desperation to move to Florida"! Look, compared to that, it's the Promised Land! Stick a gold dome in the center of it because it might as well be Jerusalem!

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 02-18-2011 at 02:04 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,142,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about this whole thread. Suggestions that people are coming to Florida out of desperation or because they're a criminal on the run, or having unrealistic expectations of never ending leisure (translation = lazy) etc. Not everyone going to Florida has expectations of basking in the sun everyday. They know they'll have to go to work just like they do where they presently live, unless they're retired. As for the reality that they might have to work two jobs to survive, many throughout this country are already doing that, while having to navigate through severe weather. Weighing these factors, and others I previously mentioned, and coming to the conclusion that you could do the same thing there as where you are presently living while limiting the jeopardy to one's life due to severe weather is not just realistic but also makes sense for many.

Amen to this. My family seems to think that all I anticipate doing when I move there. If that was my plan, I would've beenthere years ago.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:55 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,513,725 times
The best post so far in this thread stated the reasons for moving south for most of us are the weather, high taxes and high energy costs.

I could also list a hundred other reasons......but why argue. There will always be folks who will agree and there will always be folks who disagree. Thankfully we are all different.

For me, Florida will be a definite upgrade. For some it would not be.....which is good. I do not want everyone to move to Florida. Imagine wall to wall people with the 49 other states empty?? Thank God that will never happen, because we are all different.

I know what is right for me....I will try hard not to get pulled into the game of trying to convince others. I will sell my house here in NY to someone who loves it here. Then I will move to my Florida house. I will join the others who just quietly do what is best for them and live my days well.

Frank

Old 01-09-2014, 10:49 AM

292 posts, read 722,933 times
I got dragged into living in FL for 4 years, and most of the time I did not care for it. It is true that there are plenty of felons and the like crawling around there. The scammers are endemic and look for mostly retired people and try to take their money. The main difference between CA and FL is that many people go to the West Coast, but end up leaving or going homeless when they run out of money due to the high const of living. Florida is still considered in many areas to be relatively inexpensive compared to the Northeast or CA. Hence you have a larger number of scummy people that end up staying in some trailer causing trouble instead of going back where they came from.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 AM

111 posts, read 147,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
ANSWER: Because their lives turned miserable and they need to blame something for it.
I made a huge mistake of living here where i live but i didnt know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida