U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

37 posts, read 71,339 times

Advertisements

I've noticed quite a few threads referencing some sort of despair/urgency from an OP to move to Florida.

I find this interesting, because it's this sort of desperation that really spooks me about living here.

Granted, I haven't perused too many other state-sites, so perhaps desperate people are headed for all sorts of areas... But it really does concern me that that people who appear to be at their wits' ends look to come Florida. Why is Florida attracting people on the verge of their breaking-points? We are the laughing-stock of the nation, when it comes to this.

It can't just be the climate, alone. There's got to be something more to this... Please help me to connect the dots! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 02:03 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,185,663 times
It's because people see and hear of a Florida where everyone hangs out on the beach and listens to Jimmy Buffet, somehow coming to the conclusion that Floridians don't have to work or do other mundane day-to-day activities. Some people come down here and actually are able to attain parts of that lifestyle. However, at least on these forums, it seems like many people do not, as they come down here with little money, absolutely no job prospects, and without any sort of reasearch on the city to which they relocated.

These people are generally the types that complain about traffic quirks that are somehow limited only to Florida, rude transplants, a lack of culture, a lack of diversity, too much diversity (especially when it comes to the Spanish language), and the overall realization that most Floridians live just like people in the forty-nine other states.

Check around in all of the Florida subforums and you'll find threads about this in every single one of them. My personal favorites are the ones who up and move to the Keys, the ones who want a cheap four-bedroom house within walking distance to the beach, or the ones about how Florida is nothing like New York or New Jersey or Massachusetts, et cetera.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 AM

34,253 posts, read 41,284,536 times
With every one telling all their friends and family how much of a paradise Florida is and how they just spend so much time at the beach and how they dont have to deal with winter is it any wonder every one and their uncle are packing up and moving to Florida.
On this Florida forum and its subsections there are many people everyday asking basically the same info on wheres the best place to move to Florida.Whats that old saying about fitting 10lbs in a 5lb bag?, thats what Florida has become.
Well while all those weather weenies move south it frees up more jobs for the tougher people who can handle winter and it makes for marginally less traffic.
So next time a Floridian wants to tell northerners how much nicer it is in Florida equate the statement to 1000 people who read the post and decide they must move to Florida.
Yup c'mon down ==

It will be just like this all the time

Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 AM

2,863 posts, read 6,387,273 times
Florida also attracts the people trying to escape the law, family, life in general, whatever....

They start moving south to get away so they end up here since they can't go any further.

No where is this more evident than Key West. Years ago, before the internet, I was chatting with an ER nurse there. She was looking through a nationwide pamphlet type listing of missing persons. On nearly every page she recognized someone. It was creepy.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:12 AM

2,903 posts, read 10,916,945 times
We get this every year around this time. I think this year it has increased due to the harsher winter.

In the summer we will get all of the posts on hot unbearably hot it is and how they want to get out of the Florida heat.

During hurricane season you also get all of the "Oh my God" end of the world posts.....

Frank

Old 02-12-2011, 06:50 AM

509 posts, read 1,479,162 times
I agree! It seems like I spend a lot of time trying to get them to realize this is not paradise, 9 times out of 10 they will just pack their problems up and bring them with them, and they are suffereing from "the grass is always greener" syndrome.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,482,760 times
I guess I'm missing the posts you're referring to. Not everyone who is on this forum will move to Florida. An not everyone moving to FL are wack jobs or desperate. I think we should give them the same courtesy as everyone I'll have to deal with in September when I am "over" the summer, complaining every second, and packing up the car to head for the NC mountains!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 AM

15,126 posts, read 31,027,108 times
It certainly isn't unique to the Florida forums. I read several state forums here and see the same thing on many of them. There are even MORE of these type posts on the California forums!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:10 PM

4,341 posts, read 6,031,572 times
Some people think Florida guarantees 365 days of sunshine and happiness and they equate it to vacationing at Disney World. I mean.. who doesn't want year round happiness? I've had vacationers stop me on my walk on a cloudy day and ask me what's up with the weather. It's as if they came down expecting a guarantee that it would be sunny every day, no clouds, no problems, palm trees beautiful tan!

Old 02-12-2011, 04:48 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,354,741 times
Please don't assume it's EVERYONE

Am I desperate to move out of CT? yes. Why do I choose FL over CA, or AZ? Because I am familiar with it and have family there, so it feels more at home to me than out west would. I've been there in there (FL) in the sweltering months - granted for no more than 2 weeks, but still I know it's like.

FL attracts me (or rather warm weather, but FL for reasons I stated above) because of health issues I have that the harsh, and even not so harsh but still cold, winters bother me and make it quite unbearable.

While I won't argue and say the OP is wrong, I do dislike being lumped in that category of people. I realize you are not saying me, but I have family who tell me I am moving only for the reasons the OP stated, which is total BS - for my family to say to me, that is. I can tell you if I thought life in FL was truly like that, then I would've left CT years ago and figured things (like a job) out when I got there. But I am more realistic, which is why I still suffer here in CT.

That's MY reason for wanting to move to FL, but I can't speak for others as I do know people who moved there and laid on the beach everyday til the bank account started drying up and they realized "holy #@%!, I DO need a job".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or