U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 16,567 times

Advertisements

So I'm sure most of you have all seen the posts before. "I love the beach and want to move to Key West where it is paradise and I can live on vacation the rest of my life!". Well, mine is somewhat similar to that only I'm being just a LITTLE more realistic (although not much. LOL). I do love the beach and I would love to live in Key West. I'd also love to live the vacation life; however, I'm smart enough to know that unless I either meet a sugar mama or become a millionaire over night that just isn't going to happen.

Basically what it comes down to is, I'm 31yrs old and ready to follow the path that inside so desperately tells me to go. I'm not looking to move to Key West and buy a house on the beach or a house period to be honest because I know that isn't going to happen any time soon. I'm fine with renting a small place. I'm even ok with living on one of the other Keys (if less expensive, not too sure to be honest). My biggest question is what are the employment opportunities like around the different areas? Unfortunately I'm not a business professional and don't have experience in construction or fishing; however, I'm a fast learner, hard worker and willing to learn everything I can. I'm also about to have my bachelors in network security so I'm pretty damn nifty with computers. I'm not trying to spend the majority of my time jumping from bar to bar trying to pick up the women, I'm just trying to live the life that *I* want to live. I don't mind working long hours when I know that when I get off I can go sit on the beach for a few hours and just enjoy the peacefulness. Quite frankly I don' even drink that often at all and do no drugs so the majority of my $$ will be spent on housing and food.

Please don't be too sarcastic and brutal in any responses (If you so wish to respond). Just be honest.

Thanks,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,870,689 times
Why are you set on Key West? The Keys in general do not have wonderful beaches, but with that being said, the water is clear and warm many months out of the year, and the overall vibe is something you don't get in other parts of the country.

Look online for different jobs, then apply to those you qualify for. Secure a job, then move, unless you have quite a bit in savings. Most jobs are in the service industry, but there are tech jobs with the military down there.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:38 AM

15,130 posts, read 31,049,261 times
Hi Ryan. Is there a reason why it's gotta be the Keys? Probably the most expensive place in Florida with the least job opportunities.

Florida has a lot of beautiful beach communities, with more affordable housing and at least a LITTLE more job opportunities.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Coconut1, I think the fact that it stays warm enough year round to hit up the beaches and because it is an island is what truly appeals to me. You know, the whole "laid back island life" kind of akin to living in the Caribbean or something. I've actually considered Ft. Lauderdale too. I think that my biggest issue right now is one thing you mentioned, a lot in savings. I don't have a lot saved up (definitely not enough to live on). And, because I live so far away the possibility of getting hired without actually being there is slim to none. I would love to have a job working as a bartender or hell even cleaning dishes. Just whatever will help me pay the bills and allow me to have at least some type of life.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hi Ryan. Is there a reason why it's gotta be the Keys? Probably the most expensive place in Florida with the least job opportunities.

Florida has a lot of beautiful beach communities, with more affordable housing and at least a LITTLE more job opportunities.
Gypsychic, like I mentioned to Coconut1, I think it's the island life that appeals to me. I just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I don't mind being near it, I just don't want to live IN it anymore. Plus living in Key West would give me the chance to get away from driving a car for a while. I'm pretty interested in riding a bike or scooter everywhere. LOL

Old 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,870,689 times
South Florida, in terms of the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and even SW FL, Naples, are actually warmer during the days than in Key West and the Keys.

The Keys generally have a more stable temperature. For example, in Miami it might get to 78 during the day and at night fall into the low to mid 50's, whereas Key West would get to 73-74 and only fall to 65 or so.

The bottom line is both are okay for doing outdoor activities, beach or otherwise. The only dilemma would be the water temperature would can be only in the low 70's and on cold days in the upper 60's. Swimmable, yes, but not the tropical water temperature you might be thinking, at least in the winter.

Have you visited Key West or the FL Keys before?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 PM

We lived in Key West (Near the Naval base) for a few months when I was just a small small child so I don't particularly remember it. I have friends who have visited recently as well as know someone who lives there. I'm looking for somewhere that I could potentially wear shorts and flip flops year round with no problem.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,297,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicarbon View Post
So I'm sure most of you have all seen the posts before. "I love the beach and want to move to Key West where it is paradise and I can live on vacation the rest of my life!". Well, mine is somewhat similar to that only I'm being just a LITTLE more realistic (although not much. LOL). I do love the beach and I would love to live in Key West. I'd also love to live the vacation life; however, I'm smart enough to know that unless I either meet a sugar mama or become a millionaire over night that just isn't going to happen.

Basically what it comes down to is, I'm 31yrs old and ready to follow the path that inside so desperately tells me to go. I'm not looking to move to Key West and buy a house on the beach or a house period to be honest because I know that isn't going to happen any time soon. I'm fine with renting a small place. I'm even ok with living on one of the other Keys (if less expensive, not too sure to be honest). My biggest question is what are the employment opportunities like around the different areas? Unfortunately I'm not a business professional and don't have experience in construction or fishing; however, I'm a fast learner, hard worker and willing to learn everything I can. I'm also about to have my bachelors in network security so I'm pretty damn nifty with computers. I'm not trying to spend the majority of my time jumping from bar to bar trying to pick up the women, I'm just trying to live the life that *I* want to live. I don't mind working long hours when I know that when I get off I can go sit on the beach for a few hours and just enjoy the peacefulness. Quite frankly I don' even drink that often at all and do no drugs so the majority of my $$ will be spent on housing and food.

Please don't be too sarcastic and brutal in any responses (If you so wish to respond). Just be honest.

Thanks,
Ryan
I'm sure there are people living there that are in a similar situation to you. If you are willing to possibly work two jobs and have roommates and less than stellar living accommodations, I'm sure you will find something.

However, you might consider one of two options. Living "elsewhere" in Florida that is beautiful and on the ocean that has more job opportunities, or living somewhere else that is by the ocean.

Personally, as much as I LOVE Key west (and I do, make no mistake), I would much rather live in Ft. Meyers Beach and have a little nicer place to live with no roommates and maybe a better selection of a job. Or, I would be very happy to live on St. Padre Island and live and work in Port Isabel where I could live very well on a modest income - and yet enjoy the beach as much as I wanted to (except at Spring Break, when I would be someplace (anyplace) else.)

Key West is paradise, no doubt. But Paradise is not always the best, or the most practical place to live. Think too, that what if you HATE living there? Then your paradise will be shattered! Better to live someplace else and visit paradise on a regular basis.

JMHO

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-12-2011, 10:54 PM

20yrsinBranson,

You bring up some extremely valid points and opinions. Honestly, somewhere like Ft. Lauderdale or Miami is the only other place I've considered that may be somewhat like the Keys, although I realize in all honesty they aren't. I think that my biggest desire is just to be as close as possible, with the opportunity to succeed and live. I honestly just want a simple life. I would be happy just having a little shack next to the beach with some palm trees and a fishing pole (You know, the beach bum pipe dream. LOL). Ft. Myers doesn't sound too bad (as I've driven through there and know those who've lived there) and South Padre does sound wonderful; however, I'm just not too sure I want to move out to Texas. All of my family is either in Jacksonville or here in Virginia so I'd like to stay somewhat close (at least the same coast).

Old 02-13-2011, 05:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,681,640 times
Have you considered the USVI...on our last trip to St Croix...we spent some time looking around at housing/etc...and speaking to some of the transplants from the main land (that's what they refer to the states as). Most of the business's seem to hire transplants...for we ran into people from almost every cold weather state in the union...and several from Florida...they all shared rooms/apartments and living quarters...and all seemed to be happy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida