Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,839,429 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind a Michigander posting a thread on a Florida site. I will be getting my degree in elementary education within two years, but I thought I would pick some Floridians minds about whether moving there from MI is worth it. I have seen from other threads on Florida about people thinking of moving from up north that it's very hard to find a good paying job and having a nice house in a good neighborhood. I little background on me; I am a male in my mid 40s (teaching is my second career). My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience. My daughter is 11. Both wife and daughter love FL (especially Tampa area) having visited there a number of times in recent years.
I was at a recent job fair for teachers up here and there were a number of FL schools recruiting new teachers.

Any advice on Florida's cost of living

what school districts are good to work in (FL teachers could maybe respond)

housing in the 200 to 280K range

Thanks for all your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:50 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind a Michigander posting a thread on a Florida site. I will be getting my degree in elementary education within two years, but I thought I would pick some Floridians minds about whether moving there from MI is worth it. I have seen from other threads on Florida about people thinking of moving from up north that it's very hard to find a good paying job and having a nice house in a good neighborhood. I little background on me; I am a male in my mid 40s (teaching is my second career). My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience. My daughter is 11. Both wife and daughter love FL (especially Tampa area) having visited there a number of times in recent years.
I was at a recent job fair for teachers up here and there were a number of FL schools recruiting new teachers.

You might want to look into Duval/Clay County (Jacksonville area), since this area meets your price requirements, but I have no clue about teacher pay or good/bad districts. I do know that St.Johns County to the south has a reputation for fantastic schools, but it's more expensive down that way. Maybe someone will have some heads up about Jacksonville!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:11 PM

54 posts, read 317,343 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

my mid 40s (teaching is my second career).
My wife is a nurse with almost 20 years experience.

At the job fair you should have asked those questions.
Yes, Florida is growing and they are going to have a shortage of teachers for a long time to come.
Before you jump, research the archives of this site, while you have the time.

As a teacher my kids were eligible for reduced lunch prices, banks wouldn't approve a loan for the housing you are looking for unless your wife's income is double yours.

If Michigan is similar to Ohio costs, it used to be cheaper to live in Florida.
It was better for me, I was able to rationalize the lower pay by adding up my cost of living, not the governments which ignores too many things I spend my money on.

Florida had lower taxes, cheaper insurance for low priced homes, easier to heat or cool, better temperatures before global warming.
Here autos lasted longer than the payments, no salt on the roads.
Ohio had more taxes for income, state and city taxes.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:19 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
The Tampa area certainly has houses in the $225k-280k range, the choice in the $200k-$225k range is limited (talking about SFH, construction less than 10 years).

I think that if you come to Florida with substantial equity gains from a sale of a house in Michigan, reducing or eliminating a mortgage payment, being left with only taxes, HOI, and possibly HOA, then, with possibly other substantial savings/investments and certainly the two incomes, you should be alright.

Anything less than that, then do your calculations very, very carefully.

In any case, your best bet would be to rent first and see how things go.

Teaching is a noble profession, especially as a second career, so I hope it works out for you.

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 05:55 AM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
When you were at the job fair, did you sign a contract with any of the FL school systems?

In Pinellas Coiunty, they are closing schools. My husband said that in Hillsborough, they're doing the same. A lot of working families are leaving this area - in droves - due to the stratospheric cost of homeowners' insurance, without which, you can't get a mortgage. Property taxes are another problem. So it might be better for you in a non-coastal area of the state.

If you signed a contract with a public school system, they ought to honor it and place you.

If, on the other hand, you're still looking for a potential county to move to, you might google it, for instance "duval county fl public school system" for the Jax area.

Good luck in your search! My husband is also looking for a teaching job (middle school), but so far hasn't found one as enrollments in our area are falling.

FL is a wonderful state, although it has its problems like anywhere else.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Lakeland (and Polk County) has a BOOMING school enrollment. They also have over a billion $$$ to build more schools, and will be needing teachers. There was also an article in the local paper about how all the Polk County teachers got a nice raise this year.

As the frosting on the cake, housing prices and costs are some of the lowest anywhere, yet this County is rather progressive. Lakeland is gorgeous and has historic homes near town and many nice developments - lots of houses in your price range and less. You may want to check it out!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:16 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've seen the exact copy of this post on other states threads and all I can suggest is that you wait.

You don't have your teaching certification yet, and by your post you still have 2 more years of schooling left. If you already have a Bachelors degree then your time frame likely would be shorter, because many states have fast track certification for those with degrees.

The information provided here now would likely be nill and void over the next two years.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
My daughter has been teaching for 15 years, the last 10 in Okeechobee as the high school band director. She just accepted the position of middle school band director near Zephyrhills in Pasco County (middle school has a less demanding schedule while her children are young). Her husband is a fireman/parmedic with the Clearwater dept. They have 3 kids. They just purchased a 4 br, 3 ba, home with pool and spa in Lake Bernadette, 2 car plus cart garage, formal LR plus family room, beautifully landscaped, for $270,000. The have no trouble meeting their budget on a teacher's and fireman's salaries, including day care, etc. They also looked at a 5/3 on 1 acre of ground with a pool for $275,000 and a fancy 4/3 with pool in a rich neighborhood for $283,000, so your budget is right in line.

You will not earn as much as a 15 year teacher, but your wife will have no difficulty finding work as a nurse anywhere she goes. She can probably make the most money on contract with a home health agency; my wife is a contract physical therapist with the VNA and makes a tidy sum. The VNA of Florida has offices in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties among others in that area.

Go for it. But, research carefully, look at many houses, be willing to walk if your offer is not accepted, and plan to budget wisely.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:43 PM

24 posts, read 98,383 times
If you are coming to Florida, my advice as a fellow educator is....Stay in North or Central Florida. I teach in South Florida and am moving because it is so difficult to teach here. Many other teachers here are doing the same. Accountability on steroids... can't even teach anymore there is so much testing! ( due mostly to FCAT, our wonderful state assessment). South Florida is extremely expensive to live in. Outrageous homeowner's insurance, housing is very pricey to say the least and general cost of living is definitely higher. Since Florida does not have a state wide base salary like some other states, teacher salaries in the some of the Northern counties are very low. The difference in salary between my county and Alachua county ( Gainesville) is a cut of nearly $10,000 a year! So... definitely research salaries... you can go on any of the Florida county school district websites and get the salaries. Good Luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:27 AM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lakeland (and Polk County) has a BOOMING school enrollment. They also have over a billion $$$ to build more schools, and will be needing teachers. There was also an article in the local paper about how all the Polk County teachers got a nice raise this year.

As the frosting on the cake, housing prices and costs are some of the lowest anywhere, yet this County is rather progressive. Lakeland is gorgeous and has historic homes near town and many nice developments - lots of houses in your price range and less. You may want to check it out!

Plus to you for this, gypsychic - I passed the word along to my DH to get his app in with the Lakeland schools. Personally, I don't want to move, but it's not far from here and I want him to find the life he wants

Our housing budget is lower than the OP, but we might be able to find some land, or a tear-down, and build our own. Have done it before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida