U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, Fla
1,822 posts, read 5,153,948 times
Reputation: 1382

Advertisements

I moved to Fla from ny as a teenager. I don't know what the other situations are in your life (there's so much to consider in a decision like this) but personally speaking, I think the move to Fla was good for us. Yes, it was boring, I wasnt nearly as independant as I would have liked to have been (public trans, taxis, trains, buses, etc) but the florida lifestyle tempered us a bit. I didn't catch how old your kids were but I wish you the best in your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Riverview
372 posts, read 599,516 times
Reputation: 74
Just my .02 cents...

I'm originally from upstate NY (near Cooperstown), and lived in a very safe college-town community (Hartwick College and SUNY Oneonta) with a population of around 15k.

In my 40+ years there, there was only 1 homicide when I was a teenager. Registered sex offenders were (and still are) few and far between in Otsego County.

My ex-wife came to FL for a winter vacation in 2003 with my daughter (whom we share joint custody) and called me from FL. She asked, "What would you think about moving to Florida?" I asked my present wife what she thought and she was all for it, so we researched FL and tried to find the safest city with the best education.

My ex and I have a stipulation in our divorce agreement that neither can move more than 25 miles away from each other. That way, our daughter will always stay in our lives.

Within a few months, we all sold our houses, packed up and moved to FL.
We've been in Riverview ever since.

In retrospect, upstate NY has a much better educational system, higher rated schools and is significantly safer than FL. On the other side of the coin, we all love the weather here and love being near the beach.

You'll have positives and negatives no matter what your decision is. As a father of a 13 year old daughter, I'd be completely lost, depressed and heartbroken if I didn't see my daughter on a regular basis.

My ex and I despised each other at the end of our relationship, but we get along great APART from each other. As much as I didn't like my ex when we divorced, I couldn't take her daughter away from her, just like she couldn't do that to me.

Whatever your decision is, make sure your children don't pay the price.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2007, 11:33 PM
 
780 posts, read 937,535 times
Reputation: 425
'As far a Florida goes, its not great growing up in the cold weather states, our kids live indoors 9 month a year and Florida kids ( most of them ) are outside playing and having a blast year around.'

I don't find that to be the case down here. Kids born and raised here tend to stay in the A/C and on the computer way too much.. The heat and humidity isn't conducive to much outside of water sports. Plus it ismazing how many long time Floridians never use their pool or even go to our incredible beaches either ..Growing up in the north we were actually outside much more as kids..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:02 AM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 167,779 times
Reputation: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
'As far a Florida goes, its not great growing up in the cold weather states, our kids live indoors 9 month a year and Florida kids ( most of them ) are outside playing and having a blast year around.'

I don't find that to be the case down here. Kids born and raised here tend to stay in the A/C and on the computer way too much.. The heat and humidity isn't conducive to much outside of water sports. Plus it ismazing how many long time Floridians never use their pool or even go to our incredible beaches either ..Growing up in the north we were actually outside much more as kids..
Kids that live indoors in beautiful weather on computers and video games need parents who set aside time to do those things, like I tell my kids, it beautiful outside and winter is 2 months away, go out and play!

If you live in Florida and spend your life in A/C, I feel for you. At least the pool and beaches are there as needed or wanted year around, here you have 3 months to enjoy outdoors then its back to the freezer for 9 months. Floridians have a choice to stay in or go out, we ( freeze states ) do not.

My BIL lives near Ft Lauderdale and tells me that is rubbish, he tells me the heat and humidity doesnt bother him or his family and they are poolside almost every day year around. He wont even come to Ohio to visit unless it is August and 100 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:12 AM
 
8,376 posts, read 20,548,561 times
Reputation: 2234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post

My BIL lives near Ft Lauderdale and tells me that is rubbish, he tells me the heat and humidity doesnt bother him or his family and they are poolside almost every day year around. He wont even come to Ohio to visit unless it is August and 100 degrees.
I''m near Fort Lauderdale and sometimes the heat can be quite enjoyable. Its humid, but it is breezy, and clean, and there is just something tropical and magical about it. I hate it when its still outside, but when you have that breeze, it just ahhhhhh. I took a walk yesterday and it was hot, but it was breezy and just, well, beautiful. There was something really enjoyable about it. Some days, its just like the "florida winter" and really disgusting, but sometimes we got those nice sultry but breezy summer days. Orlando is NASTY though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 03:34 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
3,859 posts, read 6,131,013 times
Reputation: 2520
If you can comfortably afford up to $1500 in rent, you'll be within budget economically.

The other issue is the child's welfare. Of course the situation varies by local area, but in general Florida schools are not the best and without significant parent input, the chances of a relatively poor education are high.
It is a challenge for two parents to raise one child. One poster rightly asked if you have any trusted relatives in the area who can help you. If not, you may be taking a shot in the dark when it comes to your child's education, even emotional welfare, especially if you are out working most of the time and cannot dedicate time to her education.

But, again, as the same poster already mentioned, we do not know all the circumstances, so maybe you already have these aspects covered.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 10:45 AM
 
58 posts, read 124,676 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvanabee View Post
Should I raise my kids in Florida or New York?


No.




_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 11:59 AM
 
Location: NY/ FL
265 posts, read 799,696 times
Reputation: 89
Default I have 3 small children and ...

Having just moved to Florida from Long Island, I can offer you some of what I have experienced so far.
I have three young children and I can say that without a doubt, NY has much better services for children. Florida just dosn't cater to kids the way NY does. For instance, EI, if you ever need it. Florida makes you jump through hoops to get any services for your children. In NY, if you need it, you get it. I have had two kids in EI, so I know what I am talking about.

Simply put - your kids will get a better education in NY than florida - that is common knowledge. The Dr's are better. I have had the hardest time trying to find a pediatrician for my kids that is half as attentive and thorough as my LI dr.

There are many more organizations for kids on LI - from little leagues to clubs and everything in between.

Florida has the highest crime rate against children than any state in the country. Thier cps is known for being horrible.

Now don't get me wrong, Florida's weather is great, it is a beautiful state that does have alot to offer. But children are just not the main priority to most of the residents and state officials. It is sad, but true.

Why did I move here. If I had a chance, I would run back to LI. BUT, my husband was transf'd here by his government job and it was non negotiable.

Go ahead and bash me if you want, but that is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:08 PM
SKB
 
Location: WPB
898 posts, read 2,414,514 times
Reputation: 310
Minnimom,

What branch of Government does your husband work in where they force you to transfer?

I have never heard of this and my husband is 15 years into his career with CBP.

I feel badly for you that your move has not been the best experience for you. I hope as your kids grow up things will improve.
I hope we will be happy there, we have no more kids anymore so it's going to be just us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:10 PM
 
2,141 posts, read 4,859,975 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Having just moved to Florida from Long Island, I can offer you some of what I have experienced so far.
I have three young children and I can say that without a doubt, NY has much better services for children. Florida just dosn't cater to kids the way NY does. For instance, EI, if you ever need it. Florida makes you jump through hoops to get any services for your children. In NY, if you need it, you get it. I have had two kids in EI, so I know what I am talking about.

Simply put - your kids will get a better education in NY than florida - that is common knowledge. The Dr's are better. I have had the hardest time trying to find a pediatrician for my kids that is half as attentive and thorough as my LI dr.

There are many more organizations for kids on LI - from little leagues to clubs and everything in between.

Florida has the highest crime rate against children than any state in the country. Thier cps is known for being horrible.

Now don't get me wrong, Florida's weather is great, it is a beautiful state that does have alot to offer. But children are just not the main priority to most of the residents and state officials. It is sad, but true.

Why did I move here. If I had a chance, I would run back to LI. BUT, my husband was transf'd here by his government job and it was non negotiable.

Go ahead and bash me if you want, but that is my opinion.
This is very truthful, I have talked to other people that have said the same thing. I sent my kids to private school here. But I have always been here so I can't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top