U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:01 PM

14,939 posts, read 10,208,942 times

Advertisements

Free lunch? What's that? My son never qualified for anything free or reduced.

Looks like you got your mind made up and I wish you the very best in your decisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 01:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,736,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
Free lunch? What's that? My son never qualified for anything free.

Looks like you got your mind made up and I wish you the very best in your decisons.
I already live here...

And I think you need to read up a little more on the structure of the American education system...no more hijacking from this point on. Go Huntington Long Island to the original poster, because dad lives there! The Walt Whitman area is fairly decent.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:13 PM

553 posts, read 1,760,409 times
Just a word I live in suffolk and most not all schools are great,but if your kids a dope it will not matter where he or she goes . just a thought

Old 07-22-2007, 03:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,254,365 times
I really hate to say this but it seems to be that people want school to be easy, full of what they can do for my kid etc. That not what school is for.

You can take a good kid with alittle brains and place him/her in a half way decent school and IF the PARENTS get off their butts and get involved with the kids, that kids will do well no matter what school it is.

School is not there for freebies, what they can give to help you with, it is there for your kids to progress with their education, many kids do terribly on test therefore hurting the schools overall numbers because........ The parents are not working with the kid !!!

If your kid is not doing good, it is not the schools fault, its your fault.

I can put my 9 year old in any school and she will excel, I will make sure she will. Yes, in some schools it might take some more work on our part as parents, but she will excel, I promise that.

Some juice, my 9 years olds teacher last year in 3rd grade told us this.

She has teached for 20 years and told us that she can easily see the kids that excel in everything they do have parents that care and are working with their kids in the learning process. She said parents who are involved call her and leave her notes all year long asking questions, and the kids whose parents never call or leave her notes, well, they are at the bottom year after year.

It is a fact, your kid learns from you..... Its your job to teach your kids, not the teacher or the school. They are only a PART of the process.

I dont want to even touch the free lunch program because I will be banned for life......... but I will say the few kids on our school that get it, and we only have a few, it's because yup... the parents are lazy asses who have 125.00 cable bills and their kid is getting free lunch....

Get involved with your child and you will see a huge difference no matter what school they are in!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,237,095 times
Floridabound09: You know I like you, and you have been all over Florida, often, but...

You haven't lived there.

I have five kids. Raised most of them in Massachusetts. Yes, it is cold, and it snows. Quite frankly, the kids were out in it all the time.

My youngest was born in Florida. She couldn't make it outside more than 15 minutes in the unbearable heat, and that was for several months. If you have a pool, I suppose that could help, but we didn't have one. Couldn't afford that on Florida wages.

Going to the beach? I went more in Massachusetts. Red tide is a health risk and the Gulf of Mexico in Fort Myers is extremely hot. It is hardly refreshing and not worth fighting traffic to go to.

Here, in Tennessee, my daughter plays outside more, but really, the kids that grew up in Massachusetts played outside the most.

Don't even get me going on the Florida school system.

But you are right. Her personal situation regarding her children and divorce will take precedence over anything we say. Good for you for saying that.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:23 PM

15,115 posts, read 31,005,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I really hate to say this but it seems to be that people want school to be easy, full of what they can do for my kid etc. That not what school is for.

You can take a good kid with alittle brains and place him/her in a half way decent school and IF the PARENTS get off their butts and get involved with the kids, that kids will do well no matter what school it is.

School is not there for freebies, what they can give to help you with, it is there for your kids to progress with their education, many kids do terribly on test therefore hurting the schools overall numbers because........ The parents are not working with the kid !!!

If your kid is not doing good, it is not the schools fault, its your fault.

I can put my 9 year old in any school and she will excel, I will make sure she will. Yes, in some schools it might take some more work on our part as parents, but she will excel, I promise that.

Some juice, my 9 years olds teacher last year in 3rd grade told us this.

She has teached for 20 years and told us that she can easily see the kids that excel in everything they do have parents that care and are working with their kids in the learning process. She said parents who are involved call her and leave her notes all year long asking questions, and the kids whose parents never call or leave her notes, well, they are at the bottom year after year.

It is a fact, your kid learns from you..... Its your job to teach your kids, not the teacher or the school. They are only a PART of the process.

I dont want to even touch the free lunch program because I will be banned for life......... but I will say the few kids on our school that get it, and we only have a few, it's because yup... the parents are lazy asses who have 125.00 cable bills and their kid is getting free lunch....

Get involved with your child and you will see a huge difference no matter what school they are in!
I have to kind of agree with floridabound here - my mom gave me lots of tutoring before I even started school and I excelled throughout. I really do believe a lot of it starts at home, schools just cannot be 100% blamed for students not doing well.

Florida schools may not be the best, some places they are better than others, but what they learn at home is the most important, IMO.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I have to kind of agree with floridabound here - my mom gave me lots of tutoring before I even started school and I excelled throughout. I really do believe a lot of it starts at home, schools just cannot be 100% blamed for students not doing well.

Florida schools may not be the best, some places they are better than others, but what they learn at home is the most important, IMO.
Right. This has been brought up over and over on the Florida forum. Parents are what really count. And it is true. But it is also an excellent way to excuse the deplorable Florida schools.

But, would you send your child to a crappy or superior school, even if you are super involved? All things being equal, I mean.

Like Floridabound said, it's not the school's fault, it's your fault. May I add, if you send them to an inferior school.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Right. This has been brought up over and over on the Florida forum. Parents are what really count. And it is true. But it is also an excellent way to excuse the deplorable Florida schools.

But, would you send your child to a crappy or superior school, even if you are super involved? All things being equal, I mean.

Like Floridabound said, it's not the school's fault, it's your fault. May I add, if you send them to an inferior school.
It's the parents fault to not push for superior services. When the parents push for better services, they receive, no matter where you are. Thats the great thing about this country. Florida has one of the highest percentages of free/reduced lunch students in the United States. Does it seem strange that overall, it will have some of the most poorly ranked schools? I bet a school where the number is below 20 percent will have more parents up in arms for better services, because they may tend to expect more. Not saying that lower income people always expect less, but unfortunately, it is usually the case that wealthier neighborhoods (or neighborhoods with wealthier families/children) have better schools for that reason. The "Go to private school" option is terrible because it discourages more decline in a neighborhoods public schools. What you must do is fight for better. It worked at our high school down here, the improvements were very significant. At the elementary and middle schools, we did not really have to push, because other parents were already doing it. Good services were already being offered. It's the same as anywhere else in that respect. Long Island will tend to have better schools because it is a known family area where the local people push for the best services. If the same thing was done in Florida, Florida would have excellent schools. The reason the schools are ailing here is because, well, over 15 percent of our state is over the age of 65. Nuff said. Family oriented pockets exist, like Seminole County, but it is not the norm here like it is in state where population demographics are younger, yet more affluent.

Hiknapster, what part of Florida did you live?

Old 07-22-2007, 05:05 PM

fort lauderdale:

I agree with all that you have said!

I lived in Fort Myers for nine years. I have my seven-year-old baby girl here, in Knoxville, now.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
fort lauderdale:

I agree with all that you have said!

I lived in Fort Myers for nine years. I have my seven-year-old baby girl here, in Knoxville, now.
Yeah, the schools are a major weak spot in Fort Myers. Not much of a family area. See what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or