U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM

460 posts, read 2,145,013 times

Advertisements

Backtofla, I think your choice should be north Florida. It sounds like a good compromise for you and your wife to settle on.
I have been here for a mere 3 weeks now in Palm Coast and I just love it. It is a little bit awkward the way its spread out but you get used to it and the fact that its just a quick jump to the ocean and only about an hour or so from Orlando, 20 min from St. Augustine and 20 to Daytona, make it a good spot, IMHO...

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,537,717 times
i would like to live in winter springs, just outside of orlando, b/c i like it a lot. but orlando (in general) is just not the place i want to be, really. if i lived in winter springs, sure i would love my area, but you still have to drive in and around orlando most likely. i want to be somewhere more community-oriented, where ppl are friendlier, drive better, etc...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,740,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
ld love my area, but you still have to drive in and around orlando most likely. i want to be somewhere more community-oriented, where ppl are friendlier, drive better, etc...
...Winter Springs? . How about O-vee-der? They even have a shopping mall there. You will seldom have to leave, assuming you work in the burbs! That was the only area in Orlando that I actually liked!

Where in Orlando do you live? Seriously, just move to Seminole County! Kind of like people who get tired of Miami move into Broward or Palm Beach, except it can be even better in a couple of ways.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:37 PM

o-vee-der! well hell far boy! hahaha! i lived in oviedo --- liked it. i live in east orlando in the waterford lakes areas.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Wow, that used to be a nice area. Never had a problem with the people there.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:57 PM

262 posts, read 847,060 times
Backtofla, if you don't mind, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I also left FL, back in the 70's, and after enduring a couple of miserable years, made a mad dash back home.

You've already said if you go to Greenville, you'll miss FL. And those SC winters are no fun. If you're already dubious, I doubt that you'll be happy in Greenville - and if you move there, it might be hard to pull up roots again and move back to FL.

Some others have a good idea - live near Orlando but in the outlying area. You might consider living closer to Cocoa or St. Johns County. Both are close by, so you'll still be close to family without being in the city.

Hope this helps, and that you can find a satisfactory solution to the dilemma.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:05 PM

thank you, suncoaster. i appreciate the comments.

ft lauderdale, waterford areas still are nice, it just seems as if the ppl moving in, no offense, mostly out of state, carry themselves a little differently than i am used to. now, when i speak of the crime aspect, and things of that nature, i am not talking about waterford, although we do have the occasional thefts, car break-ins, etc...

but what i am complaining about when i talk about my neighborhood, are the ppl that: dont mow their grass hardly at all, leave trash outside for days, park all over the street making it impossible for cars to pass by one another at the same time, loud music (usually that raggaeton trash --- sorry, i cant stand it), and one couple down the street even tried to put up a big flag in the yard. i mean a big flag, and it wasnt a u.s. flag, some of you may be able to guess which... these things, although not too bad, are just irritating. i thought, when buying into a subdivision in which houses are priced b/w $ mid two-hundreds on up to mid-400k's, this wouldnt be a problem. and a lot of neighbors are not too friendly, but some are. i have had a couple run-ins with a couple of them about things that were mostly just minor stuff, but... it still bothers me a little.

there also seems to be a lot of turn-over here. ppl moving in and out. maybe it's just orlando in general (ppl moving around and out of town, etc...) a lot of my neighbors don't speak english, and hard to communicate at times, just to day hello and things like that... sometimes i dont even get a wave back. i dont know if it's orlando or what, but ppl just always seem to be either in a hurry or mad. i dont really remember fla being like this when i lived here before, but then again, i wasnt living in the orlando area.

when i talk about all this and realy think about it, combine these headaches with the fact that orlando's crime is out of control (in some parts), job pay is mediocre, cost of living is much higher than it should be, ppl are rude, bad drivers, etc... i just want out, really.

even if i wanted to sell my house tomorrow, i probably couldnt. my neighbors grass is practically knee-high, unfortunately.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
ft lauderdale, waterford areas still are nice, it just seems as if the ppl moving in, no offense, mostly out of state, carry themselves a little differently than i am used to. now, when i speak of the crime aspect, and things of that nature, i am not talking about waterford, although we do have the occasional thefts, car break-ins, etc...

but what i am complaining about when i talk about my neighborhood, are the ppl that: dont mow their grass hardly at all, leave trash outside for days, park all over the street making it impossible for cars to pass by one another at the same time, loud music (usually that raggaeton trash --- sorry, i cant stand it), and one couple down the street even tried to put up a big flag in the yard. i mean a big flag, and it wasnt a u.s. flag, some of you may be able to guess which... these things, although not too bad, are just irritating. i thought, when buying into a subdivision in which houses are priced b/w $ mid two-hundreds on up to mid-400k's, this wouldnt be a problem. and a lot of neighbors are not too friendly, but some are. i have had a couple run-ins with a couple of them about things that were mostly just minor stuff, but... it still bothers me a little.

there also seems to be a lot of turn-over here. ppl moving in and out. maybe it's just orlando in general (ppl moving around and out of town, etc...) a lot of my neighbors don't speak english, and hard to communicate at times, just to day hello and things like that... sometimes i dont even get a wave back. i dont know if it's orlando or what, but ppl just always seem to be either in a hurry or mad. i dont really remember fla being like this when i lived here before, but then again, i wasnt living in the orlando area.

when i talk about all this and realy think about it, combine these headaches with the fact that orlando's crime is out of control (in some parts), job pay is mediocre, cost of living is much higher than it should be, ppl are rude, bad drivers, etc... i just want out, really.

even if i wanted to sell my house tomorrow, i probably couldnt. my neighbors grass is practically knee-high, unfortunately.
It's Orlando. Serisouly, the demographics are similar to your neighborhood in mine, but people here stay put ,are well behaved (maybe not immediately "friendly" but always classy and usually down to earth,still wave to you and say "hi"), and the Latins in my neighborhood here put American flags in front of their homes (Seriously).The people living here mostly Miami-commuters who want to come home to a nice place and take care of their neighborhood. It has a distinctively sturdy feeling, but people here are of all sorts of races and backgrounds. Iv noticed that Orlando tends to attract the not-so-nice factors of other places, whether that place been Puerto Rico or New Jersey, and that its come-and-go factor means nobody really wants to take the time to take care of their neighborhood, or say high to their neighbors.It also creates a "candyland" for sex offenders.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:27 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,024,727 times
I think North Fla is a good compromise. What about Melbourne and that area, if you like your job in Orlando you could always commute? If you both like Florida, then why not stay and save paying a state income tax and reregistering cars, etc... it's a short drive to SC or Orlando.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

ft lauderdale, unfortunately you are probably right about the sex offenders. i looked it up, and i got about 71 i think within 5 miles. one is literally right down the street. i could probably hit his house with a rock from my house. but remember, i gotta hell of an arm, kid! hahaha

all joking aside, why does orlando seem to bring in such ppl? it's like why orlando? why do so many ppl come here with criminal records? .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or