Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is in Fort Myers. She has lived in it since 1984 and she has NO equity. It is on MLS but not realtor dot com or anything else. She just dropped it $20,000, to 179,500. We will try that link. Thanks!
Honestly, just from what you've posted, it makes me feel even more strongly that her best bet might be to let the bank sell it for her.

If the home is truly worth the $179,500 that she is listing it for and she only owes $114,000 than she does have some equity ($65,500).

It would be great if she could sell it herself and walk away with some of that equity, but in the meantime, while she is waiting for it to sell, she is slipping further and further into foreclosure and may come home one afternoon to find the sheriff at the door asking her to move her things out right now.

If there is no realtor marketing the home, the MLS listing alone might not be enough exposure in this market. Also, what will she do when a buyer asks for some repairs to be done - does she have the cash to take care of that? How will she handle the legalities of going into contract and closing? Unless she has some experience with this, it is not wise to go it alone (she will have to hire a real estate attorney). She also may have to deal with some unscrupulous people who will be attracted to her selling "by owner" - a lot of cons come out of the woodwork and try to get over on homeowners in desperate situations and she could end up unknowingly handing over her equity to them. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for FSBOs, but considering the current market and your MILs situation, I think she needs some help.

The bank doesn't want her home, they wanted the mortgage payments which they will now not receive from her, so they are losing out too. But the bank has procedures in place and professionals on call to handle these situations. They will sell the house for her at market rate and she will receive any equity that is rightfully hers (there are laws in place to protect her). Even if there is no equity, there are programs which will offer her "cash for keys". With "cash for keys", if she leaves the house broom clean with no damage, the bank will cut her a check as a thank you ($2000 is typical).

If she works with the bank and takes the help they will offer, she can focus her energy on finding a new place to live and getting her financial life back in order, which she will have to do regardless.

I hope she can move on from this quickly .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:22 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
You can post for free on craigslist: ft myers / SW florida classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 07-23-2007, 07:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
What website can my MIL go on?
Where can she list it?

She is in foreclosure now. She paid for it to be listed on MLS, but it showed up nowhere, unless she sent me a link.

It's a very low-end property in Fort Myers. It should sell. It is in a good neighborhood.

I have no idea where to place it.

I know that some people have been successful in selling their houses. Where should she place it?
What website? She's in foreclosure.
I tried to post and came out messed up try iggyshouse.com they are free mls & realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida