U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:41 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,181,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
That's what I was thinking originally...so what areas could I fly it where it will be as little problem as possible? It's obviously not going to work in Orlando, Miami, Fort Myers, st pete, etc.
I mean, pretty much every area outside of the large cities. You'll see it in the fringes of Tampa and at the Confederate memorial downtown, but not too many other places. You'll see it in historical towns like St. Augustine. I mean, the flag's part of the Pensacola city shield.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 16,027,047 times
I couldn't find a current Penscaola flag/shield, but can say that they removed the Confederate battle flag from any of the 'Five Flags' logos and flag arrangements in favor of the stars and bars a few years back after long discussion from both black and white residents of the area.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM

91 posts, read 438,634 times
out of curiosity,why would you want to display something that you know can and will bring hurt and pain to others ? i enjoy eating all kinds of sweets but i would not eat them in front of diabetics.there are times i think a good swear word is in order to prove my point but i would not do it in front of church people.i would love to brag about my small size and how good i feel after this last diet but i would never in a room full of large people.they say never kick a man when he is down but i don't know of a better time than then but........ you just don't do it.they say you should never put your hands on another person howeverthere are times when you should smack the pooo out of someone but you just don't do it. you say it is to show southern pride. southern pride in what ??? what makes the country different now than back then ???? slavery. aside from that, we still have the same amount of states down there with the same state names.our country was struggling to make it and we used free labor or should i say forced ie; slave labor. so what are you proud of back then that is not here now ????? why not fly the flag america has now as opposed to then unless there is something you think they had back then that you would really be proud of to have today.if you had people who died in the attack on the world trade center in new york, would you mind muslims living down the street from you flying their flag ? if you were jewish ,would you mind people flying a flag with a swastica near you ? the point is, if it brings hurt and pain along with memories of families being torn apart. some hung from trees till dead, some raped at will,some hands or feet cut off because they tried to run.so many evils i can't begin to say,why oh why would you want to do this ........unless there is something that flag stood for back then that you miss and wish would return. remember racism is more than words, it is also actions.yes, in america you can be as racist as you please but why oh why would you want too.you reap what you sow.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM

91 posts, read 438,634 times
i do not mean all muslims are bad but it is insinsitive to build a masque so close to where the trade center once stood.yes in america you can but why would you want to knowing the hurt and pain that would go with it unless that is your goal.it wouldn't heal feelings.it would only hurt.if the people of new york are saying it will cause pain why, would they keep saying it is there right unless,they do not care about their pain or they want to remind the people of new york of that pain ???? same with that confederate flagg. do you not care about that pain or do you want to remind them of that pain ??????

Old 02-23-2011, 04:13 PM

5,311 posts, read 8,121,634 times
Quote:
I've seen it numerous times in country areas. And I've seen plenty others with black people in their family fly it so I don't know exactly what it means. I've also met some latinos who fly the flag but I guess that just means they're being country.
I guess it is possible that there are people around who are so ignorant of history that they now associate the flag as being only "country", and, if you say something that ignorant over and over again, people will adopt the new meaning and it will become the reality. Apparently it is already happening and it has become a benign symbol for some. Personally, I think it is better to provide those people the truth about the flag and what it denotes. It sounds like most would be shocked to learn that there's an entirely different meaning to the symbol. I don't like political correctness but I do believe in mutual respect.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:17 PM

4,337 posts, read 6,025,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't mean to stir up a hornets nest but I have always personally viewed the confederate flag as a symbol of hatred, bigotry, ignorance, religious and racial intolerance, and in-your-face obnoxiousness. I know there are those who say that is not always the case and that it is also a symbol of pride and independence but, in every case where I've had the conversation, the person who professed the latter view also turned out to demonstrate traits of the former. Personally, it is as offensive a symbol to me as a nazi swastika. I honestly don't buy the southern pride angle. I see it as code.
I agree and the fact that this question even gets asked on the Florida boards makes me buoyant with glee that I've left and gone back to where sanity prevails.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,480,207 times
Quote:
I've seen it numerous times in country areas. And I've seen plenty others with black people in their family fly it so I don't know exactly what it means.
Since you "don't know exactly what it means"...you probably shouldn't fly it. I highly doubt any latinos or blacks are flying the confederate flag.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:22 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking originally...so what areas could I fly it where it will be as little problem as possible? It's obviously not going to work in Orlando, Miami, Fort Myers, st pete, etc.
I have seen people flying it in all those areas and I don't see you having any problem at all.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Naz!s enslaved people as did the south, you boast of treason, you take what you get
The north brought the slaves in, profited off their sale, owned them as well. A good portion of the north's infrastructure was built off the salve trade.
There was also no treason since secession was a right guaranteed.

From the Declaration of Independence

"That these united colonies are, and of right ought to be free and independent states; that they are absolved of all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as free and independent states, they have full power to levy war, conclude peace, contract alliances, establish commerce, and to do all other acts and things which independent states may of right do."

The Articles of Confederation in 1781 did prohibit secession

“Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every power, jurisdiction, and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.” The Article also prohibited the secession of any member state (“the union shall be perpetual,” Article XIII) unless all of the states agreed to dissolve the Articles."

But 6 years later The Articles of Confederation were replaced with The U.S. Constitution which did not include a clause for a "Perpetual Union" nor any restriction on secession.

In 1814 The Federalist Party held a secession convention in New England.
There were also 2 other threats of secession by New England.

After the Civil War, Jefferson Davis, the President of the Confederacy, was arrested for treason. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court told President Johnson that if Davis was tried for treason that the U.S. would lose because there was nothing in the Constitution that forbids secession.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:15 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,210,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewater Homes View Post
Since you "don't know exactly what it means"...you probably shouldn't fly it. I highly doubt any latinos or blacks are flying the confederate flag.

And???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or