Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times

Advertisements

FLA17, it's a free country and no one is saying you can't or shouldn't fly the flag if you want to, despite the insinuation above. But, do so with the knowledge that the symbol, however positive to you, will be extremely negative to many and, as was the case with the Sarasota shooting, it has the potential to be violently provocative. I looked up the news story and the kid who was shot was walking around with a large confederate flag outside a movie theater one night in downtown Sarasota. I know, myself, that the theater there regularly had a pretty good racial mix at that time so I don't think it is unfair to conclude that the teen who was shot went there to be provocative. Although he may not have wanted to actually fight or cause trouble, he had to have known that he was going to get a rise out of someone there. It's hard for me to imagine that anyone, however young, could be stupid enough to not realize there was that potential from his actions. I am not suggesting he had it coming or anything of the sort. I am saying that a responsible person takes into consideration as much information as they can before making a decision that they know will affect others, too. Just because you have the right, doesn't always mean that you are in the right. In the end, to answer your question, I really don't think you will be at risk for showing the flag. It's how you behave that will determine how others interact with you.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't mean to stir up a hornets nest but I have always personally viewed the confederate flag as a symbol of hatred, bigotry, ignorance, religious and racial intolerance, and in-your-face obnoxiousness. I know there are those who say that is not always the case and that it is also a symbol of pride and independence but, in every case where I've had the conversation, the person who professed the latter view also turned out to demonstrate traits of the former. Personally, it is as offensive a symbol to me as a nazi swastika. I honestly don't buy the southern pride angle. I see it as code.
Whadda ya know, we agree on something

OP, I wouldn't fly it, it's a gross symbol of a horrible time in our history.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
OP, no HOA will go for it, so I would say that you are correct in your assumption that you will get harassed for putting it up. Have a nice day & remember that the current US flag shows American pride which includes southern, so I'd recommend flying that one prominently.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
OP, no HOA will go for it, so I would say that you are correct in your assumption that you will get harassed for putting it up. Have a nice day & remember that the current US flag shows American pride which includes southern, so I'd recommend flying that one prominently.
If Confederate flags were banned then ALL flags should be banned, the ACLU would have a field day over that one. The American flag could be considered offensive to Native Americans. You can't pick and choose which group you don't want to offend.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Exactly. Flag discussions seem to bring about an Occam's Razor-type scenario. Does the Confederate flag mean slavery and racism, or just pride in the South?
I've come to feel that if the 'Heritage Not Hate' crowd really meant it, they'd go with the stars and bars flag instead because it's a perfectly nice reflection of Confederate heritage that doesn't have the modern racism connotations that the battle flag does.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:16 PM

716 posts, read 1,237,324 times
Quote:
I don't mean to stir up a hornets nest but I have always personally viewed the confederate flag as a symbol of hatred, bigotry, ignorance, religious and racial intolerance, and in-your-face obnoxiousness. I know there are those who say that is not always the case and that it is also a symbol of pride and independence but, in every case where I've had the conversation, the person who professed the latter view also turned out to demonstrate traits of the former. Personally, it is as offensive a symbol to me as a nazi swastika. I honestly don't buy the southern pride angle. I see it as code.
Well judging by the fact that I've seen more than a few white women who alawys flaunt the flag that have black kids I don't see how it could have much to do with race for the vast majority of people that fly it.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:22 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,740,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Well judging by the fact that I've seen more than a few white women who alawys flaunt the flag that have black kids I don't see how it could have much to do with race for the vast majority of people that fly it.
That's interesting to me. I have never seen that and would consider it pretty surprising. I have an open mind. If the flag no longer has that connotation then fine. Maybe I have to catch up to the times. :-)

Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
To the OP - you can see by just the few responses here that if you display a Confederate flag you may put yourself at risk.

With that, I am outta this thread!
That's what I was thinking originally...so what areas could I fly it where it will be as little problem as possible? It's obviously not going to work in Orlando, Miami, Fort Myers, st pete, etc.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Default I wouldn't do it....

We live in a society that has members who are easily offended by simple displays of pride, allegiance, and/or symbols. It takes little to evoke anger, and a subsequent reaction of hostility.... sometimes it's directed at you personally, and sometimes "revenge" can take various forms (eg vandalism). A confederate flag on display is almost an open invitation to interpretation of your motives in a sometimes over reactive and confrontational manner. There are too many crazies in the world without indirectly inviting them to "visit you".

Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That's interesting to me. I have never seen that and would consider it pretty surprising. I have an open mind. If the flag no longer has that connotation then fine. Maybe I have to catch up to the times. :-)
I've seen it numerous times in country areas. And I've seen plenty others with black people in their family fly it so I don't know exactly what it means. I've also met some latinos who fly the flag but I guess that just means they're being country.

Last edited by FLA17; 02-23-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida