Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I have seen people flying it in all those areas and I don't see you having any problem at all.

Agreed. I dont know about Miami, but you will absolutely see it in Tampa/St Pete, Orlando and Ft. Myers.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Has more to do with the area you are in. I see a lot more of them in areas that have a less educated population with very little diversity. Which is about right if you ask me.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 PM

13,377 posts, read 7,685,557 times
I used to have one on my truck. I never had any problems. I don't know as much about other parts of Florida, but the battle flag is everywhere in Daytona.

I saw more battle flags growing up in Florida than I see now in Alabama, which might surprise some people.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,912,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If Confederate flags were banned then ALL flags should be banned, the ACLU would have a field day over that one. The American flag could be considered offensive to Native Americans. You can't pick and choose which group you don't want to offend.
Then maybe the ACLU ***MOD CUT*** should keep up with laws passed that prevent HOA's from prohibiting the American Flag, but not the Confederate or any other.

Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I guess they really can "pick and choose" and long as they are picking the American Flag and rejecting the Confederate.

Last edited by faithfulFrank; 02-24-2011 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 AM

716 posts, read 1,230,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I guess it is possible that there are people around who are so ignorant of history that they now associate the flag as being only "country", and, if you say something that ignorant over and over again, people will adopt the new meaning and it will become the reality. Apparently it is already happening and it has become a benign symbol for some. Personally, I think it is better to provide those people the truth about the flag and what it denotes. It sounds like most would be shocked to learn that there's an entirely different meaning to the symbol. I don't like political correctness but I do believe in mutual respect.
Well seeing as how young white people(especially young southern whites/the type I see repping the flag) are about as afraid to be seen as racist as anyone in the world I would guess that it just means being country to them.

Last edited by FLA17; 02-24-2011 at 12:57 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 AM

716 posts, read 1,230,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Agreed. I dont know about Miami, but you will absolutely see it in Tampa/St Pete, Orlando and Ft. Myers.

Which areas of those cities have you seen it? I don't know anyone even remotely country in those places. Actually I've seen it in the san carlos park area and north fort myers but that's about it.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,493,132 times
I think his thread has just about run it's course.
If anyone has anything intelligent and non-racial to post about the subject, feel free to do so.......it will be closed soon.

Frank

Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,263,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I couldn't find a current Penscaola flag/shield, but can say that they removed the Confederate battle flag from any of the 'Five Flags' logos and flag arrangements in favor of the stars and bars a few years back after long discussion from both black and white residents of the area.
But that is still the Confederate flag, and a more official one at that. I saw plenty of the Naval Jacks flying around in some of the historical areas, but they were just that: enhancing the historic quarter.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,915 times
The Confederate Flag was a symbol for the Confederate Army. This Army was against freeing slaves. This time in history and flag should be something we don't hear or see much about (except in education settings) because it should be embarressing and looked back on as a tragedy that our fathers fathers fathers fathers ever fought for keeping blacks enslaved like property. Beating them, raping them, dehumanizing them, and even killing them sans guilt.

I think if this would have happened maybe in another country, or another time, the cities whose flags have pieces of the confederate flag would have been asked to change/update their flags.

The swastika used to be a symbol for a now de-funct political party, but you won't see any Germans displaying it. Even young Germans today are openly ashamed of the acts of the Nazis.

Why aren't Southerners like that too? A little less pride never hurt anyone.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,263,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I think if this would have happened maybe in another country, or another time, the cities whose flags have pieces of the confederate flag would have been asked to change/update their flags.

The swastika used to be a symbol for a now de-funct political party, but you won't see any Germans displaying it. Even young Germans today are openly ashamed of the acts of the Nazis.

Why aren't Southerners like that too? A little less pride never hurt anyone.
Yeah, but the United States isn't like a lot of countries. I mean, Mississippi has a large black population and its state flag features the Battle Flag very prominently, yet it has survived multiple votes on whether it should be replaced. Part of the reason you don't see the Nazi flag in Germany is because it is illegal to have one outside of places like museums. I don't want to live in a place where possessing a silly piece of cloth can get me jail time.

I'll get flamed for this, I know, but the Civil War (or War Between the States, according to some of the various Confederate memorials that I've seen) was more about states' rights than slavery, though slavery certainly fell under that umbrella. The South was tired of more or less getting shafted by the North and revolted. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with that action, but the fact of the matter is that some places are very proud of that historic moment and wish to recognize it.

Look at Texas. That place was once an independent country and, even today, a lot of its population is extremely proud of that fact and they let you know it. That's why the Texas state flag seems to be one of the most commonly-seen state flags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida