Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM

892 posts, read 1,571,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's my position on all of this - but you have to look at The Netherlands to learn what they've experienced in all of this - notworthy is that HIV has decreased with the legalization. Evidently it has reduced needlesharing drug use.
Here it is again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM

399 posts, read 716,348 times
I know drug addicts will continue to use drugs, but I don't want more drug addicts as well. It just brings down society. It's embarrassing when the President says that marijuana isn't so bad. Sure it's not so bad because more people will be "slaves" not reliant on themselves. Just say no to drugs period.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 PM

116 posts, read 168,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
I know drug addicts will continue to use drugs, but I don't want more drug addicts as well. It just brings down society. It's embarrassing when the President says that marijuana isn't so bad. Sure it's not so bad because more people will be "slaves" not reliant on themselves. Just say no to drugs period.
Why do you hate freedom so much?

Thankfully, the pro-freedom segment of USA society is increasing, so soon marijuana will be fully legal nationwide, while the police state supporters will be put on trial and imprisoned for their treasonous actions and crimes against humanity.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:25 PM

814 posts, read 2,036,655 times
Quote:
so when you or another upstanding member of society goes to the doctor and he prescribes the patient drugs for high blood pressure to keep them from having a stroke they should just say no? What if someone needs to take drugs for a heart condition to keep from having a heart attack. say you have a bad infection and the Doctor prescribes antibiotics to keep the infection from spreading. Say you have an accident and get all busted up need major surgery when you wake up in the recovery room in severe pain. should you just lie there and moan in pain and not take some morphine or percocet for the severe pain. maybe your a guy and getting older and your fishing pole doesn't work like it used to but some good ole drug can give you a new and improved fishing pole thus making the wife and you both happy campers. Drugs are good and help many people to live a long and fulfilling happy life. All drugs have side effects but the pro's outweigh the con's that's why the Doc prescribes and the Feds allow certain drugs to be legally available. The point being the medical benefits of marijuana far outweigh the negatives. It's not marihuana that makes people "slaves" and not reliant on themselves. that is a personal choice. That's like saying guns kill people not the finger behind the trigger. There always has and always will be drug addicts that is a fact. legalizing a naturally growing weed may create more drug addicts but it will also certainly reduce the number of people locked up saving the government, themselves and myself money. When marihuana becomes legally available I suspect it will also reduce those addicted to much more detrimental painkiller drugs like Oxycontin or psychoactive drugs for depression and anxiety like Xanax. Both of which can kill you during the physical withdraw. Big pharmaceuticals companies don't want to see that happen so they have lobbied against legalizing marihuana. Society will always bring itself up or down but blaming it on legalizing a natural growing plant is a sorry excuse. I have observed friends, family, total strangers and myself at different points in time under the influence of legal, prescription and illicit drugs. I have seen and experienced firsthand the affects of drugs like Meth, LSD, Cocaine, Xanax, Percocet, Alcohol and Marihuana. I have experienced how these drugs will impair the functions of a persons mind and their ability to cope with life. I would consider a "pothead" the least detrimental to society. From personal experience the gateway drug argument is also a sorry excuse. Just because some lawmakers a longtime ago arbitrarily decided marihuana is bad for you and should be illegal doesn't make it correct choice or the right decision. I do like the reference to Nancy Reagan's failed taxpayer funded drug campaign "Just Say No"

Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,055,087 times
At this point the anti legalize crowd is grasping at straws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
No, I've completely thought it out over the last 40 years as to the positives and the negatives and I’m going with the notion that the positives outweigh the negatives. NO WHERE in ANY study, or even a comment blog, other than this thread, have I read of any reduction in needle use or HIV infection rates related to cannabis law reform or legalization. Nor does anyone I've ever read or talked to cite that as a benefit of legalization. There are lots of benefits to legalization, but I've never heard that as one of them.

If there is any, point me in that direction, I'd like to read about it.

So, while you're at it, also please expound on how you came to the conclusion that illicit drug dealers OFTEN also sell injectable drugs, and that therefore when you show up at the dealers location, the mere fact that they offer it means you or others have to buy it.

I know there are studies, such as the Rand study, which said that cannabis itself is not a gateway drug, but the fact that users are exposed to the availability of other illegal drugs by their dealers COULD create a gateway situation, but I don't buy it.

There is a big leap from smoking cannabis or eating it to progressing to sticking a needle in your arm. There are also dealers that trade strictly in cannabis and that's it. It is a big leap of faith to think that just because you have the opportunity to purchase something stronger (and more addictive) than cannabis, that you would do so.

Think about it from your own perspective, if heroin were made legal today, would you go out and buy some? I don't think so. I know I wouldn't, so at least anecdotally the reduction in needle use theory doesn't hold up.

Now if you want to talk about a therapy program that uses cannabis as a means to withdraw an addict off of herion or coke by substituting cannabis for those drugs, thereby reducing needle use, that's a different conversation.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-29-2014, 03:15 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,289,685 times
Quote:
agree - the degradation of our society is depressing......but what are the alternatives? Give up your citizenship and move to a country not going to pot?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM

116 posts, read 168,665 times
Quote:
agree - the degradation of our society is depressing......but what are the alternatives? Give up your citizenship and move to a country not going to pot?
It is horrible to see that you're equating an increase in freedom with the destruction of society, but what is funny is that this stupid and foolish war on drugs that you enjoy so much, is actually what is destroying the lives of some many people, not just in the USA mind you, but around the world.

If you are against the legalization of marijuana, what you are really saying is that you hate freedom and need the government to control every aspect of an individual's life.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,289,685 times
Sounds like you're against laws restricting freedom - no drug laws (heroin, cocaine), no traffic laws (speed limits), no maritial laws (adults marrying minors, men having multiple wives). Please God help us all.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,265,897 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're against laws restricting freedom - no drug laws (heroin, cocaine), no traffic laws (speed limits), no maritial laws (adults marrying minors, men having multiple wives). Please God help us all.
You do see where this is going BucFan? They only want laws open that pertains to them personally but want laws that helps save their butts in the time of need.

They want freedom to do whatever THEY want and dislike any laws that restricts THEM from doing things that actually can harm others in many cases. But, they love laws that impose stuff they do not stand for on others.

It is a way one street for many social agenda types who want to change America and the way we do things. Most is for their own personal gain.

They usually are always on the wrong side of right.

Compare this same issue with gay marriage, they are ramming down our throats because THEY want to it done personally even knowing it is not morally right.

Many gays are atheist only because they know it is wrong and dont want to feel bad for doing something they know is not right.

Same thing here, they want freedoms on one hand and want protection of laws on the other and they want to pick and choose which one applies.

Over the last several years I began seeing the demise of once a great family oriented, work hard, be responsible for yourself American now becoming a waste land of non traditional families, 54% dont want to work and expect the rest of us to pay their way and dont want to earn their own keep.

Sad to this what our parents, grandparents and great grandparents built and left us falling apart because we have allowed the weak to shove this crap down our throats way too much.

Look around, families is at the top of the list for the demise of America as we know it. Our families of the past are not their same for now and their future. The traditional family with those same values made this nation great, now these people want no part of it.

Same as the poster here who said what is wrong with smoking weed in front of your kids. Are you kidding me? What a lousy sorry butted parent. No wonder kids are turning out to be losers just like their parents.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 PM

814 posts, read 2,036,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
You do see where this is going BucFan? They only want laws open that pertains to them personally but want laws that helps save their butts in the time of need.

They want freedom to do whatever THEY want and dislike any laws that restricts THEM from doing things that actually can harm others in many cases. But, they love laws that impose stuff they do not stand for on others.

It is a way one street for many social agenda types who want to change America and the way we do things. Most is for their own personal gain.

They usually are always on the wrong side of right.

Compare this same issue with gay marriage, they are ramming down our throats because THEY want to it done personally even knowing it is not morally right.

Many gays are atheist only because they know it is wrong and dont want to feel bad for doing something they know is not right.

Same thing here, they want freedoms on one hand and want protection of laws on the other and they want to pick and choose which one applies.

Over the last several years I began seeing the demise of once a great family oriented, work hard, be responsible for yourself American now becoming a waste land of non traditional families, 54% dont want to work and expect the rest of us to pay their way and dont want to earn their own keep.

Sad to this what our parents, grandparents and great grandparents built and left us falling apart because we have allowed the weak to shove this crap down our throats way too much.

Look around, families is at the top of the list for the demise of America as we know it. Our families of the past are not their same for now and their future. The traditional family with those same values made this nation great, now these people want no part of it.

Same as the poster here who said what is wrong with smoking weed in front of your kids. Are you kidding me? What a lousy sorry butted parent. No wonder kids are turning out to be losers just like their parents.
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida