U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,113,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Thanks so much for letting us know...Thats so scary, I had no idea about the oysters either..

You got to see this one:
YouTube - 2006 Oyster Bay Oyster Fest
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,774,985 times
Default chicken kills more people than Oysters

cook'em if your worried... and remembr if they don't open after cooking, don't eat'em... they were dead already.

Most Oysters are farm raised these days, and water quaility is monitered.
Fried Oysters are great, as well as other shell fish. I prefer raw, actually Oysters Rockefeller are my favorite.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:21 AM

3,258 posts, read 5,666,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida1 View Post
I'm confused. The article says it plagues Gulf Coast states. Yet, the guy in the article contracted it while vacationing on the east coast (the article I'm referring to was on news-press.com). Is it everywhere?
I know when I was pregnant, I was reading up the different types of seafood to avoid. One thing it said is to avoid blue crabs, but it said mainly the ones from the gulf waters.

I have heard Louisiana is pretty bad for that, and they have been for decades, not just since Katrina hit. We lived there when I was young and my mom said she ate tons of seafood. My sister has always been kinda slow in school, she was always small for her age, and she has REALLY had eyes. All this before all the hype about mercury in seafood. There is just so much water anway with Lake Ponciatrain and the ocean as well plus all the swamp lands which harbor who knows what. So when it floods, all of those get mixed with sewer and

Old 07-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Lightbulb The Extent of Foodborne Illness in America

According to the best available estimates by public health and food safety experts, millions of illnesses and thousands of deaths each year in this country can be traced to contaminated food. The following describes the scope of the problem:

* The General Accounting Office (GAO), in a May 1996 report, stated that there are between 6.5 million and 81 million cases of foodborne illness a year. In 1994, CAST estimated that 6.5 million to 33 million cases of foodborne illness occur in the U.S. every year. The wide range in cases of foodborne illness is due to the uncertainty about the number that go unreported.

* The National Center for Health Statistics estimates the number of deaths per year from foodborne illness to be 9,100.

* While the likelihood of serious complications is unknown, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) estimates that about 2 to 3 percent of all foodborne illness cases lead to secondary long-term illnesses. For example, E. coli O157:H7 can cause kidney failure in young children and infants; Salmonella can lead to reactive arthritis and serious infections; Listeria can cause meningitis and stillbirths; and Campylobacter may be the most common precipitating factor for Guillain-Barre syndrome.

* Since 1982, E. coli O157:H7 has emerged as an important cause of foodborne illness. Because many laboratories do not routinely test for it, the actual number of illnesses caused by E. coli O157:H7 is unknown, but CDC estimates this pathogen causes approximately 21,000 illnesses annually.

* CDC estimates that between 2 and 4 million illnesses occur each year in the U.S. from the more than 2,000 strains of Salmonella.

* According to CDC, Campylobacter is the most common bacterial cause of diarrhea in the U.S., resulting in 1 to 6 million illnesses each year.

* Each year, an estimated 1,850 persons become seriously ill from Listeria monocytogenes. The disease primarily affects pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:48 PM

609 posts, read 2,621,871 times
I thought seafood was healthy so I ate it almost every day. I got so sick from mercury I almost died. I live 100 yards from the ocean and will never eat any seafood again.

Also, no one mentioned cigartera in fish.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I thought seafood was healthy so I ate it almost every day. I got so sick from mercury I almost died. I live 100 yards from the ocean and will never eat any seafood again.

Also, no one mentioned cigartera in fish.

Ciguatera is a foodborne illness poisoning in humans caused by eating marine species whose flesh is contaminated with a toxin known as ciguatoxin, which is present in many micro-organisms (particularly, the micro-algae Gambierdiscus toxicus) living in tropical waters. Like many naturally and artificially occurring toxins, ciguatoxin accumulates in lower-level organisms, resulting in higher concentration of the toxin at higher levels of the food chain, an example of biomagnification. Predator species near the top of the food chain in tropical waters, such as barracuda, moray eel, parrotfish, grouper and amberjack, are most likely to cause ciguatera poisoning, although many other species have been found to cause occasional outbreaks of ciguatera. Ciguatoxin is very heat-resistant, so ciguatoxin-laden fish cannot be detoxified by cooking.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Lightbulb Volusia Recommends No Swimming In Freshwater Lakes

The Volusia County Health Department is advising the public against swimming in freshwater lakes and ponds due to the threat posed by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

Naegleria is a microscopic amoeba most commonly found in the upper layer of sediment in the bottom of lakes and ponds with mud floors. The threat of infection, although rare, increases during the summer months when the water temperature exceeds 80 degrees.

"The infection occurs when the amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain and spinal cord while the person is swimming underwater or diving," said Chip Schelble, the Volusia County Health Department Environmental Supervisor.

Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance and bodily control, seizures and hallucinations.

Naegleria fowleri infection is also called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM). Generally, if not diagnosed within 48 hours, the amoebas invade the brain and death usually occurs within a week to 10 days. This infection cannot be spread from person to person or contracted from a properly maintained swimming pool.

The following precautions are advised by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to decrease the possibility of infection:

* Avoid swimming in unapproved bathing places, especially lakes and ponds when the water temperature exceeds 80 degrees.
* Wear nose clips when swimming in fresh water.
* Do not swim in warm, stagnant, fresh water, such as ponds and storm water retention areas.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 PM

Question Fecal Bacteria and Human Viruses Found in Upper Florida Keys

07/24/2007

Results released today from a three-year study funded by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reveal that common fecal indicator bacteria and human viruses are present in corals and ground water in the Upper Florida Keys. Researchers from the University of Georgia’s Department of Environmental Health Science and the U.S. Geological Survey sampled surface water, ground water and corals from five sites from the Port Largo Canal to Molasses Reef.

Fecal bacteria, which are not pathogens themselves, serve as surrogate indicators for other disease-causing microbes found in sewage. Levels of fecal bacteria detected in surface waters declined with distance from shore, but tended to be higher on the surface of corals compared to surrounding water. High levels of fecal indicator bacteria from canals were shown to move into the near shore environment with outgoing tides. The detection of these bacteria near shore suggests that land-based sources of sewage pollution, like cesspits and septic systems, may be significant contributors.

Genetic material from intestinal viruses, which can cause disease and are spread through infected human feces and urine, were found throughout the sampled area, including ground water six miles offshore. The test used to identify intestinal viruses is not designed to determine whether the viruses are alive or dead. Viruses were detected more frequently during rainfall in the summer months, when they were most likely to be found in ground water. This suggests that sewage-contaminated ground water is reaching the offshore reefs of the Florida Keys.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:05 PM

A doctor was addressing a large audience in Florida,

" The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here years ago.

Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG (monosodium glutamate). High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of us realises the long term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water.

But there is one thing that is the most dangerous of all, and we all have, or will eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?"

After several seconds of quiet, a 75-year-old-man in the front row raised his hand and softly said,

" The Wedding Cake"

Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 PM

14,445 posts, read 15,457,430 times
Lightbulb informaive post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Sewage not only harms fish, but humans as well. The release of raw sewage or poorly treatedFloating lavatory sewage can transmit waterborne diseases, such as typhoid, cholera, gastroenteritis, bacillary dysentery, and hepatitis through microorganisms from the human digestion system. People may also contract diseases by eating shellfish like scallops or oysters. Shellfish are filter feeders that ingest tiny food particles from the water through their gills, which goes directly to their stomachs. If sewage is present in the water, then the shellfish also ingest it. People then ingest the shellfish and can be tainted with fecal contaminants and disease.

Always take a good look at oysters http://www.funfresh.com/oysters2.jpg (broken link)

Your odds get worse, much worse, if you eat raw oysters or clams and
you suffer from liver disease, or diabetes, or certain gastric disorders, or
inflammatory bowel disease, or cancer, or an abnormal iron metabolism,
or any illness compromising your immune system (including AIDS), or
if you have a history of steroid use (for asthma or arthritis), or if you are
an alcoholic. Any of these conditions place you at a high risk for infection,
and a bad oyster or clam can kill you within two days. Forty percent of
Vibrio vulnificus infections from raw oyster consumption are fatal.

wow -40%...thats a very high percentage- is that a problem even if oysters are cooked? Some people may also have liver problems and not exhibit symptoms, unless they get tested for all four types of hepatitis- a friend of mine had Hep C for 5 years before the dr. diagnosed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida