Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,770 times

Advertisements

First, thanks for reading. I've been an unregistered lurker at these forums off an on for awhile now, but finally registered because I'm strongly considering a move to Florida, but naturally I have concerns. Here's my situation...

I currently live in Metro Detroit, and here, like pretty much the rest of the midwest, the job market is absolutely terrible. I graduated from the University of Michigan (usually either the 2nd or 3rd best public university in the country) last year, and I *still* don't have a job to show for it. I haven't worked a day in almost a year, and I've since been fighting off depression and trying to stay busy by becoming a gym rat and information fiend. I have great previous internship experience with the Detroit Tigers baseball team in their Marketing Department (one summer), as well as extensive real estate/property management experience (two summers), plus I speak decent Japanese.

I have a lot of family in Central Florida (Palatka and Daytona Beach), and am considering a move to the state in hopes of being in a better job market while still having family support. I'm a city guy, so I'm looking at J-ville and Orlando in particular, but wouldn't mind living in Gainesville or Daytona Beach, either.

From what I've been reading here, it seems like trying to land a job before moving to FL is next to hopeless, because there's already so many Floridians in need of jobs. Also because of my difficulty in the job hunt up here, I'm scared that if I move down just to find no jobs, I'll be addling myself with more debt.

Is the job market safe enough to move down first, then get a job later? I'm looking toward getting hired into a Marketing, Advertising, or PR firm. Which city in northern/central Florida might be strong in those areas? How's temp work? I'm registered with about a million temp agencies here in Michigan, and they're about as useful as binoculars to a blind man. Assuming that I came down September 1st, put in regular time daily toward finding a job (something simple at first, then looking for something better later, perhaps?), could I find work within 2 weeks to a month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:58 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
In general terms, the issue in Florida is not finding a job - the unemployment rate is even below the national rate, except maybe recently now that the construction industry is in recession - the problem is landing a job that pays enough to cover living expenses for an average family.

Unfortunately, your Japanese is next to useless in Florida. I have not noticed any significant Japanese presence. Can anyone testify to the contrary?

Have you researched San Francisco?

If you can count on family support, you can come down and look for a job, if not, it is much better to land a job first.

Hopefully other posters will provide more detailed responses on the job market in the areas where you have most experience.

You may also consider initiating two separate threads in the Orlando and Jacksonville sub-forums, respectively.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:59 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsande View Post
First, thanks for reading. I've been an unregistered lurker at these forums off an on for awhile now, but finally registered because I'm strongly considering a move to Florida, but naturally I have concerns. Here's my situation...

I currently live in Metro Detroit, and here, like pretty much the rest of the midwest, the job market is absolutely terrible. I graduated from the University of Michigan (usually either the 2nd or 3rd best public university in the country) last year, and I *still* don't have a job to show for it. I haven't worked a day in almost a year, and I've since been fighting off depression and trying to stay busy by becoming a gym rat and information fiend. I have great previous internship experience with the Detroit Tigers baseball team in their Marketing Department (one summer), as well as extensive real estate/property management experience (two summers), plus I speak decent Japanese.

I have a lot of family in Central Florida (Palatka and Daytona Beach), and am considering a move to the state in hopes of being in a better job market while still having family support. I'm a city guy, so I'm looking at J-ville and Orlando in particular, but wouldn't mind living in Gainesville or Daytona Beach, either.

From what I've been reading here, it seems like trying to land a job before moving to FL is next to hopeless, because there's already so many Floridians in need of jobs. Also because of my difficulty in the job hunt up here, I'm scared that if I move down just to find no jobs, I'll be addling myself with more debt.

Is the job market safe enough to move down first, then get a job later? I'm looking toward getting hired into a Marketing, Advertising, or PR firm. Which city in northern/central Florida might be strong in those areas? How's temp work? I'm registered with about a million temp agencies here in Michigan, and they're about as useful as binoculars to a blind man. Assuming that I came down September 1st, put in regular time daily toward finding a job (something simple at first, then looking for something better later, perhaps?), could I find work within 2 weeks to a month?
3. Things.

1. Lean towards Orlando for that career path. So. Fla has even more work in your path, but talk about making a risk!
2. Temp work is PLENTY!!!! They are all over the place and usually have plenty of work.
3. Do NOT move here without a job. Round it up first. The problem is not the lack of employment, but the lack of GOOD employment. Wages here tend to be pitiful compared to the cost of living. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country, but this is a very service oriented economy. The pay is just plain WEAK!

So to answer your question, do NOT move down here without a job. With the high cost of living in Central Florida (where you are more likely to get PR type work), you could end up really getting stranded. Round up a job, and then come here. Jacksonville is cheaper, but there is not as much work in your path.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. To answer your question Bale, I haven't researched San Fransisco, but I'm considering applying to school there (I'm going back to school as of Fall 2008). My main reasons for choosing Florida as opposed to somewhere else are 1. Close proximity to family, 2. General Familiarity (from visiting family over many years), 3. No harsh winters.

I feel like I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place, then. Conducting a job search for an out of state job is next to impossible for someone such as myself who's looking for entry level work. I've never heard of anyone with the exception of engineers who manage to get hired somewhere before actually relocating. My expectation for being able to do that is not great at all. People just don't take out-of-state resumes seriously, plain and simple. Especially with the national job market being as poor as it is.

My cousin is a manager at a Wal-Mart, and he says that he can almost certainly get me a general retail position. I'll have to swallow my pride and forget the fact that I seemingly wasted the last 5 years of my life at school, but I supposed that chipping away at my credit card debt with a menial job is better than my situation. What I'm thinking is that I could do that while at the same time continue to look for something better.

I understand that the real estate and housing markets are pretty competitive in Florida. Maybe that would be another area to focus a job search since I have experience in that area also.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
The real estate market is in recession in Florida.

If your family members can host you, even for six months, then take whatever job you can find, pay off your credit card debt - and rip them up, except for maybe one, after you do that -, look for better employment, and go back to school - and for God's sake study something that employers demand like computers or tax accounting or something like that, maybe medical-related in Florida.

The problem with San Francisco is that it is the most expensive city in the US, so if money is an issue, it's probably not the city for you.

If you can land a full-time job, as single person renting you could probably eventually support yourself, establish residency, and pursue a technical course in something useful part time at some state college or university. Make sure there is one close by to where you will be living before you make a final decision.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:12 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsande View Post
Thanks for the replies. To answer your question Bale, I haven't researched San Fransisco, but I'm considering applying to school there (I'm going back to school as of Fall 2008). My main reasons for choosing Florida as opposed to somewhere else are 1. Close proximity to family, 2. General Familiarity (from visiting family over many years), 3. No harsh winters.

I feel like I'm stuck in between a rock and a hard place, then. Conducting a job search for an out of state job is next to impossible for someone such as myself who's looking for entry level work. I've never heard of anyone with the exception of engineers who manage to get hired somewhere before actually relocating. My expectation for being able to do that is not great at all. People just don't take out-of-state resumes seriously, plain and simple. Especially with the national job market being as poor as it is.

My cousin is a manager at a Wal-Mart, and he says that he can almost certainly get me a general retail position. I'll have to swallow my pride and forget the fact that I seemingly wasted the last 5 years of my life at school, but I supposed that chipping away at my credit card debt with a menial job is better than my situation. What I'm thinking is that I could do that while at the same time continue to look for something better.

I understand that the real estate and housing markets are pretty competitive in Florida. Maybe that would be another area to focus a job search since I have experience in that area also.
Property Management jobs are available if you're thinking of that route!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
There are jobs here if you are willing to come down and take whatever you have to, just to take up residency.

You might want to consider coming to Lakeland Florida - great economy here in Polk County, no recession, good cost of living -ideally located between Tampa and Orlando - AND........

IT'S THE SPRING TRAINING GROUND FOR THE DETROIT TIGERS!

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2007, 11:52 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Yes, you can move and find a job when you get here, but it may be just that - a job - something to get you started.

There's no lack of jobs in Jacksonville, so you'd land something here. When I moved here, I hung out at the beach for the first 2 weeks, then spent a week or so job hunting/interviewing, by week 4, I was employed. It wasn't in my field, but at the time, I wanted out of my field, so I was willing to try anything. I've always been able to do Admin work, so I took a pathetically low paying admin job, showed them what I've got, and kept rising up the ladder in the company until I was in a pretty high management position and making a good salary.

It can be done, but sometimes you've got to do what you don't want to do. You have to pay your dues. The early jobs may be lousy and you can barely pay your bills, maybe you even have to work nights and weekends - whatever it may be - you just plow through it and keep your ambition up.

It's not true that there are no jobs in Marketing in Jacksonville - there are plenty.

If it's city life you want, stick with the larger cities - Jax, Tampa and Orlando - you probably won't be happy in Gainesville or Daytona (too small).

Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone, I'm becoming more reassured.

Wow, Riveree, by week 4 hired? That almost makes me dizzy. In my year of joblessness and resume after resume sent, I can't imagine being hired so quickly. I'm actually leaning towards Jacksonville because coming from Detroit I'm not very tolerant of heavy bumper to bumper traffic and J-Ville definitely seems to be lighter on the traffic side. Plus I'm more familiar with it, since before moving to Palatka (yelp), my Florida-based family lived there.

What's a reasonable expectation to be paying monthly for renting a studio/single bedroom apartment not right along, but within reasonable distance to the beach? I would like to cap myself off at 500 even. Is this possible?

Last edited by jonsande; 07-24-2007 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,170,015 times
May be you should have someone professional to review your resume? Sounds like you're beating a dead horse with what you have. How are your interviews? May be you need to brush up on the skills of the interview?

Like it was stated above, finding a job before moving would be a better decision for you, may be while you're visiting here you can look for a job, if something comes up, you'll have something to look forward to and move.
If you have to, Staffing Agencies are all over the place, you can take that while looking for a better opportunity. You apparently don't have experience in your field and that can be tough. However, you have to sell yourself to a potential employer, sometimes, your attitude and desire to do what you want will get you in the doors. Show employer you're motivated and willing, experience will come with time. Everyone started somewhere.

Again, review your resume!!

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida