U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

376 posts, read 799,543 times

Advertisements

Key West is not really known for beaches ~ the few I've seen where all man made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM

26 posts, read 146,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
Key West is not really known for beaches ~ the few I've seen where all man made.

Man made as in not nice? I dont really care if there man made.. Is the water temps in key west pretty high? And whats the water like when it comes to color and clear?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM

26 posts, read 146,519 times
went to siesta key was ok on a scale of 10 couldnt be higher then a 6. The water was nice and sand was great. But stupid gotta walk 1/4mile to get a drink or anything else, smoke free beach which was fine but still kinda stupid. Probably wouldnt go back would rather find a better beach where there is drinks along the beach.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,055,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbigt View Post
Man made as in not nice? I dont really care if there man made.. Is the water temps in key west pretty high? And whats the water like when it comes to color and clear?
The water of the Keys us clear, calm and beautiful, warm all year, surrounded by the Gulf, Florida Straits and Atlantic. But, the sand is imported from the Bahamas, and the beach is pretty small, since palm trees take up all the room. Also, seaweed washes up a lot on the Atlantic side, so the salty seaweed rotting in hot, humid summer weather can create a TERRIBLE smell!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:34 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,175,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbigt View Post
You go to the Keys to go snorkeling and to hit the bars mostly. It is not known for its beaches for swimming etc.

You didn't really say where you were moving just that you were putting off going to the Keys till later, didn't you? Hleps to know where your going to be to pick some beaches. When you say family before they leave, do you mean parents, grandparents, brother or sister and kids etc. It makes a difference as to what kind of beach you want to take them to. If they want to pick up shells I would think Sanibel or shell Island. I personally like the beach at Passe Grille(close to Tampa) Or did you mean Gulf as in the panhandle ? Then Destin is a descent beach.

If someone wants to boogey board or surf than the Gulf isn't the best area to take them too, but my son does go to one area every once in a while when they do get waves..

Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM

91 posts, read 175,083 times
You can always catch a Key West to Ft Myers ferry ride then hope over to Sanibel/Captiva. Another option is to hit up a high speed boat trip to Dry Tortugas. Pretty amazing place if you like remote and quiet.

No doubt in my mind though that Siesta Key is probably one of the best beaches in Florida if you are looking for the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida