U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 PM

153 posts, read 306,443 times

Advertisements

Something seems out of place here ........ Too many hurdles to cross attempting to help someone. I'd feel real leary if it was me. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 11:42 PM

61 posts, read 150,819 times
I am willing to meet anywhere safe . I have given my phone number and email address and mailbox address at ups store. I offered to meet at gas station any local gas station and i have offered to mmet at police station if tgat makes him feel safer. I have no hurdles I'm here I am ready my need is real.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM

61 posts, read 150,819 times
I want to believe he is real and sincere. But it wouldn't be the first time that someone hasn't been. But I have given everything needed to make contact with me and yet no contact has been made with me yet idk. God will carry me through.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:01 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,262,218 times
i've got your contact info. i will get it to you, by mail, but like i said, i'm tied up with things this weekend. sorry.

Last edited by StreetSmarts; 03-30-2014 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Here is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to help people.

This past Monday I come home from picking up my son from a Boy Scout weekend long campout (my only day off in a week). It was @ 2 pm and I thought "Cool, a couple of hours until my wife gets home from work. Time to relax with the kids before making her some dinner."

Ten minutes later the doorbell rings .....

It's a snobby woman from down the street who never says hi, waves or anything. She's standing there crying and needing a ride down to Publix. Her car is there with a flat tire and she will have to walk there if I say no. Her story doesn't seem to make sense, but I'm trying to be a good neighbor so I reluctantly say "OK". We jump into my 4Runner with my kids and off we go.

Once at Publix her car is there with a flat tire, just like she said. I go to get her spare tire but it's also flat - what gives? She then admits that she has no tire for her car, no friends, no relatives, three kids, no money and no options. Classic bait and switch - now I'm kinda pissed! I ask her what was her game plan then as I cant just leave someone with kids sitting by the side of the road.

She first asks me for $170 to buy a tire for her car. I say hell no! She then says that she has located a used tire for her car for $35. I say where is it located at? "Ummmm, 20 miles south." she says. I say OK and off we go again, reminding her that she knew what she was doing all along but I'm trying to be a nice guy.

We make the 40 mile round trip while listening to all of her problems (in front of my children). She's recently divorced, just lost her $80K per year job for the last ten years (she spent $800K?, grrrrr!!!), saved nothing and is having some hard times. While driving she's trying to sell me her Toys R Us gift cards and making hints of "Doing ANYTHING to get some cash" - whatever that may mean but I think I know. I finally get her back to Publix and put the tire on her car.

As I'm getting ready to leave ... guess what ... she's now crying again.

I say whats wrong now? She says she has no food for her kids tonight while sobbing. So off we go again, heading back to our neighborhood. I drop by my house and pick up the leftover food from the Boy Scout campout, a whole chicken from our freezer and some dry goods. We drop it off at her house and again she's trying to sell me the gift cards and hinting at "making some money anyway she can".

I tell her that she needs some help and not my cash. I make it clear that the "doing anything for cash" thing wont happen and that she needs to find a job and do the right thing for her children. I then leave and wish her the best.

The best part? She drives by us the following day, looks at us and pretends that we are not there - totally ignoring us. What a piece of crap she is.

The same day our 35 year old neighbor, who has been on disability for the last three years but has two new cars, asks us for $100 to pay his cell phone bill. Really? "Ummmm, you can go f**k off. Get a job, sell one of your cars or ditch the $100 per month cell phone plan you idiot!". Not happening.

Its unbelievable how some people have no shame, no work ethic and want everyone to be at their financial disposal, while others get up everyday, skip the excuses and work their a$$es off for what they want. Even in our darkest times, we never were a burden to others and never asked anyone for anything.

Last edited by Florida Vince; 03-30-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 08:06 AM

594 posts, read 1,242,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
Here is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to help people.

This past Monday I come home from picking up my son from a Boy Scout weekend long campout (my only day off in a week). It was @ 2 pm and I thought "Cool, a couple of hours until my wife gets home from work. Time to relax with the kids before making her some dinner."

Ten minutes later the doorbell rings .....

It's a snobby woman from down the street who never says hi, waves or anything. She's standing there crying and needing a ride down to Publix. Her car is there with a flat tire and she will have to walk there if I say no. Her story doesn't seem to make sense, but I'm trying to be a good neighbor so I reluctantly say "OK". We all jump into my 4Runner and off we go.

Once at Publix her car is there with a flat tire, just like she said. Her spare tire is also flat - what gives? She then admits that she has no friends, no relatives, three kids, no money and no options. Classic bait and switch - now I'm kinda pissed! I ask her what was the game plan then as I cant just leave someone sitting by the road.

She first asks me for a $170 tire for her car. I say no. She then says that she has located a used tire for her car for $35. I say where is it located at? "Ummmm, 20 miles south." she says. I say OK and off we go again, reminding her that she knew what she was doing all along but I'm trying to be a nice guy.

We all make the 40 mile round trip while listening to all of her problems (in front of my children). She's recently divorced, just lost her $80K per year job for the last ten years (she spent $800K?, grrrrr!!!), saved nothing and is having some hard times. While driving she's trying to sell me her Toys R Us gift cards and making hints of "Doing ANYTHING to get some cash" - whatever that may mean but I think I know. I finally get her back, put the tire on her car ... and guess what ... now she's crying again.

"I have no food for my kids tonight" while sobbing. So off we go again, heading back to our neighborhood. I drop by my house and pick up the leftover food from the Boy Scout campout, a whole chicken from our freezer and some dry goods.

We drop it off at her house and again she's trying to sell me the gift cards and hinting at "making some money anyway she can". I tell her that she needs some help and not my cash. I make it clear that the "doing anything for cash" thing wont happen and that she needs to find a job and do the right thing for her children. I then leave and wish her the best.

The best part? She drives by us the following day, looks at us and pretends that we are not there - totally ignoring us. What a piece of crap she is.

The same day our 35 year old neighbor, who has been on disability for the last three years but has two new cars, asks us for $100 to pay his cell phone bill! Really. "Ummmm, you can go fu#k off. Get a job or sell one of your cars you *******!". Not happening.

Its unbelievable how some people have no shame, no work ethic and want everyone to be at their financial disposal, while others get up everyday, skip the excuses and work their a$$es off for what they want. Even in our darkest times, we never were a burden to others and never asked anyone for anything.
Sounds so typically Floridian, Babylon I tell ya! I am so glad to be gone. I think growing up there made me paranoid. That feeling of always being hustled is maddening.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
Sounds so typically Floridian, Babylon I tell ya! I am so glad to be gone. I think growing up there made me paranoid. That feeling of always being hustled is maddening.
I hear you and have learned my lesson for the year. Lol. I grew up in the mid atlantic (Baltimore area) and personally know that there are just as many hustlers up there as there are down here.

The difference is here they turnover more. I cant focus on them though as they are everywhere trying to hustle everyone. If it wasn't us it would have been someone else. Best to just move on, keep working hard and focus on the positives.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:26 AM

4,825 posts, read 3,480,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfamga View Post
God will carry me through.
Yep, that usually works out. I mean God can't help you win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:10 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,821,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
We make the 40 mile round trip while listening to all of her problems (in front of my children). She's recently divorced, just lost her $80K per year job for the last ten years (she spent $800K?, grrrrr!!!), saved nothing and is having some hard times. While driving she's trying to sell me her Toys R Us gift cards and making hints of "Doing ANYTHING to get some cash" - whatever that may mean but I think I know. I finally get her back to Publix and put the tire on her car.
lol

Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM

People see us doing well for ourselves now but don't realize that we had our tough (I mean really tough) times that we worked through too. Our faith in God helped, but what really pulled us through were our children. We were motivated to do better for them, and our quality of life, happiness and comfort ware secondary to staying strong for them.

We never gave up, gave in or asked anyone for help. We sacrificed a lot and so have our children, and now its time to make it up to them and to each other. We have no reason to filter ourselves or hide our happiness as a family - we earned it by ourselves, the hard way.

Now that we are doing great and enjoying the fruits of our labor, those around us think that we owe them a piece of the action too. Heres one example. People on Facebook get angry with us when I post pictures of our times together as a family, or pictures of our new house during its construction phases. We always hear crap like "You're just bragging" or "Wow, I'm in a crappy rental and you're building a new house. Must be nice ....."

Ummm, yes it is! Don't you remember that we worked hard for years to get here? Why do I now owe YOU something? Didn't WE work hard for years on end? Whats never remembered is while we were working hard and sacrificing they were living above their means and being stupid with their finances. Sorry its caught up with you but there will be no handouts from us.

Some of our "friends" have de-friended us or hinted that they will if we keep posting on FB. Oh well, good bye and good luck! We don't want to be a part of your "poor me", loser mentality anyway. Life moves on.

It really comes down to having a "I'll never be able or worthy of doing better in my life" mentality. If we lived our lives like that we would have never got to where we have.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-28-2014 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: advertising/spam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or