Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,279,394 times

Advertisements

Blame the parents. Most of them are lazy or drug addicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:12 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,279,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
IMHO, our belief that we are entitled to have the big car, the house, the multiple TVs, the laptop AND desktop, the lifetime retirement, the social security, unemployment, medicare and medicaid. That mindset is what our country is all about. Less work for more pay.
THIS...

The current generation growing up and having kids never knew NEED or WANT. They got everything they needed all the time, and spent like they HAD money, even though they were broke, now they want a handout.

Screw that. Let them starve, take their kids away and give them to someone who can afford them, or orphanage their ass.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
what does being a neo-con have to do with wanting a leaner government workforce? Any fiscal conservative would want that.

Btw...

Federal pay ahead of private industry - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-03-04-federal-pay_N.htm - broken link)

Benefits widen public, private workers' pay gap - USATODAY.com

Federal workers earning double their private counterparts - USATODAY.com
Ironic no one seemed to care about our bloated government out of control on all levels that mushroomed during the housing bubble and military buildup post 9/11. So am I reading it right that liberals always spend but try to at least help those in need here at home while conservatives are only conservative with anything not tied to the military industrial complex or subsidies for the oil cartel and then only when they are out of power? Why not just deleverage and starve the beast of every fabric of our society at the same time and cause a real global depression 60 Minutes could do another followup piece on?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:19 PM

258 posts, read 612,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLdyingfast View Post
They are going to show how homeless families in central Florida are an epidemic.
Central Florida is Deliverence, Georgia of 2011.

Good ol Boys, Rednecks, lazy whites, blacks, etc.

Churches every 3 blocks, guns, animal hunting, etc.

I was reared there ... took me 45 years to finally move away.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:41 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
Central Florida is Deliverence, Georgia of 2011.

Good ol Boys, Rednecks, lazy whites, blacks, etc.

Churches every 3 blocks, guns, animal hunting, etc.

I was reared there ... took me 45 years to finally move away.
In your 45 years you must have stayed within a 2 or 3 square mile area the entire time since you obviously have only seen your one little part of Florida.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:30 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,129,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why do people who are already in poverty continue to add more kids to their families, a cycle which has gone unbroken for decades? The acceptance of the term "single mom" is the main reason for the problem of children in poverty.

Stop popping out the kids and arrange your own life before bringing more into the cycle.
Would be interesting to learn about the availability of birth control.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,821,305 times
Saw the one from lastnight too. It was a follow up from the one in March. Sad.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM

I was reared and born in Central Florida 48 years ago ...

Our most successful or well known residents left ... Never to return. Not even to buy a 2nd home ...

Who are they?

1. Rodney Mullen ( now lives in Hermosa Beach Calif.)
2. Tom Petty ( now lives in Malibu Calif. )
3. Famous UF Grads like Emmitt Smith, Steve Spurrier ( Texas and SC )

The only people I know that did something well known and still reside there - 1 or 2 members of the Band Sister Hazel. However, I never considered Sister Hazel a major success ... They are small town rock country band. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:30 PM

Central Florida - Ocala to Lake City ... Flager to Cedar Key.

1. Hot
2. humid
3. Nothing To Do
4. Struggling Familes
5. Rednecks / Good ol Boy Network
6. Fanatical Religious Conservative people
7. Wanna be Liberals who can't afford to live in Berkely
8. Obesity

If UF was not there, G'ville would be a large Waldo.

A lot of Alcoholism there.

I'm glad I was able to leave ...

Old 11-28-2011, 01:09 PM

10,180 posts, read 6,226,409 times
My Grandma had a saying, "There but for the grace of God, go I". She said this whenever we saw homeless people on the streets. I saw 60 minutes Sunday, but didn't watch the first one. I used to work with a developmentally disabled teenager in Naples. He was 17, 150 lbs., non-verbal, and paralized from the neck down. He had to be fed, diapers changed, and moved every few hours to prevent sores from being in the same position.
His father was a contruction worker when housing was booming in Florida. It is went bust, Dad lost his job and eventually the family home. He applied to fast food restaurants, Publix, etc., but nobody hired him; not even Lowes or Home Depot. You would think that those places would love to hire an unemployed construction worker? Nope. When he was lucky, might get a job for a few days as a day laborer. When they lost their house, they lived out of their van. I do not know how they did that with their disabled son (ONLY CHILD). That winter in Naples was cold. His Mom used to really bundle him up when he was brought to school. I suppose she had to with spending the night in the van. Why did they show this in Florida? It was in the 40s that winter in Naples at night. Imagine sleeping in a car in the middle of winter in MINNESOTA? They would freeze to death.
One Thursday, Mom came into school and announced that Friday would be his last day. His Dad had found a construction job in North Dakota and they were leaving Florida on Saturday. Unlike all those other families on 60 minutes, those kids would one day be grown up and on their own. The boy that I worked with would NEVER be on his own. His family would have to support and care for him for the rest of their lives. Very appropriate for an after Thanksgiving "lesson".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida