U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL
1,806 posts, read 2,104,163 times
Reputation: 779
Default Florida Residency?

Here is my situation:

I am currently a resident of NJ. I own properties in NJ, SC and FL. I have been in Naples since 11/1/2010 (5 months). I am retired. I currently have a NJ drivers license. I have one vehicle registered in SC with insurance there. I have one vehicle registered in NJ. My pension would be subject to income tax in NJ or SC, but not FL. There would be no property tax advantage in NJ to losing residency. Declaring residency in FL or SC would significantly cut my property tax in the respective state. Car insurance is the cheapest in SC and most expensive in FL.

The ideal situation would be to obtain FL residency, but register and insure both cars in SC. I can certainly live in FL for 6 months +.

Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
1,131 posts, read 1,678,698 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Here is my situation:

I am currently a resident of NJ. I own properties in NJ, SC and FL. I have been in Naples since 11/1/2010 (5 months). I am retired. I currently have a NJ drivers license. I have one vehicle registered in SC with insurance there. I have one vehicle registered in NJ. My pension would be subject to income tax in NJ or SC, but not FL. There would be no property tax advantage in NJ to losing residency. Declaring residency in FL or SC would significantly cut my property tax in the respective state. Car insurance is the cheapest in SC and most expensive in FL.

The ideal situation would be to obtain FL residency, but register and insure both cars in SC. I can certainly live in FL for 6 months +.

Is this doable?
No, the primary means of the state determining permanent residency is having your car registered in Florida. You must live in Florida for at least 6+ months, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2011, 08:58 PM
912
 
1,329 posts, read 1,329,296 times
Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
No, the primary means of the state determining permanent residency is having your car registered in Florida. You must live in Florida for at least 6+ months, as well.
What if you don't own a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 AM
 
188 posts, read 212,389 times
Reputation: 302
They would like you to register your car in Fla. but I didn't, just do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL
1,806 posts, read 2,104,163 times
Reputation: 779
It's still confusing to me.....

If I turn in my NJ DL and get a FL DL, register to vote here and spend more than 6 months living here I can then declair I am a FL resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM
 
Location: Back Home In TN…YAY:):)
15,875 posts, read 15,716,906 times
Reputation: 72651
To be a Florida resident you only have to live here for 6 months. How do you have your registration and insurance in SC when you are a resident in NJ and have your license there? Will your insurance company from SC pay on an accident if you have one being that you aren't a resident?

I think you need to make sure your SC registration and insurance doesn't have a time limit for you to change your status. If you have a business in SC, that may be a different story. You can insure and register a business vehicle in a different state from your resident state. I would call your insurance agent in SC and ask if you can keep your car and registration there without your license being there(and if they would pay on a claim).

You will eventually have to pick one state as your residency and follow that state's rules.



I did some quick research. I looks like as long as you have 2 out of these 3, license, registration, or insurance, you are allowed to do it. You may be able to claim FL residency and leave you car insured and registered in SC. Check with your SC insurance company to make sure.

Here is a link:
http://www.findlegaladvice.org/forum...nce-661781.htm

Last edited by younglisa7; 03-07-2011 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Back Home In TN…YAY:):)
15,875 posts, read 15,716,906 times
Reputation: 72651
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
It's still confusing to me.....

If I turn in my NJ DL and get a FL DL, register to vote here and spend more than 6 months living here I can then declair I am a FL resident?
Yes. Once you have a home here or an address here you can get a FL license. After 6 months you will become a resident. You have a home here for 5 months already. You won't be able to file taxes as a FL resident until next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL
1,806 posts, read 2,104,163 times
Reputation: 779
The insurance only cares where the car spends most of it's time, not where your domicile (sp?) is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Back Home In TN…YAY:):)
15,875 posts, read 15,716,906 times
Reputation: 72651
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
The insurance only cares where the car spends most of it's time, not where your domicile (sp?) is.
Then you answered your own question. Keep the cars registered and insured in SC. Change your license from NJ to FL and homestead your home Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL
1,806 posts, read 2,104,163 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Then you answered your own question. Keep the cars registered and insured in SC. Change your license from NJ to FL and homestead your home Did I miss something?
Sound like a (good) plan! Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top