Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times

Advertisements

Alot of jobs in south Florida are cut due to the drop in realestate, But most economists contacted by the Herald-Tribune believe unemployment will continue to climb in the months ahead because of the trickle-down effects from the shrinking residential real estate and home building industries.

Jobless rates up sharply in region
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
So a bunch of construction workers are losing their jobs? Less illegals, yay!

Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
This is just the beginning, expect more job losses as many industries that provide building materials and support (architects, attorneys, etc) cut their expenses. Labor first, then professional services. Time to stop basing Florida's economy on an unsustainable bubble mentality.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:42 PM

Southwest Florida manufacturing also has taken something of a beating the last few months, noted Nancy Engel, executive director of the Manatee Economic Development Council.

Manatee County's CFI Manufacturing-Carter Grandle Furniture, for example, shed 100 employees at the beginning of the year after filing for bankruptcy protection, Engel said.

Wellcraft Marine, also in Manatee, has shed 70 jobs; Honeywell International is cutting 125 manufacturing jobs from its Sarasota County plant; and Cooper Industries is closing its WPI Interconnect Products plant in Manatee County, cutting 99 workers.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Many workers in construction were illegal immigrants who worked for cash. The government had a tough time counting them when they were employed. And it has a tough time counting them when they are laid off.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Many workers in construction were illegal immigrants who worked for cash. The government had a tough time counting them when they were employed. And it has a tough time counting them when they are laid off.
True. I doubt they are being included in the unemployment stats.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
True. I doubt they are being included in the unemployment stats.
I doubt it too.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,134,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Southwest Florida manufacturing also has taken something of a beating the last few months, noted Nancy Engel, executive director of the Manatee Economic Development Council.

Manatee County's CFI Manufacturing-Carter Grandle Furniture, for example, shed 100 employees at the beginning of the year after filing for bankruptcy protection, Engel said.

Wellcraft Marine, also in Manatee, has shed 70 jobs; Honeywell International is cutting 125 manufacturing jobs from its Sarasota County plant; and Cooper Industries is closing its WPI Interconnect Products plant in Manatee County, cutting 99 workers.

And now Tropitone burned up on Saturday.....

Old 07-23-2007, 09:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
This statement reflects an ignorant and self-centered attitude! Most people with that mentality cry the loudest when circumstances start affecting their lifestyle!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
This statement reflects an ignorant and self-centered attitude! Most people with that mentality cry the loudest when circumstances start affecting their lifestyle!
You are exactly right... I should of thunk before I posted...seriously, this is just the beginning. My main objection is that I just don't see a link between the housing industry and other industries, especially when there are plenty of well qualified people for all sorts of jobs who need career opportunities down here in other industries. My statement could of been considered close minded, and I should of made a statement more in tune with what I was actually thinking.

I actually think the crash is going to be good for most industries, because cheaper land will make Florida, once again, intriguing for corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida