Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM

9 posts, read 312,962 times

Advertisements

Ok so here is my situation. My wife and I are in our late 20's, I turn 30 next year... We have two wonderful kids that are in elementary school. Currently I have a "work from home" job that pays around 95k a year before taxes. My wife doesn't work at the moment but is interested in finding something she enjoys... She use to be in Real Estate but since the market crashed she is looking at other options. We're both Caucasian in race and would prefer a place that isn't racially divided... I'm not racist but I've lived in places that if you're a white boy caught on the wrong part of town you're in trouble... Just saying the world isn't the utopia we all like to believe it is... :-) We both vote republican too and would like a similar area...

So why Florida? Well I am originally from Louisiana and LOVE to fish and so does the rest of the family! We love the water and love to fish. The humidity isn't a big deal as I consider South Texas and Louisiana to have some of the worst humidity in the nation. I am just curious on what would be a good area for schools, families, beaches and fishing? I was considering North or South Carolina but they seem very different especially as you go further North. Obviously an area with great education, low crime, friendly neighbors (if this exist anymore), good beaches, and saltwater fishing would be ideal. I'm starting to think that maybe this place doesn't exist... heh...

So there you have it... While I realize that beaches and fishing come after education and family it would be nice to have both. I guess if I can't I'll stay in Texas, even though things seem to be getting worse here too... My job is stable for the most part and is completely work from home so home can really be anywhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:08 PM

19 posts, read 108,157 times
Gainesville Florida is what your looking for. the southwest side (Haile Plantation) is a great place to raise a family. GREAT schools and family atmosphere. also since its one hour off both coasts no serious hurricane threat exists. if your into fishing then Ceday Key (one hour west) is THE place. Gainesville is a college town so everything is well kept and really nice. I live in Indiana now but lived in Gainesville and loved it. I also have family in Corpus Christi, TX and it seems nice too. but def try Gainesville!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM

@mEYEke812

Thanks for the quick response. Gainesville looks nice from what I can see through Google street view, youtube and Panaramio...

I think my wife and I want to live closer to the water though... Gainesville still kind of looks like "any town USA" from what I can see via the internet, very vanilla, but I could be wrong as I'm sure the internet doesn't do the city justice... However, that is what we have here in Texas, "any town USA", rows of bedroom communities (e.g. Frisco, TX)... We want a change as we're tired of endless suburbs and nothing to do but go to the local park or lake... I swear I feel like a damn hamster in a cage sometimes... LOL... So we're looking at places that offer more in terms of recreation. Hope this helps...

Any more suggestions? Thanks again for the helpful information!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM

What about the Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach, FL areas?

Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpj82 View Post
What about the Holmes Beach and Bradenton Beach, FL areas?
I think you would love Holmes Beach, Bradenton Beach. Anna Maria Island in general is one of the nicest "old Florida" areas you will find, especially here on the Gulf Coast. Plus the little fishing village of Cortez is also nearby. Definitely you should check it out.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 45,253 times
St. Augustine, Florida! SmartMoney just rated it one of the top 10 (#3) best new places to retire. St. Augustine is one of the BEST places in the country for fishing! Oh and schools? St. Augustine is in St. Johns County where you will find the #1 schools in all of Florida. Things to do? St. Augustine is our Nation's oldest city so we have tons of history, activities for locals and tourists, great artist colony, the Jax Symphony and Jaguars up just up the road a piece in Jacksonville, the list goes on and on.
http://http://activerain.com/blogsview/1913088/st-augustine-is-a-great-place-to-live (broken link)

Old 03-10-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 41,844 times
FLORIDA hands down! I lived in both Texas and Florida. Texas was OK, but it
is a big bare state with a lot of empty land for a reason. It is not as desireable. Florida however has absolutely beautiful beaches within 20 miles of anywhere. What a wonderful place for a child to grow up. Children who are raised in this area and take advantage of the outdoors are very healthy. St. Augustine/Ponte Vedra Beach are in St. Johns County with the best schools in the state. Beautiful beaches, and convenient amenities round out the perfect lifestyle. visit [url=http://www.northeastfloridabeachhomes.com]North East Florida Beach Homes - Real Estate - Homes For Sale - Rentals[/url] for our area information.
Don't hesitate to contact me at 904-349-6163, realtorrich@ bellsouth.net
Christine Rich
REALTOR, RE/MAX Unlimited

Old 03-11-2011, 04:33 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
How about the Keys?

The flag there is housing costs and education standards.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,608 times
We're both Caucasian in race and would prefer a place that isn't racially divided... I'm not racist but I've lived in places that if you're a white boy caught on the wrong part of town you're in trouble... Just saying the world isn't the utopia we all like to believe it is... :-) We both vote republican too and would like a similar area...

WOW.............republicans, who'd have guessed!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:45 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
Choose Texas it is a more prosperous state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.