U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:38 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,155,968 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/us...rida.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 PM

5,311 posts, read 8,127,264 times
Tough times ahead and Scott definitely has a "not your father's politician" approach. As long as it is constitutional, I don't have a problem with someone who is less interested in playing political games and just gets the job done. As we all know, elections have consequences. Only time will tell if he, and the govs from NJ and WI, will be good or bad in the long run. I don't see how this makes Florida a laughing stock, though.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Tough times ahead and Scott definitely has a "not your father's politician" approach. As long as it is constitutional, I don't have a problem with someone who is less interested in playing political games and just gets the job done. As we all know, elections have consequences. Only time will tell if he, and the govs from NJ and WI, will be good or bad in the long run. I don't see how this makes Florida a laughing stock, though.
Florida has long been a laughingstock. From it's schools to the inability to even run a election. Here is a current poll thats running.
What do you think? - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
So far 18% approve of what the governor is doing. The 82% go from "He hasn't done anything yet" to " How did this guy ever get elected".
Rep or Dem it will be clear he may be the most unqualified governor ever elected to office in this state or maybe any state. He has no idea, none, what he is doing.
I hope you read that whole article in the NY Times. Of the 50 states how many governors make the national news on almost a daily basis? And not for the good things they are doing, for being an obvious unqualified idiot.
Yes, Florida can be proud, we proved again we are a backwards state.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Obviously, I don't share your negative view of Florida and my opinion of Scott is still incomplete but I thought he did the right thing with the rail money (not because I don't like rail but I just don't believe in spending money you don't have.) Scott's been in the news because of the rail issue and because the press is largely democrat, largely liberal, and has a vested interest in seeing republicans look bad in any way possible. As for not being qualified to be a governor, I don't know what that means. I don't think it's necessary to have prior political experience to be a gov. Besides, putting unqualified, inexperienced pols in positions of high authority seems to be the norm over the past couple of years.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,638,699 times
^^^Did you even read the article?
It states at least 2 things Scott has done that are are against the state Constitution.
How that equals "negative", I'm sure I dont know.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:18 PM

212 posts, read 721,096 times
I didn't vote for him but I'm sure glad he turned down the rail money. Got my vote for that!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Obviously, I don't share your negative view of Florida and my opinion of Scott is still incomplete but I thought he did the right thing with the rail money (not because I don't like rail but I just don't believe in spending money you don't have.) Scott's been in the news because of the rail issue and because the press is largely democrat, largely liberal, and has a vested interest in seeing republicans look bad in any way possible. As for not being qualified to be a governor, I don't know what that means. I don't think it's necessary to have prior political experience to be a gov. Besides, putting unqualified, inexperienced pols in positions of high authority seems to be the norm over the past couple of years.
He has been on Fox news almost every week since he has been elected. He is not being singles out, he is a media wh0$e as long as it is Right wing. He won't even talk to the press unless he is sure it is a set up and he is being questioned by a stooge. He is just a uglier version Palin.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
^^^Did you even read the article?
It states at least 2 things Scott has done that are are against the state Constitution.
How that equals "negative", I'm sure I dont know.
LOL...yes, I read the article! Did you? Tell me "at least 2 things" that Scott has done that were unconstitutional. Someone's opinion of Scott's ability to do or not do something is not the same thing as his doing something that is unconstitutional. In fact, there has only been one thing that was challenged and Scott won that one in the state supreme court. (Just in case you need that explained, and I don't mean that in a rude way, that means he did not overstep his constitutional power.) You know, you need to read these things carefully and not just look for things that reaffirm your already pre-conceived opinions. If you don't like the guy, fine. I'm not wild about him either but I try to look for truth and solutions and I try to leave the emotional rhetoric behind. Granted, it's not easy!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,098,064 times
Quote:
I agree with this post but, I do think some experience in government is a good thing but then, I would wonder if they aren't part of the good ole boy network. Florida is supposed to have a corrupt government, according to some review that I saw a while back.

I do not agree with Scott's complete agenda so far but, I do like the slash and burn tactics. That is the only thing that is going to work. Of course, the Adam PUtnams are laying back, waiting to come back in when they think the slash and burn republicans have done all they can do and then we are back to the good ole boy network. Adam Putnam didn't fool me a bit when he withdrew from to a state job, waiting for the political tides to turn. Rubio was just pushed into his (Putnam's) shoes.

Our local central Florida paper is a NYT appendage and it is a liberal rag. And, God forbid, they ever, ever, print anything about illegal immigration.
I buy the sunday edition for the crossword puzzles.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:39 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,638,699 times
Quote:
LOL...yes, I read the article! Did you? Tell me "at least 2 things" that Scott has done that were unconstitutional.
I have to copy and paste the revelatory parts of the article for you, really????
Here ya go.

"In his first two months in office, the governor has irritated the State Senate’s powerful Budget Committee chairman by selling two state jets without legislative permission, a constitutional no-no. The governor wanted the sale done quickly (he uses his own plane), and he succeeded."

"He annoyed the ambitious Senate president, as well as a host of leaders in conservative states, by trying to kill off a database to track the fraudulent distribution of addictive prescription drugs before it was up and running. He did so without consulting lawmakers, calling the monitoring system an invasion of privacy. "

There was a reason he chose to unveil the budget in Eustis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or