Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times

Advertisements

WTH is wrong with the politicians in Tallahassee?????
Photographing cows or other farm scenery could land you in jail under Senate bill | The Florida Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,189 times
That is completely absurd.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,404,922 times
I want all of you to strike an estimate of what this law could mean as a precedent by juxtapositioning the idea of people being photographed at every street corner by their government, like it's currently being done in England, against a law that imprisons citizens for taking their own pictures using technicalities like the definition of private property! We already live in a surveillance society. The only thing that keeps us from going over the rails and becoming the horrendous dystopia that George Orwell depicted in 1984 is the fact that we have a BALANCE OF POWER. The governments can film us? Fine We can film them back and keep everyone advised of their next move in case we need to oppose it! But a law like what is being proposed here, takes that power away from us citizens. It essentially says "Only the officers in authority have the right to take pictures". I hope this bill is struck down with a vengeance!!! I'm 3000 miles away. There is little I can do to change the course of this thing. I hope that those of you who live there will take an aggressive stance and alert every one you know to this trampling of our constitutional rights!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I want all of you to strike an estimate of what this law could mean as a precedent by juxtapositioning the idea of people being photographed at every street corner by their government, like it's currently being done in England, against a law that imprisons citizens for taking their own pictures using technicalities like the definition of private property! We already live in a surveillance society. The only thing that keeps us from going over the rails and becoming the horrendous dystopia that George Orwell depicted in 1984 is the fact that we have a BALANCE OF POWER. The governments can film us? Fine We can film them back and keep everyone advised of their next move in case we need to oppose it! But a law like what is being proposed here, takes that power away from us citizens. It essentially says "Only the officers in authority have the right to take pictures". I hope this bill is struck down with a vengeance!!! I'm 3000 miles away. There is little I can do to change the course of this thing. I hope that those of you who live there will take an aggressive stance and alert every one you know to this trampling of our constitutional rights!
Um.....I could only bear to read the first and last sentence of your post.
But I think you are saying to protest the proposed law I posted....yes, that was the whole point in posting it.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:50 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Well, I mean, who needs to take pictures of people inside a McDonald's anyway?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,011 times
It's for your own good, they promise.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Well, I mean, who needs to take pictures of people inside a McDonald's anyway?
Huh?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:20 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
kshe95girl, it looks like we can finally agree on something. Perfect example of not only a stupid waste of taxpayers' money but clearly a quid pro quo to a wealthy campaign donor...or, at least I hope that's what it is because, if it is not, well...too strange to contemplate.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
kshe95girl, it looks like we can finally agree on something. Perfect example of not only a stupid waste of taxpayers' money but clearly a quid pro quo to a wealthy campaign donor...or, at least I hope that's what it is because, if it is not, well...too strange to contemplate.
I've been having a wth moment about this whole thing since I found out about it....I mean, what good does this do?
I live in a rural area, I like to take pix of the changing seasons around me....its so strange to think that pix like this could be illegal soon....

Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
It won't happen. It appears to be an anti-PETA measure, not an intellectual property protection measure. I doubt there are serious issues with industrial spying going on among farmers and ranchers. Don't mean to offend anyone but PETA has been known to be zealous and they probably gave a big donor a headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: