U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2006, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 22,246 times

Advertisements

Hi all...

We will be moving to the Kissimmee area, Bellalago gated community right on the west side of Lake toho. Disney Imagineers gave my brother and I a offer we could not refuse . We are coming from Southern California.

We were hoping we could get tips on which is the best way to go for high speed internet? We use earthlink/mindspring cable out here, it's very fast and reliable. Whats the fatsest and or best for our new Kissimmee area? Roadrunner cable? Any other suggestions?

For Tv, we are probably going with dish network satellite. We love the platimum HD package. Any better ideas than this?

Thanks for any help, it's appreaciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 03:50 AM

800 posts, read 2,811,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
Hi all...

We will be moving to the Kissimmee area, Bellalago gated community right on the west side of Lake toho. Disney Imagineers gave my brother and I a offer we could not refuse . We are coming from Southern California.

We were hoping we could get tips on which is the best way to go for high speed internet? We use earthlink/mindspring cable out here, it's very fast and reliable. Whats the fatsest and or best for our new Kissimmee area? Roadrunner cable? Any other suggestions?

For Tv, we are probably going with dish network satellite. We love the platimum HD package. Any better ideas than this?

Thanks for any help, it's appreaciated.
Bellalago is a lovely community. Congradulations! I have a house right down the road!

I like Direct TV but I love the NFL Ticket! What can I say? I'm a big football fan.

I recommend you steer clear of Road Runner and go with the DSL in your area. DSL is more consistent. When power is out, Road Runner is out. During hurricanes in 2004, many lost power for over a week! DSL is only out if your phone services is out. I never lost my phone service due to the hurricanes but lost power for three hurricanes. I have a generator for power but that does not get your cable tv, cable phone or cable Internet working since it's controlled from the cable company itself.

Good luck with your move, PM me if you need any help with company providers in the area.

Old 08-26-2006, 11:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 5,026,609 times
Not specific to your area, but I agree with Dee2e. We used to have cable TV and internet. When it's working, the cable internet is the fastest. However, we had no cable after hurricanes Frances, Jeanne or Wilma. We had generator power but no cable connection.

Our neighbors, with DSL and a satellite TV dish, had phone, internet and TV right through the storms, let alone afterwards. It didn't take me long to catch on; we now have Dish Network and Bell South DSL.

We also save a little money over the cable setups and, even better, I have a Dish receiver for my RV that adds only $5/month to the bill (I did have to buy a separate antenna for the RV), and I can have satellite TV anywhere we travel.

While the DSL is a little slower than cable internet, I don't notice the difference. However, I don't download music or play online games, and I only occasionally download large files.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 22,246 times
Dee2e & pslOldTimer ...... .....Big thanks, real helpful. You guys both get a bonus rep point cookie from me....

I will go with dish network. As for internet I am leaning towards Cable .... I know, it's sounds risky, but I want and need my speed. Now the question is do I sacrifice a little down time for a few days or so, for the speed of up time most of the time?

I get about 600 to 800 Kbs per second, roughly about 1.5 seconds per meg. What do you guys get with your DSL over there? I recall DSL over here was about 150KBs per second.

Ok again, thanks very much for your input, it's appreaciated.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:41 PM

800 posts, read 2,811,851 times
Quote:
Dee2e & pslOldTimer ...... .....Big thanks, real helpful. You guys both get a bonus rep point cookie from me....

I will go with dish network. As for internet I am leaning towards Cable .... I know, it's sounds risky, but I want and need my speed. Now the question is do I sacrifice a little down time for a few days or so, for the speed of up time most of the time?

I get about 600 to 800 Kbs per second, roughly about 1.5 seconds per meg. What do you guys get with your DSL over there? I recall DSL over here was about 150KBs per second.

First, you are welcome.

My experience with road runner is that when I first got it, I was the only one in my neighborhood. It flew. Then as more got online, it crawled. I called and called. They told me that they will come out monthly for 6 months and if I prove the service is slow, they'll investigate the line. I just didn't have that much time to spend getting back my highspeed. I went with DSL, love it, it's rarely down.

Everyone has their good and bad days but for me, road runner started good and went downhill very quickly.

Whatever you chose, good luck!

Old 08-26-2006, 01:41 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,405,378 times
Quote:

I have comcast cable and I just tested it here http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
and got 3400. The thing is, since hurricane Wilma it can't be trusted. We didn't have internet for five week after the hurricane and it hasn't been right since. I was down for three days only two weeks ago and when it rains it may go off for a day or so.

I am thinking of going to Bell south DSL myself. Anybody want to test their DSL connection and compare it to comcast. If it is even close I am going to switch. I can't take losing my internet so often anymore. It doesn't seem they can get everything fixed around here.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:41 PM

802 posts, read 2,610,195 times
I would just get both Road Runner and DSL if I were you, if a reliable Internet connection is a need for work. I wouldn't trust either one by itself. You can get DSL-Pro, for $25/month and with a basic phone line comes to $40. Perfect insurance.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:31 PM

1,305 posts, read 5,026,609 times
I just tried the Speakeasy speed test using BellSouth DSL and got the following results:

Download Speed: 1227 kbps (153.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 208 kbps (26 KB/sec transfer rate)

This was at 7:30 PM on a Saturday everning, surely a busy time on the 'net.

We have to top plan from Bellsouth at something like $32.95 per month plus what seems to be nearly $99 per month in taxes, etc.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:41 PM

802 posts, read 2,610,195 times
PSL, I have double the speed at half your price!

Download Speed: 2510 kbps (313.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 416 kbps (52 KB/sec transfer rate)

Plan rate is $17.95/month and an additonal $10 for the basic phone line which is used for incoming calls for the kids.

I'd look at alternatives!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 AM

31 posts, read 102,293 times
you HOA that you will be paying actually includes brighthouse cable a internet connection. And if you pay some extra money you can get a tivo for it and it includes all the standard HD channels. I currently have dish network like it but the customer service is far from good. I will be moving to bella lago in 1 month from now in our new home see you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or