Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
but, what happens when someone wants to paint their house lime green or some other bright color?
They get to do it, what's wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:46 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester View Post
[i]

I can't understand that either, my house and land is mine I don't have to ask permission from no one , like I just built a deck, soon I'll be putting a front porch, the if my mum wants to move in I'll build an extension.
........well, HOA aside, the city wants you to have a permit pulled for all those things you mentioned, so technically, you still have to get "approval" from someone .

Old 07-30-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
but, what happens when someone wants to paint their house lime green or some other bright color?
They get to do it, what's wrong with that?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times
me personally, i'd be a little ticked. but that's me.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 PM

143 posts, read 869,323 times
riv

smarty pants

Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
o.k. peoples/humans,
i am wondering about all the negative stereotypical classifications that seem so prevalant on the florida forums. i havent checked out any other state forums so maybe it is the same on those boards and i am trying not to judge others until ive walked in their shoes but im hoping someone can tell me why there is so much anger in the state. is it just a case of the ole blame game?
i have found myself playing that game before when things dont go my way and it is probably just human nature though i want to rise above it. im speaking of all the yankee, new yawker, northeners, southerners, good ol boys, rednecks, blah blah references i see so often. i noticed a change in my brother's attitude after he moved down there also (he was ranting about blue hairs and new yorkers i think). it seems that everyone is put into a micro-category (not just the typical "youre black and im white") im begininng to worry that fl is the most prejudiced of all the states? wow! say it aint so! and please someone give me some advice as to how to avoid becoming that way once i move down.
let me know if i have it all wrong!
is it really the most prejuduce state? or are you just offended being one of the groups that people are talking about?

you cant look at 2 nice guys (one white and one black) without noticing the difference of skin color ......and you cant paut a redneck and a New Yorker in the same category either......i guess we are being what you would call up front and telling it like it is on our forums......thats just the way we talk.....doesnt mean we are racist because if there was that much hate then you would hear people saying that different water fountans should be used for different group and i dont think anyone on here truly feels that is the case ...we just speak our minds i guess.......how much different is it "really" where you are from and please let us know where you are from to because im sure there are plenty of people from there that live in Florida.....most of us that live in Florida arent from here anyways so you are really judging people from all over....i am personally from here but the culture here is to talk in a direct way because there are lots of northerners here that do and lots of country folks that speak openly to....

Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,257,050 times
True Floridians are far from being snobs...most southerners are down to earth type of people that dont give a darn about what a friend is dressed like when going out and dont see material objects as being the forefront of thier lives......if anyone wants to say its tougher living in highrise projects in a big city then thats thier opinion.....it is just oranges and apples......if you are in NYC you say you have to walk everywhere but there is usually good transportation around when you get tired of the walking so i see it more as a situation where the walking is not as bad in NYC being poor as it is in the south because in NYC most likely you dont have to walk 2 miles to get to a store to buy milk.....in the south if you are poor and dont have a car you have to walk a mile or more sometimes for some milk or toilet paper.....please dont say other places have anything easier because that place can point things out that are tougher then where you are from.......just like a New Yorker can point out that the cold winters can be harsh....they are right ....i know nothing about it being in Florida but i could go back and tell them to go through hurricanes and deal with the humidity and heat when the power goes out after going through a hurricane ....so you see its all oranges and apples

Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
me personally, i'd be a little ticked. but that's me.
Why woukd the actions of someone on their own property affect you? I guess it is really not their property after all.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,337,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Why woukd the actions of someone on their own property affect you? I guess it is really not their property after all.
Oh Tallrick, you know the answer, but fine, make me type it :

p-r-o-p-e-r-t-y v-a-l-u-e-s!

When you go to sell your house and your neighbor's house is painted neon lime green with turquiose trim and the lawn is waist high weeds save for the flock of plastic flamingos........you're going to have a hard time selling .

Your pool of potential buyers will shrink.....maybe into non-existense.

And maybe you really need to sell because you have your heart set on moving to, oh, I don't know, Alabama?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

The thing is that if I see an oddball house or homes with crazy colors, a gas pump or two, traffic lights, bowling balls, big bulldozer painted yellow with the address of the home painted on it, I would consider buying there. When I bought this lot I liked the silly buoy with a flamingo painted on it across the street and the wooden shack painted blue with two cannons. If you want to see a wacky place go to Key West, and it's very expensive!

Remember, in south Florida junkyard land is more valuable than residential land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida