Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 05:54 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times

Advertisements

I know this has been talked about before, so please be patient with me. :-)

I'm moving to Land O' Lakes in 2 weeks. Today I called about getting renters insurance because we will be in an apartment until we find the house we want to buy. The renters insurance rate is about the same as what I pay now. But I asked approximately how much it would cost me for homeowners insurance in that town for a house that's around $275k. She said around $3000.

I'm wondering if it's cheaper if you live more central? Can anyone tell me what they pay for a house that value in other areas? How about Orlando? Anywhere else?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 06:08 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
I am in Jacksonville and pay $879 a year for homeowners insurance and we are very well covered. After reading all the post about everyones insurance going sky high I called my insurance company. they reasured me that they were not expecting those kind of increases for my area.
karla

Old 08-25-2006, 06:16 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I am in Jacksonville and pay $879 a year for homeowners insurance and we are very well covered. After reading all the post about everyones insurance going sky high I called my insurance company. they reasured me that they were not expecting those kind of increases for my area.
karla
Does that include your windstorm? What is the value of your house?
You have to remember your land does not blow away, so if someone pays say $175,000 for a house the house only represents a certain part of the value. You can possibly have a 900 sq. foot house that has a much smaller replacement value then a 3000 sq. foot house..

Old 08-25-2006, 06:28 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Coverage Type Coverage Limit
Dwelling $191,000
Personal Property $143,250
Loss of Use $38,200
Personal Liability - Each Occurrence $300,000
off hand I think we have the standard "hurricane deductible" what is it like 2 % ?
when I questioned the person I spoke to about the dwelling coverage he explained that that is what it would cost to rebuild (this is reviewed and adjusted every year based on the increase of building material) not to buy the house. we are 2100 sq ft. and could put it on the market for around $350k which is what similar houses are selling for
also I should of mentioned that I have USAA ins and every time I get a call from another ins company wanting to give me a "quote" I say I have USAA and they say "nevermind"
karla

Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Coverage Type Coverage Limit
Dwelling $191,000
Personal Property $143,250
Loss of Use $38,200
Personal Liability - Each Occurrence $300,000
off hand I think we have the standard "hurricane deductible" what is it like 2 % ?
when I questioned the person I spoke to about the dwelling coverage he explained that that is what it would cost to rebuild (this is reviewed and adjusted every year based on the increase of building material) not to buy the house. we are 2100 sq ft. and could put it on the market for around $350k which is what similar houses are selling for
also I should of mentioned that I have USAA ins and every time I get a call from another ins company wanting to give me a "quote" I say I have USAA and they say "nevermind"
karla
There should be a part that says Windstorm or something like that. That sounds like a fire and Liability policy.

Quote:
karla
I just found this. It also says they sell to military personal so your rate may be subsidized and not a real world rate.
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...8/14/71403.htm

Last edited by Marka; 08-26-2006 at 12:32 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-25-2006, 08:02 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,667 times
There have been some reasonable rates out there. Our premium has been $780.00 for the last 2 years. It does have the 2% hurricane deductible and a $500 regular deductible. We got the policy when we purchased our new home in January of 05. Our home was built in 04 and is 3200 sq. feet. It was built solidly according to the hurricane codes put in place since Andrew. The insurance on it is actually cheaper than the insurance on our old home which was only 1800 square feet.

HOWEVER, we were recently notified that our current company (Balboa) will no longer be writing policies in the state of Florida as of January 1, 2007. So we will be looking. Would appreciate any recommendations. We are in Orlando.

Just looked up USAA...here is a quote from CNN's website:

USAA. The 7th largest homeowners insurance company in the nation. Available in every state to the military community only.

Last edited by Marka; 08-26-2006 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-25-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
There have been some reasonable rates out there. Our premium has been $780.00 for the last 2 years. It does have the 2% hurricane deductible and a $500 regular deductible. We got the policy when we purchased our new home in January of 05. Our home was built in 04 and is 3200 sq. feet. It was built solidly according to the hurricane codes put in place since Andrew. The insurance on it is actually cheaper than the insurance on our old home which was only 1800 square feet.

HOWEVER, we were recently notified that our current company (Balboa) will no longer be writing policies in the state of Florida as of January 1, 2007. So we will be looking. Would appreciate any recommendations. We are in Orlando.
I have a feeling there was something phony about that. Some how they paid your insurance creating a phony rate as a sales ploy, you never know what is going on.. The rate is just too low in the real world. I would bet when you begin checking your new rate will be 4 to 5 times that old rate.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 PM

Who is THEY? We were the ones who got the insurance. There was no THEY.
We called around until we found a company with the best rates.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Who is THEY? We were the ones who got the insurance. There was no THEY.
We called around until we found a company with the best rates.
You said "We got the policy when we purchased our new home" and it sounded like it was part of some package maybe. I could imagine you being told the insurance on the house is so cheap because the house is so well built. While "they" could have a deal with a company they assist you in using and kicking back to the company to produce a short term low rate making the house look like a bargain to own. I don't put anything past anybody when it comes to selling and money.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM

Nope, nothing like that. We called until we found the policy ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida