Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM

6 posts, read 76,070 times

Advertisements

My future other half has moved there from Michigan now and is working so he was giving me updates on what everyone isn't wearing...

Don't suppose anyone has any good leads on a 1bd around $1200-£1350 a month in Key West? Newlyweds, we ain't proud, just want a place to sleep when I arrive and get settled into life from the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 06:52 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Hi all.

My wife and I are arriving in Key West tomorrow for 5 days of relaxation. I am a Florida born native but moved to VA a long time ago and I have never visited the Keys. I saw on TV some time back that compared two places for their Key Lime pie and I'd like to visit these. One was a restaurant and one was a business making nothing but KL pies I believe. They looked so darn good on TV. Hopefully I'm not expecting too much. Anyone know the name of the places? Also. Any suggestions on must eat places? We're staying at the Silver Palms Inn by the way.
Thanks.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
...one was a business making nothing but KL pies I believe. They looked so darn good on TV.
They are out of business. Award Winning Key Lime Pie on a Stick Best Key Lime Pie Key West Florida

No worries. There are good KL pies all over the Keys.

Try the frozen KL pie on a stick. It's like crack!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Try Santiago's Bodega. It's a bit off the beaten path, but had a great meal there when I visited last. A tapas restaurant.

Oh, and whenever I'm down in Key West I make it a point to stop by Kermit's for Key Lime Pie.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:50 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,888,220 times
We are a family of 5 heading down to the keys for Thanksgiving break. We are staying at the Hawks Cay Resort and plan on heading down to KW at least a couple of times during the week. (hubby is a HUGE Hemmingway fan!)

We want to visit Ft Jefferson and snorkle the dry tortugas, saw that there is the Ferry that offers day trips and was wondering if this was the best way to get there or are there smaller companies that offer trips? We are avid snorklers so any way to get the most/best snorkleing days in are great!
We figure this wll take pretty much the whole day and get back to KW for sunset and a dinner!

We would also like to rent kayak's and visit some isolated islands, coral hot spots etc... any suggestions?

Where are the best from shore snorkling places? Since we have a rental car we mobile and would like to get to some out of the way places.

We have 3 girls from 12-17 so any good sugestions for them would be great also. They are beach water hounds and love sea turtles (spolied them young with St John USVI!!)

A good local tour operator?

Hopefully the water will be warm next week, if not can we rent shorties somewhere?

Thanks so much!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:50 AM

64 posts, read 209,455 times
A few years ago, I think I was on Yahoo.com and saw one of their "Top Places/Beaches" to travel. The resort they featured looked like it had little open "huts" on the beach to stay in, very very Caribbean. It looked like it should have been in the Bahamas! I had book marked that site, but that computer has sense crashed, go figure. Sooo I was wondering if anyone knew of any resorts down there that would match my oh so wonderful description! lol I want to say it may have been in Islamorda(?) and not directly Key West, but not positive. All I know if this place was in a news article on Yahoo.com and the article was either the best beaches in the US or something like that. I tried googling it and had no luck either.

Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
We are a family of 5 heading down to the keys for Thanksgiving break. We are staying at the Hawks Cay Resort and plan on heading down to KW at least a couple of times during the week. (hubby is a HUGE Hemmingway fan!)

We want to visit Ft Jefferson and snorkle the dry tortugas, saw that there is the Ferry that offers day trips and was wondering if this was the best way to get there or are there smaller companies that offer trips? We are avid snorklers so any way to get the most/best snorkleing days in are great!
We figure this wll take pretty much the whole day and get back to KW for sunset and a dinner!

We would also like to rent kayak's and visit some isolated islands, coral hot spots etc... any suggestions?

Where are the best from shore snorkling places? Since we have a rental car we mobile and would like to get to some out of the way places.

We have 3 girls from 12-17 so any good sugestions for them would be great also. They are beach water hounds and love sea turtles (spolied them young with St John USVI!!)

A good local tour operator?

Hopefully the water will be warm next week, if not can we rent shorties somewhere?

Thanks so much!
The Dry Tortugas trip is definitely an all-day thing. Apparently the other tour operator went out of business after the Park Service awarded Yankee Freedom an exclusive contract, so your info for that is at
Dry Tortugas National Park | Fort Jefferson Key West Ferry | Yankee Freedom Not sure if there are any smaller tour operators, most people I knew took one of the two bigger boats out.
The area can also be accessed via Seaplane that is a little pricier.
Seaplane to Dry Tortugas and Ft. Jefferson

Kayaks - I don't have any personal experience to know that any particular tour or rental company are better than the others.

Snorkeling - there aren't a lot of great places to snorkel right from the shore in Key West, but one of my favorite was at Higgs Beach. If you go there you'll see a short pier that runs out along the right side of the beach. At the end of that pier and extending towards the north is an old sea wall. In amongst the sea wall and old pilings you'll see a lot of fish and marine life. The reef is just too far offshore in most places to access from the beach. You might ask some folks at your hotel if they know of any good from the beach snorkeling locations.

I can't give any better info on the last few points than Google can. If you get a chance to rent bikes and go all the way around the island that's a fun time, also a walk through the old cemetery is pretty interesting. Have a wonderful trip, I had a great time living down there for 6 months!

Old 11-24-2011, 04:40 AM

129 posts, read 428,825 times
For those of you who missed FANTASY FEST, here is a link to a gallery of images. Be Warned though, there are some images that were captured for ADULTS only.

Fantasy Fest 2011 - Joe Williams Photography - Florida Keys Photography

Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM

814 posts, read 2,043,645 times
heading to the keys for xmas and new years WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM

55 posts, read 152,330 times
Default Islamorada

for a long weekend Starting this friday

Any thoughts???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida