U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,545,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I support the bill introduced by a member of the FL house to outlaw red light cameras everywhere in the state.
I know, you know, politicians know the only reason for the cameras is to generate revenue. They have nothing to do with 'safety'. Every politician has read the federal studies that show if only 1 second was added to the 'yellow' time, red light running would be reduced by 90% A few cities have done this and guess what. The camera company removed the cameras because they weren't making enough money from them. But what do they and the traffic camera company do? They shorten the 'yellow' time by 1 second to boost revenue. And are the cameras installed at intersections with high accident rates? No, they are installed at intersections with the highest traffic count. This scam should have its name changed from red light camera to revenue camera on traffic lights.
I will never understand why the light changes simultaneously. A 2 second delay between when one turns red and the other turns green would almost eliminate the accidents all together. I have one light near me where I go almost everyday. One is a high speed road 40 MPH. The crossing street is a 25 MPH residential road. When I am at the light on the 25 MPH road I am usually making a left with an arrow. I "NEVER" pull out when the light changes. It is almost without exception if anyone is close on the 40MPH road they come through the light. I would have been killed a dozen time if I was to just jump out when the light changed. Also there is a cross walk and if you are behind the line as you should be, you can't see the crossing traffic till it hits the intersection due to street signs and trees the city has planted. For anyone from Fort Lauderdale this is at sw 9th ave and Davie blvd. I am referring to being south bound on 9th ave.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM

3,737 posts, read 2,867,027 times
Every traffic light in the state has a 1 second delay for red/green. When one direction is changing from green-yellow-red, the intersecting street stays on red for 1 second before changing to green.
the state/cities are making almost all of their money on 1 second red passing. It's the idiots who pass at 2-3-4 seconds or don't even know there was a traffic light that cause the accidents.
Also, if you are waiting to make a left turn but over the white line and the light turns red, you are considered to have run a red light and will get a notice.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM

7,015 posts, read 4,100,543 times
Loosing a license is a pretty tough penalty. Monetary fine proves its point and helps pay for law enforcement.

Been to NYC lately? Cameras all over the place. Keeps crime down. Who cares if the govt is watching you while in public, unless of course one is a criminal who does not want to be seen in their daily activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
If they're a good idea, why the fines? Why not lose your license?

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

And also...where do the cameras stop? Once we start rolling down a slippery slope, it becomes easier and easier to just say "it's ok...it's GOOD...it's for our safety!" and the next thing you know, everything you do is watched by the government.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:00 PM

817 posts, read 1,017,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Who cares if the govt is watching you while in public, unless of course one is a criminal who does not want to be seen in their daily activities.
That's a pretty scary statement.

Do you really trust the government enough to start giving up your privacy?

As for the red light cameras, as has been posted in this thread....

1-If it's about safety, why not just extend the yellow another second? Didn't I read that research has shown that cuts down on accidents by 90%. 90%! That seems like a better way to deal with this.

2-Does anyone here trust the government and/or contractors that run the cameras not to fiddle with the yellow/red timing to maximize revenue? If so, then here are 6 places where it happened... 6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit

3-Many red light camera violations occur on rolling right turns...something that is technically a violation, but not considered a serious traffic hazard. See this story.... L.A. red light cameras clicking for safety or revenue? - latimes.com

Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM

6,181 posts, read 3,069,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I have no respect for cities that profit off of rolling right turns on red or stopping in front of the line, but I also have no sympathy for those who blast straight through or turn left through a red light. So let's make the penalty commensurate with the crime:

Proposed Fine structure:
Stopping in front of the line: $15
Turning right without stopping: $30
Straight through a red light: $158 (the current penalty)
Turning left through a red light: $158 (the current penalty)
Turning right with a "no turn on red" posted: $158 (the current penalty)
Any violation with pedestrians in the crosswalk: add $30.

The advantage for cities would be that the lesser fines for lesser offenses are less likely to be challenged in court, saving the City court costs.

Any thoughts?
Folks in the UK have the right idea of what should be done to red light/speed cameras.Speed Cameras (http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2a.htm - broken link)

Old 03-21-2011, 09:58 AM

3,219 posts, read 3,721,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Stopping in front of the line: $15
That's the worst out of them all. Thank goodness the person at least stopped, now we're going to punish them for it?!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,545,961 times
Quote:
Every traffic light in the state has a 1 second delay for red/green. When one direction is changing from green-yellow-red, the intersecting street stays on red for 1 second before changing to green.
the state/cities are making almost all of their money on 1 second red passing. It's the idiots who pass at 2-3-4 seconds or don't even know there was a traffic light that cause the accidents.
Also, if you are waiting to make a left turn but over the white line and the light turns red, you are considered to have run a red light and will get a notice.
Then there should be a longer wait between lights. My comment about the white line was regarding the city putting a 24" thick light pole combined with several signs creating a completely blind corner. After the light changes you have to creep forward to see what is going on before you can actually safely go. Once a truck for instance makes the decision to try to beat the light at like 40 to 45 MPH they are committed. They can't stop even if they want to if it changes and just run the now red light. One thing is good are the count down timers that tell you how long you have before the light changes. that is not to say someone may not speed up because they feel it may be close but they can make it and end up speeding through what turns out to be a red light. I see it all the time as I am slowing to stop because there is like 2 seconds left as the guy next to me floors it.

Here is what it comes down to. A human being is little more then that gray matter the sits between the ears be it Donald Trump or a bum in the street. Just look around you and the way people live their lives. The ridiculous decisions they make, they pi$$ away their money, abuse their children, abuse drugs and alcohol, cheat in every way they can get away with in every aspect of their lives. Do you really want to be trusting your life and the safety of your family to the average person walking around? Yet you do it every day when you get on our roads. You have to watch out for yourself and not depend on anyone. It would be nice it the human animal was of any value on this earth but it just isn't.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,528,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
That's the worst out of them all. Thank goodness the person at least stopped, now we're going to punish them for it?!
LOL...yeah, I agree. I get the feeling that stopping at a red light shouldn't be as complex as watching replays at an NFL game to see whether the QB "broke the plane." I'd personally love for the penalty to be ZERO (unless you're like half way over the crosswalk endangering pedestrians), but "technically" it is an offense. Note that in my proposal if you didn't stop at all, you'd get the full $158, so there is still incentive to stop.

Also, I think the cameras should be required to take a picture of your face to identify that you are in fact the driver. Of course, this would make the instrumentation more complicated and expensive, lowering the profits of the cities!

Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,528,907 times
Quote:
Is this really the case? If you're past the white line, you're already "in the intersection," and you're allowed to continue turning left in order to clear the intersection. Just like you're allowed to continue if you're half way through the intersection going straight when the light turns red.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:19 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,538,413 times
If the cameras are to be installed, I think the municipalities should have to prove the intersection is actually dangerous, prone to accidents and safety would improve with the cameras. Without some restraint, these things are going to blanket the roads and installed at every single intersection. Put 'em where they're actually needed-don't just use them as a revenue source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida