Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
If the cameras are to be installed, I think the municipalities should have to prove the intersection is actually dangerous, prone to accidents and safety would improve with the cameras. Without some restraint, these things are going to blanket the roads and installed at every single intersection. Put 'em where they're actually needed-don't just use them as a revenue source.
One of the triggers was when a few cities wanted to install them at almost every intersection after the windfall of cash they made from the initial installations. This obviously had nothing to do with the public good, just a gastapo like tactic to to take money from citizens. Being a moving violation this thing would also snowball into higher insurance rates for many people. Effect the driving stylistics of areas that insurance companies use to determine rates resulting in higher insurance rates for all of us. Rake in cash for the the ticket classes you have to take to save the points if you are eligible and probably more things I haven't thought of. Top to bottom this thing is all about money, nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,837,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I have no respect for cities that profit off of rolling right turns on red or stopping in front of the line, but I also have no sympathy for those who blast straight through or turn left through a red light.
The City of Houston was dumb enough to allow the already existing red light cameras that were in use here to be put on the ballot last November and surprise, surprise, the voters voted it down.

The city ended up having to pay steep fines for ending their contract with the provider and it causes hiring freezes and a few layoffs for city workers but it was well worth it.

Those things are more trouble then they're worth!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 518 times
I just spent a couple of thousand dollars in Ft Lauderdale on hotels, meals, and entertainment with my family on vacation. I will not be back. I just got a ticket for going through a red light. The yellow light lasted exactly 4 second. I timed it on the video. This is a total and blatant SCAM to screw people. It has nothing to do with safety whatsoever. Of course I have no recourse because it would be foolish of me to travel back to FL to contest this. So... congratulations Ft Lauderdale.. you screwed me out of $158. However, I will never be back so you might want to consider the tens of thousands of my vacation dollars that you lost before you throw a party. Well done.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,914,100 times
Yeah, the "hearing" you would get is you sit in a room for 5 hours and when they get to your case on the video screen, they automatically say "guilty," it doesn't matter if you're just 1 foot ahead of the line and there's no cross traffic and no pedestrians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida