U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
3,727 posts, read 2,910,866 times
Reputation: 4767

Advertisements

Citizen United vs. FEC.

That was the day that democracy took a back seat to special interests, maybe forever. Absolutely the most corrupt and boneheaded decision by the SCOTUS since the Dred Scott Decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,443 posts, read 17,760,316 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
You think a revolution is more likely to occur before there's a new democratically elected governor? Really? Surely, you cannot be that pessimistic about life here in the US and in Florida. Do you realize what you are saying? Wow....
Of course I realize what I'm saying, I have been intensely interested in history and current events since I was old enough to read.
I'm not a pessimist by any stretch of the imagination, but one starts to see things that remind one of certain historical events, one cant but help to notice and draw conclusions due to unchanging human nature.
I'm not the only one, either......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,236 posts, read 3,199,710 times
Reputation: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Citizen United vs. FEC.

That was the day that democracy took a back seat to special interests, maybe forever. Absolutely the most corrupt and boneheaded decision by the SCOTUS since the Dred Scott Decision.
I agree but I can also see both sides. Freedom of speech is one of those things that tends to be a very good idea when the speech in question supports your personal point of view but not such a great idea when it attacks your point of view. If I remember right, this all started with a film or something about Hillary as a candidate that her supporters didn't want to come out.

If I were king, there would be no political contributions or political advertising from anyone other than an individual. No pacs, no corporations, no unions, no professional lobbyists, etc. involved. I don't see how, if every individual retains their individual right to free speech, prohibiting these other entities from being involved in the political process should be a constitutional violation. However, the SCOTUS makes those calls and we have to trust that they got it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
3,727 posts, read 2,910,866 times
Reputation: 4767
With that decision and unless something DRASTICALLY changes, the odds of ever having a viable third party are zero. As a Reform Party candidate said, "The court has, in effect, legalized foreign countries and foreign corporations to participate in our electoral process." Just look at where the US Chamber of Commerce is getting a huge chunk of their political money now-overseas sources. This is multi-national capitalism at it's absolute worst. Pay attention and remember how things are in Washington and Tallahassee now because you won't recognize it in 10 years.

We, my friends, are being played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,480 posts, read 2,924,250 times
Reputation: 1373
His body language is effeminate. And I'm not just saying that because he sucks as a governor. Watch him next time he's on. I'm not trying to be funny, but I'd like to ask if he has ever had sex with a man - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Part of me wishes he'll just go away after one term, but if he manages to stick around I'd bet his political career goes down in a scandalous blaze of flaming shame involving either a tranny or little boys. Bets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,236 posts, read 3,199,710 times
Reputation: 2577
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
With that decision and unless something DRASTICALLY changes, the odds of ever having a viable third party are zero. As a Reform Party candidate said, "The court has, in effect, legalized foreign countries and foreign corporations to participate in our electoral process." Just look at where the US Chamber of Commerce is getting a huge chunk of their political money now-overseas sources. This is multi-national capitalism at it's absolute worst. Pay attention and remember how things are in Washington and Tallahassee now because you won't recognize it in 10 years.

We, my friends, are being played.
I think you are suggesting that we are being played by the conservative movement, the corporations, all those evil minded-profit-oriented entities out there....those people. I don't know about being played but I agree with the unintended consequences of the decision. What's kind of funny, though, is that your "we are being played" is exactly what Glenn Beck is talking about. I don't listen often so I can't claim to be an expert but I've never heard anyone attack his research or his conclusions, only his style. That's a problem because he seems to be the only mainstream (if you will) media person who is actually connecting all the dots and some of them (at least the few I've seen) are amazing. Yes, I know the dots are all left of center but they are dots none the less.

That's what I was getting at in asking kshe95girl about her expectation that a revolution was coming. I've heard GB make the case that the movers and shakers on the left and the unions (not union members or everyday people--talking about the leaders) have an agenda of exactly that, revolution. They allegedly want to bring down the system and create a socialist/communist system because they say the system now is corrupt. Of course, it is but they never talk about the corruption that exists on their side, too. Anyway, up until yesterday, I would have thought that his 'insight' was a bit over the top. After reading your and kshe95girl's comments, I have to wonder if liberals aren't being played by the left, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
3,727 posts, read 2,910,866 times
Reputation: 4767
Give it up on the Unions already. Only 7% of the workers in America are Unionized, and last time I looked it wasn't illegal to belong to one (at least while I'm writing this-who knows about tomorrow). And Glenn Beck is off his nut, even his bosses think so. If you take what Beck says and flip it 180 degrees, you might find a grain of truth. "They say the system is corrupt"- the system is corrupt! Horribly, devilishly corrupt. Watch the movie "Inside Job" which lays out in perfect detail what caused the collapse in 2009 and how not only didn't any of the criminals go to jail, but are now still making policy. It also explains why much of the rest of the world is shaking their head in amazement as we continue the same economic policies. There's a reason this important movie won an Academy Award. If you can watch that movie and still come away thinking all is right in the world and that Leahman Sachs, AIG, Citigroup et. al are our buddies, well, you've seen something I missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FL
3,236 posts, read 3,199,710 times
Reputation: 2577
I think you missed the point. First of all, it's not the union members. It's the union leaders. I have seen enough "dot connections" to believe what Beck says is true. They are in bed with the communists who want to see our system destroyed first and foremost-that is a fact. If you don't see a problem with that, well ok, but I do, especially since these are the same people who are financially supporting (in a very big way) the democratic party. That's corruption and if you are against corruption then be against it all--don't dismiss it if it doesn't fit your ideological outlook or because it's not big enough for you interms of numbers.

You say Beck's off his nut. Well, how do you know that? Do you watch the shows and listen to the content or do you refuse to listen and just write him off as a nut? I understand why you might but I am telling you that you owe it to yourself to listen to his facts and his connections. They appear to me to be very well researched and factual. If he's wrong, prove it but don't just dismiss the guy. History may show that he was the only one to get any of this right. You seem to enjoy a good conspiracy theory, anyway.

I don't think, judging from your comment, that you even read my previous post. I said the system was corrupt and you are arguing that I am wrong because the system is corrupt and that I should watch a movie to prove it to myself. At least give me the courtesy of trying to understand my message before arguing against it, please? I'd also like to see you acknowledge that there is corruption on both sides not just the side you dislike. How about that? Can you be honest enough to agree with me there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
 
3,246 posts, read 4,132,800 times
Reputation: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Glenn Beck is off his nut
Still, I can't get enough of this!

Glenn Beck's Operation - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 08/13/09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,443 posts, read 17,760,316 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I think you are suggesting that we are being played by the conservative movement, the corporations, all those evil minded-profit-oriented entities out there....those people. I don't know about being played but I agree with the unintended consequences of the decision. What's kind of funny, though, is that your "we are being played" is exactly what Glenn Beck is talking about. I don't listen often so I can't claim to be an expert but I've never heard anyone attack his research or his conclusions, only his style. That's a problem because he seems to be the only mainstream (if you will) media person who is actually connecting all the dots and some of them (at least the few I've seen) are amazing. Yes, I know the dots are all left of center but they are dots none the less.

That's what I was getting at in asking kshe95girl about her expectation that a revolution was coming. I've heard GB make the case that the movers and shakers on the left and the unions (not union members or everyday people--talking about the leaders) have an agenda of exactly that, revolution. They allegedly want to bring down the system and create a socialist/communist system because they say the system now is corrupt. Of course, it is but they never talk about the corruption that exists on their side, too. Anyway, up until yesterday, I would have thought that his 'insight' was a bit over the top. After reading your and kshe95girl's comments, I have to wonder if liberals aren't being played by the left, too.
Heres where you made an erroneous assumption about me....I'm not a "lefty".
And I certainly dont follow their agenda, I dont even know what that is, or if they have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top