Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times

Advertisements

Or at least I am open minded to it. Privatizing public hospitals: Scott orders study of replacing public hospitals - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Have you forgot his health care record? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...

Old 03-24-2011, 08:56 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Ha.... the Gov privatizing public hospitals. I'm sure this guys or his buddies have nothing to gain financially by this move.

Everyone is aware that this guy is a Capital Investor right? He's been extremely successful on buying companies for a good deal and turning around and selling them for 2 - 6 times what he paid for them a few years later.

I'm suspicious of a criminal and capital investor who spends over $60,000,000 of his own money to become Governor and begins to try and privatize many things that were ran by government. Especially when it comes to healthcare, which he ripped off and surely has buddies that will benefit from it.

Private companies can run more efficient and more cost effective than government entities. The only issue I have is that once we get all of these things privatized, what is going to keep these corporations (whose purpose is to make as much money as possible) from taking advantage of the government? "Look, this contract period is going to be 20% more than the last contract period to run the Prison. Sure, you can get bids from another company, but you and I know it is going to cost more... or the same to get a new company in here and settles down to run things. Not to mention, they may run things worse than we do."

It's a slippery slope. If only there were non-profit companies that have full disclosure of their books could run these services.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Ha.... the Gov privatizing public hospitals. I'm sure this guys or his buddies have nothing to gain financially by this move.

Everyone is aware that this guy is a Capital Investor right? He's been extremely successful on buying companies for a good deal and turning around and selling them for 2 - 6 times what he paid for them a few years later.

I'm suspicious of a criminal and capital investor who spends over $60,000,000 of his own money to become Governor and begins to try and privatize many things that were ran by government. Especially when it comes to healthcare, which he ripped off and surely has buddies that will benefit from it.

Private companies can run more efficient and more cost effective than government entities. The only issue I have is that once we get all of these things privatized, what is going to keep these corporations (whose purpose is to make as much money as possible) from taking advantage of the government? "Look, this contract period is going to be 20% more than the last contract period to run the Prison. Sure, you can get bids from another company, but you and I know it is going to cost more... or the same to get a new company in here and settles down to run things. Not to mention, they may run things worse than we do."

It's a slippery slope. If only there were non-profit companies that have full disclosure of their books could run these services.
Totally agree with you - I don't trust this criminal at all.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,605,471 times
Quote:

He's had his hands in health care for a long time. I agree with everything you said here.

When we lived in MI, they tried privatizing some of the prisons and it was/is a horrific, corrupt mess.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
^^^^^This!

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
This may come as a complete shock to you, too! I think all aspects of medicine....hospitals, pharmaceuticals, research, physicians, equipment manufacturers, etc. should be government "owned" and operated without profit. Self-sustaining but non profit. Everybody gets paid what they are paid already but you take out all the marketing and sales costs, the insurance costs and coverages, the advertising, etc., and you limit the liabilities. I'm not saying there CAN'T be private entities, too, because that would be unconstitutional but in effect they won't be able to compete and any research and development that is done privately must be made available to the state. Totally unamerican, I know, but there are some things that should not have a profit component. Since that will never happen, I don't see why research shouldn't be done to see which situation is best for the taxpayers and consumers.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post

Didn't he try that once? And didn't it result in the biggest Medicare fraud in history?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,937,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Since that will never happen, I don't see why research shouldn't be done to see which situation is best for the taxpayers and consumers.
Don't we already have DECADES of research? Cuba? China? How about thousands of Canadians and Europeans who come HERE to use our "backwards" health care system?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:23 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Don't we already have DECADES of research? Cuba? China? How about thousands of Canadians and Europeans who come HERE to use our "backwards" health care system?
The research I was talking about was the research that Scott is calling for to see if making public hospitals private would result in better healthcare at a lower price. It's not a bad idea.

As far as my "ideal medical environment", I don't think anyone has ever done anything like this. I'm not talking about single payer. I'm talking about all aspects of medicine, owned by government, but only to the extent that there's no marketing or profits. All other aspects would be the same. There can still be incentives that motivate higher levels of performance in the same way that profit inspires more research and development but without the final costs being padded with additional profit and marketing costs. People would still excel but they would be compensated for finding ways of improving better care at lower prices. I know it will never happen so it's not worth arguing about and, when it comes right down to it, we have done pretty well so far the way things are now, even with all the warts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: