Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:37 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,320,882 times

Advertisements

I may be headed to Key West for a few days vacation in May. I have spoken to a several people that have been there. The opinions I have heard have been mainly negative. "overrated", "boring", etc... is this just hype?

I don't want to waste money on a bad vacation.

Any feedback RE Key West would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,594 times
BORING???? Are you KIDDING me???? Whoever told you that apparently doesn't know how to have fun. Don't do only the Duval Crawl though, go down to Old Towne, the Schooner Wharf Bar is the BEST! Go out on one of the schooners docked there. Go out on one of the fishing charters, and when you get back take your catch to the Conch Republic Seafood company and they'll cook it up for you. And have a mojito while you're waiting, the best on the island. Have lunch at the Turtle Krawls. Go to Sloppy Joe's and listen to some live music. If you're into that sort of thing, go into the Red Door next to Rick's.
BORING??? I don't know who you've been talking to....

Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I may be headed to Key West for a few days vacation in May. I have spoken to a several people that have been there. The opinions I have heard have been mainly negative. "overrated", "boring", etc... is this just hype?

Key West is fun for a few days. It has a great restaurant scene and plenty of little shops and art galleries. Lots of fishing/diving/boating excursions are available as well, and although Key West itself doesn't have great beaches, you can easily rent a car and drive 35 miles north to Bahia Honda State Park, which has been rated one of the prettiest beaches in the country. It is very convenient to fly into Key West's airport (EYW), which has several flights per day to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Tampa, West Palm Beach, and Atlanta, from which you can connect to any major city in the country. Another option to get there would be flying into Miami (MIA) and driving down. It is a pretty drive but takes 3.5 hours, and even more in traffic.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM

32 posts, read 133,627 times
Key West is a mini-Bourbon street. If you enjoy live music, nearly every bar has great live shows, some unbelievable. A lot of the acts are interactive, and the whole vibe is really fun. There's a real counter culture/bohemian thing going on there, so if you're really conservative and having a family vacation, it could offend at times. I know someone who lived there for a few years and he always used to say:

"If you shook the US back and forth, the ones that couldn't hang on would fall down to Key West."

It's very colorful.

I think Key West is the only place in the continental US where you have access to coral reefs. I have dived (and snorkeled) in many places in the world and especially considering it's convenience Key West is great.

Especially in winter, there's a steady stream of cruise ships. When the ships are in port, the little island can be pretty crowded and touristy. And then all of a sudden you look around and it's laid back and relaxed again and the ships are gone.

It's one of my favorite places, and definitely worth checking out. Mr. Cool's right about Bahia Honda - its a great spot. I would avoid the drive from MIA if you're only there for a few days. Even when there's no traffic, it always seems to take FOREVER because you're always stopping and the speed limit is like 40 the whole way. It is a nice drive though.

Just my .02. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,339 times
If you get a chance to go to Key West, do it! I posted some pictures on my way there below. One of the best places in FL to visit and spend a few days.

Pictures of Tampa Bay area

Old 01-21-2009, 08:25 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,594 times
We LIKE the drive down, IF you have the time of course. There's lot to see and stop and do on the way.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post

It is worth one visit IMHO and I have been there many times, but there are a few things about Key West everyone should know before they go.

Scuba diving, snorkeling, fishing and drinking are the primary activites there. The town itself is quaint, historical, entertaining, and worth a visit, but repeat visitors are usually into scuba, snorkeling, fishing, drinking, and the numerous strip clubs.

Do not go there for Spring Break unless you enjoy being vomited on by obnoxious students.

The South Duval street is something of a gay mecca, which is really only a concern for homophobes, to the rest of us it is either no big deal or just adds some extra color.

The beaches are awful. If it is nice beaches you want, go elsewhere - especially the Gulf Coast and Panhandle.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
Key West is a mini-Bourbon street. If you enjoy live music, nearly every bar has great live shows, some unbelievable. A lot of the acts are interactive, and the whole vibe is really fun. There's a real counter culture/bohemian thing going on there, so if you're really conservative and having a family vacation, it could offend at times. I know someone who lived there for a few years and he always used to say:

"If you shook the US back and forth, the ones that couldn't hang on would fall down to Key West."

It's very colorful.

I think Key West is the only place in the continental US where you have access to coral reefs. I have dived (and snorkeled) in many places in the world and especially considering it's convenience Key West is great.

Especially in winter, there's a steady stream of cruise ships. When the ships are in port, the little island can be pretty crowded and touristy. And then all of a sudden you look around and it's laid back and relaxed again and the ships are gone.

It's one of my favorite places, and definitely worth checking out. Mr. Cool's right about Bahia Honda - its a great spot. I would avoid the drive from MIA if you're only there for a few days. Even when there's no traffic, it always seems to take FOREVER because you're always stopping and the speed limit is like 40 the whole way. It is a nice drive though.

Just my .02. Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.
I would second this. Key West is not for everyone but I really enjoy it when it is in that laid-back, uncrowded Bohemian state. Not so much during tourist season....

Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 35,218 times
key west is awesome, and i grew up there so take it from me. i agree with a lot what crisp has to say. a vacation is what you make it, though. key west is key west..

Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 PM

207 posts, read 940,103 times
Key West is basically New Orleans on the Ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida