Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,365,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Just go by USNews general rankings. Obviously, UF and UM have the two best law schools as well.
Err UF and FSU are the top two law schools in the state, UM is about 30 spots behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:48 AM

226 posts, read 1,216,660 times
i would stay in-state if you are going to have most of your tuition paid for. uf might be the best option for you. michigan and georgia tech are good schools but you may end up graduating with a lot of debt.

at my workplace, if someone says their alma mater is somehow academically superior to mine, i simply bring up the fact that "you work at the same place i do." i've worked with ivy league morons as well as brilliant people who graduated from no-name bottom-tier universities. your future success is largely determined by you (your work ethic, character, people skills, etc.), not by what school you attended.

i graduated from uf with an engineering degree. i was going to attend georgia tech, but the price tag turned me off. i also visited their campus and hated it.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times
Not to mention that the only way you're going to get into U of Michigan as an out of state student with an unweighted 3.6 gpa is if you're a recruited student athlete or have a parent willing to donate a building.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM

413 posts, read 815,959 times
UT-Austin is an amazing engineering school

Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,032,824 times
Default Law school rankings

Top 2011 Law School Rankings

UF rated 47, FSU 50, Miami 77 in most recent national law school rankings.

FSU's engineering program isn't that great, but FSU is just as good or better than Miami or UF in many other programs.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM

817 posts, read 2,240,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UF and Miami are the clear top two schools in the state. UM tuition is so much higher than UF that it makes it a pretty poor value when comparing the two.

Also FSU is not a college town. The only college town in Florida is Gainesville and maybe Deland.
This post is incorrect in many ways, but one is that Tallahassee is a college town. It also is home to the state government, but really, the place is dominated by FSU. In the summer, it's a ghost town comparatively.

Also, there is no one school in the state that is way above the rest. There are several "good" schools in the state, several decent schools, and as a whole, higher education is a bargain compared to most states because tuition is very low relative to most state schools.

As has been mentioned, your major may determine which school is best for you. UF has the best (almost the only) Ag school...a good college of journalism...the best engineering school in the state. FSU has tremendous programs in the arts, crim justice, and poli sci....UM has a very well-regarded architecture school...etc...

Overall, here's a good guide if your major is not a deciding factor...

If you're looking for a traditional college experience at a large state school, UF and FSU are the only places you'll find it.

UCF and USF are working at that, but they're still largely commuter.

If you want to be in a larger city with a state school, those two are the way to go. They provide the large city experience with some of the aspects of a traditional school.

If you don't care about price, and want an intimate college experience that has some trappings of traditionalism, then UM might work for you.

If traditional college experience doesn't matter and city size doesn't either, then there are a bunch of other options...UNF, UWF, FAU, FGCU....

If you want an artsy, liberal arts college experience at public school prices, New College is awesome for that.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,041,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post

at my workplace, if someone says their alma mater is somehow academically superior to mine, i simply bring up the fact that "you work at the same place i do."
I love that.

Lots of great posts and I bookmarked a few.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 AM

26,825 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
at my workplace, if someone says their alma mater is somehow academically superior to mine, i simply bring up the fact that "you work at the same place i do." i've worked with ivy league morons as well as brilliant people who graduated from no-name bottom-tier universities. your future success is largely determined by you (your work ethic, character, people skills, etc.), not by what school you attended.
Exactly!

The Top 50 this or that in the end doesn't matter. In this day and age the most economical route is the smartest. The college that offers the best financial aid package should be your top choice if it's anywhere near tolerable as a place to live for four years.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:04 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,481,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
This post is incorrect in many ways, but one is that Tallahassee is a college town. It also is home to the state government, but really, the place is dominated by FSU. In the summer, it's a ghost town comparatively.

Also, there is no one school in the state that is way above the rest. There are several "good" schools in the state, several decent schools, and as a whole, higher education is a bargain compared to most states because tuition is very low relative to most state schools.

As has been mentioned, your major may determine which school is best for you. UF has the best (almost the only) Ag school...a good college of journalism...the best engineering school in the state. FSU has tremendous programs in the arts, crim justice, and poli sci....UM has a very well-regarded architecture school...etc...

Overall, here's a good guide if your major is not a deciding factor...

If you're looking for a traditional college experience at a large state school, UF and FSU are the only places you'll find it.

UCF and USF are working at that, but they're still largely commuter.

If you want to be in a larger city with a state school, those two are the way to go. They provide the large city experience with some of the aspects of a traditional school.

If you don't care about price, and want an intimate college experience that has some trappings of traditionalism, then UM might work for you.

If traditional college experience doesn't matter and city size doesn't either, then there are a bunch of other options...UNF, UWF, FAU, FGCU....

If you want an artsy, liberal arts college experience at public school prices, New College is awesome for that.
You can TRY to put FSU with UF and Miami as much as you like but rankings and reputation don't justify your theory/logic.

College towns aren't state capitals. A college town is Chapel Hill/Athens/etc.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,220,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You can TRY to put FSU with UF and Miami as much as you like but rankings and reputation don't justify your theory/logic.

College towns aren't state capitals. A college town is Chapel Hill/Athens/etc.
I think Austin, TX and Madison, Wisconsin might disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida