U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 PM

780 posts, read 831,830 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous. No, I don't agree that the child should get kicked out of school, it's not their fault. But the school has really gone too far. Guess what, I'm allergic to soy products, all pork products (bacon, ham, pepperoni, sausages), some fish, most shellfish. When I was in school I never had a problem with allergies. I always had to bring my own lunch because the school would sometimes not offer anything besides pork or fish, but I never made a big deal about it. I would just politely ask my friends who were eating pork to not touch me or my food and that's it. Some days it would be worse because even the smell of the pork in the cafeteria would make my eyes water and the inside of my nose to swell up. I would just eat outside. Big deal. This is preposterous.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,654,341 times
My daughter is lactose intolerant, no dairy at all, should I have milk thrown out of her school??? She is smart enough not to drink it.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM

21,675 posts, read 31,611,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
My daughter is lactose intolerant, no dairy at all, should I have milk thrown out of her school??? She is smart enough not to drink it.
Growing up, I was too.

People expect their child to be educated without having to deal with unreasonable requests. We should be teaching our children to be accommodating to others. However, there is a fine line between caring for others and going far beyond for one student.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,302,437 times
This whole thing is ridiculous. Both sides are going too far. The school is making unreasonable demands of all of the students. What if my child is allergic to the oral disinfectant you are trying to force her to use 3 times a day? It is very possible. U.K. Woman Dies in Dentist's Chair After Allergic Reaction - FoxNews.com . I know this isn't exactly the same, but it is just showing that you can be allergic to anything.

There is a point where it goes from trying to protect one child (banning peanut products from the school) to distracting the students from getting a good education. I also don't think it is fair to impose these rules on my child. Maybe I don't want my child to wash her hands that often because I am trying to build up her immune system. (I am not saying this is true. It is just an example.) Also, how do the parents protect her when they take her to the grocery store, the mall, etc? I am sure they don't walk into the mall and tell everyone they need to all wash their hands, wipe down every surface with a disinfectant, use an oral disinfectant, and then have the peanut sniffing dog go through the entire mall before this girl enters.

On the other hand, the people trying to get this girl kicked out of school are going a bit extreme. Of course, I don't have all of the facts so they may have tried this already, but couldn't they have just asked to have the rules lightened up a bit? Maybe started with fighting the strict rules before kicking her out? Like I said though, they may have already tried that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida